• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much muscle before starting plyometrics?

Here do this 3 days a week.

Squat 3 x 5
Power Clean 5 x 3
Push Press 3 x 5
Chinups 3 x 5

That will bring up your strength and add some explosiveness. Increase your lifts by 2.5kg to 5kg every week keep it up until you can not progress easily. You can add any extra ab work or some bicep curls etc etc at the end of the session if you really want. Go play and practice basketball, lots of half court games played hard. Let us know what your starting lifts are and make a log on here so we can give y

Barry, I too play basketball and at just under 6.1" I wasn't able to touch the ring. I used the training programs from this site thefreetofly dot com (sorry I can't post real link yet) and within a few weeks I was hanging of the ring with two hands.

Last edited:
I love that video aussieballer, I watch it all the time.
"can squats cure cancer?"
"yes!"

Sticky: You're sensitive MF

xD

Nice vid aussiballer [from the same program, there are great iPhone vs HTC Evo vids]

Barry, I too play basketball and at just under 6.1" I wasn't able to touch the ring. I used the training programs from this site thefreetofly dot com (sorry I can't post real link yet) and within a few weeks I was hanging of the ring with two hands.

Hey, that's cool mate. Looks like a good site.

Which routine did you start with?

[TheFreeToFly]

Also, after looking through all of the above^, I've noticed a complete lack of Bench Press. On this forum, and others, I've been recommended Bench Press to improve the strength of my passes.

Should I continue doing Bench Press, or just follow 'TheFreeToFly' guide to the letter?

Thank you,

Barry_

Is The Strength Routine, the routine I should begin with?

I think that's what they've been trying to tell you for the entire post :) I also play basketball in my free time and my guess is that if you can't touch the ring at 6'2", you're probably pretty weak. Getting on Starting Strength will only make you better on the court. It will add a few inches to your vert but that isn't the only benefit. I guarantee you will notice how much better you can play just from being stronger. Catching rebounds will be a cinch at 6'2" :p

Yup pretty much what SkinnyKid is trying to say, increase your all round strength well definitely improve all aspects of your game. I do a 5 day weights program and incorporate plyometrics into 3 of them days.

One of the biggest things that I found to improve my jump has been increasing my flexibility, especially the hamstrings.

Each training session should include excises that incorporate Strength, flexibility, Explosiveness and plyometrics.

I started off with a program like this:

Day 1:
Line hops
Cone jumps
Lunges

Day 2:
Box Jumps
Jump Squats
Squats

Day3:
Deadlifts
Stiff legged dead lifts
Rebonds (with weighted ball)

Last edited:
Okay, well increased to 30kg

Very difficult to get good balance on my squat with the larger weights, but I did it yesterday.

Doing deadlifts today.

Latest routine;

2x20 Alligator Pushups
3x13 Pullups
3x10 Deadlift
2x20 Alligator Pushups

3x13 Chinups
3x10 Barbell Squats
100x Situps

Still in the process of heavily modifying my 2 routines.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

Thank you,

Barry_

BTW: I only started doing a routine again yesterday, after a 1 week break to recover from muscle strain [Doctor's orders]

Here are my final two suggestions, remove alligator pushups and do pushups with a backpack with weights in it and get rid of your 100 situps, if you want a specific ab exercises start with planks, move on to 1 legged planks, move onto 1 leg 1 arm planks, move on to straight leg lowering with weights between your feet, move on to barbell rollouts and to ab wheels. If you really want to work your abs properly go do heavy squats and deads.

If your trying to improve your vertical jumping ability then your going about it the wrong way. To jump higher you have to practice to jump and I can't see you doing any kind of jumping exercises.

dave: Interesting...

Can you specify which sets I should be starting at? [Interested in Backpack Pushups & 1 leg 1 arm planks]

seanlivo: I've started playing bball [almost] everyday... what kind of jumping exercise in particular?

Consistent effort over time gets results.

Constantly revising routines is not consistent, and does not allow you to put in the most effort each time.

At one of my gyms, a 68 year old woman squats 40kg. Short of parallel, but she has a hip replacement, she would actually dislocate her femoral head if she went to or below parallel.

She doesn't do plyometrics. And nor should you. Get strong first.

Consistent effort over time gets results.