• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Text books

The plan is to blast 5/3/1 during the down times (so I'll get roughly 6 cycles a year) and just try to maintain throughout the semester.

I do not see those numbers you are after if you do it that way, 2 semesters per year is 24 weeks that is 2 weeks shy of half a year spent "maintaining". I think you would be better suited to working out a plan that you can recover from and do and still gain solid numbers during the semester.

Oliver, your allowed to say "I was wrong"

I was replying to your comment that Wendler does more sets above 85% compared to PPP, your now rambling on about something else.

Failure lol we fail most weeks, because we do more sets at over 85% and more reps.

Oliver, it is highly unlikely you will get those figures ever, but its the journey thats fun, not the destination, enjoy it.

No need to bet anyone, just do it big fella, your sig numbers havent moved in how long?

Markos - your program has more volume. If you train to failure then your program would have more intensity.

What point are you trying to make?

The last time my lifts moved upwards was before my last lot of exams (april may). No exams at the moment and none to come for another month. I'm cycling YOUR program until the period finishes and am shooting for 200/120/230.

I dont see anything wrong with those numbers. I hit a 400 squat for reps in a little over a years training, anythings possible.

They are possible, but in 30 years in gyms, I've never seen anyone make all those lifts raw and lifetime drug free. Your early gains will always be quickest.

272/182/272 is a 726kg total raw.

What weight are you planning to be?

Will they be gym lifts or legitimate lifts in competition?

All on the same day or scattered through a lifetime? By that I mean, my brother has squatted 215kg a year ago, benched 165kg 3 years ago and deadlifted 300kg 18 years ago.

Big Nathan on here is monster, he may go close I think, not sure if he's done 270kg with only a belt in the squat, but he's covered the deadlift.

Last edited:
100-110.

Is this really that extreme?

You have 2-3 lifters pulling 275, around the same amount on a 180kg bench press. Your top squatter is 220 but thats not a powerlifting squat.

You said drug free. Best bench drug free is 170kg, not paused. He has another 90kg to find on the squat and 12 on the dead. He is competing at the Nats, so we'll see what he does in competition shortly. Big Matt is his name, he's a member on here.

The guy that pulls 275kg only benches 145kg paused. Staying injury free long enough is an issue. When you get stronger, you'll see what I mean.

Its definitely doable, but I reckon you'll need to weigh closer to 120kg at your height.

Have you actually read Jim's 531 Ebook? I have and there's no failure recommended. And the 95% is of a reduced max so it's not a real 95%.
It's a good program, and I've used it in the past with success, and will use again after nationals during off season.

The $20 USD for the ebook is money well spent.

Yes. He says its not failure, but to 'push yourself' and set a new PR on the last lift of every session. Make of that what you will, I usually shoot for 2-3 reps over the target max.

The 95% begins as a reduced max but it cycles up to a max you stall on (so 100%) before the cycle is set again.

You said drug free. Best bench drug free is 170kg, not paused. He has another 90kg to find on the squat and 12 on the dead. He is competing at the Nats, so we'll see what he does in competition shortly. Big Matt is his name, he's a member on here.

The guy that pulls 275kg only benches 145kg paused. Staying injury free long enough is an issue. When you get stronger, you'll see what I mean.

Its definitely doable, but I reckon you'll need to weigh closer to 120kg at your height.

ergh, good point I should probably rethink my goals. 120kg bodyweight is not somewhere i wanna be...

Another thing young Oliver, goal setting is excellent, but you need to do some things first.

Enter a comp and get a legitimate total. There is a comp in Sydney shortly.

Then set small goals and nibble away. I know Max's next goal is a 500kg total, then it will be 550kg at next years Nats. His best is 490kg currently, hopefully he cracks 500kg at the Nats or Worlds.

Until you start with a total, you cant set a goal. Max started with 467.5kg in May.

By June it was 490kg. 500kg in August. 525kg in May 2011. 550kg in August 2011.

I feel this is the best way.

sydney comp is running now? when?

I'll take that $10 bet. It's taken me 3 years to go from a 100kg bench to 140kg. Based on the stats in your sig it looks like your not a natural lifter either.

Realistic goals are a must, you're not even at 400/300/500 yet and your goals are 600/400/600 ????
Rep maxes are nice to have in addition to real maxes, but they don't always translate to a real max. I've seen plenty of guys do bench maxes with a bounce of the chest that couldn't do a single with the same weight with a pause.

I've got the 400 squat and the 500 deadlift is pretty much in the bag too (I let the bar rest for a second between deadlifts so it wont touch and go). The bench is the only thing I'm concerned about, its always been touch and go with that lift.

Last edited:
Pauls time frame is very similar to Nicks. Nick took 2 1/2 years to go from 100kg to 150kg, not paused. Nick has paused 145kg in competition, his starting 100kg was touch and go.

Another thing young Oliver, goal setting is excellent, but you need to do some things first.

Enter a comp and get a legitimate total. There is a comp in Sydney shortly.

Then set small goals and nibble away. I know Max's next goal is a 500kg total, then it will be 550kg at next years Nats. His best is 490kg currently, hopefully he cracks 500kg at the Nats or Worlds.

Until you start with a total, you cant set a goal. Max started with 467.5kg in May.

By June it was 490kg. 500kg in August. 525kg in May 2011. 550kg in August 2011.

I feel this is the best way.

Good goal setting advice, listen to Markos and Macmad.

Yep I'll take it two.

Deadlift is achieveable, squat and bench are dream land considering your current lifts.
Posted via Mobile Device