• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Jolt your triceps into growth.

Fadi

Remember the first time you trained a body part, if it was legs then you more than likely ended up limping to your car; and if it was calves, then your feet shook as you pressed on that break pedal whilst driving home from the gym.

What does it; what causes our muscles to become jelly like and out of control? You’ll find your answer deep in your nervous system. Without the firing of our nerves, not only our brain messages would not get through to our muscles, but no contraction would ever take place. Remember the calves and the break pedals? Well, too much activation of the nervous system took place there and more importantly, it took place in a way that the nerves have not been accustomed to…yet!

Watch a new trainee attempt a “simple” barbell bench press. What do you observe taking place there? Personally, all I see is a wobble followed by more of the same.

Why?

Two reasons:

• The nervous system is new to the task at hand
  • The stabilising muscles likewise, are also new to the task
Watch that same bodybuilder day after day and soon enough you’ll be seeing a rock solid movement of the barbell bench press coming from him. There has been a connection, a neuromuscular connection that is between the muscles and the attached nerves. The two parties have met and now they are buddies, working in synch and harmony with one another.

Now let us come to our topic at hand and see if we can shock our triceps muscle into some new growth. The formula for growth is really simple; cause a stimulus that would force an adaptation to take place, then seat back and watch the magic take place. Not withstanding the recovery package has been put into place, i.e. eating, sleeping, resting, and most importantly, having peace of mind.

To ask you do a triceps exercise that you’ve been doing all the time would simply defeat the purpose of this small article of mine. What I would need from you here is to perform something unusual, something that would make your triceps go: “WTF JACK”!!!

Enter medicine-ball push-ups. Scratching your head? No need to unless you’ve been doing it all along.

This exercise is not only dynamic in nature, but it’s also functional. In simple English it means that when you work your triceps in everyday living, you work them whilst at the same time working your core muscles. To make it even clearer, let’s say you want to pick something heavy off the floor, what you do is simply squat down then use your biggest muscles of all (the glutes and legs) to help you lift it up. Now your abs and lower back (stabilising muscles here), although they didn’t do any lifting, they made sure that your legs and butt had a solid/rigid base which ultimately enabled you to use your working muscles ( legs and glutes) to lift that object. Now compare that to (say) a leg press, where your abs and back are happy to just “seat” there whilst your working muscles are pressing the weights up.

Similarly, performing triceps on a medicine-ball (an unstable and moving object) requires tremendous involvement from your stabiliser muscles just so you don’t collapse over that ball. And since your triceps have never worked under such “loose sand” type of an environment, they would really have to adapt. Which takes me back to the formula I presented for you above, where stimulation (the actual exercise) is done in such a way as to force an adaptation to take place. Adaptation is the scientific way of saying getting huge as far as we bodybuilders are concerned for now. So give it a try and don’t be afraid to make the medicine ball your friend, one of your tools in your quest to some big ass muscles!

PS: Now I do realise that some of you are mighty strong and can handle some serious weights whilst doing triceps. However what I would suggest to you here is that you perform 3x25 and when you can comfortably do these, then (and only then) add some resistance. This resistance can come in two ways:

• Have someone add a 20kg (or whatever you wish) on your back
  • Get yourself a back pack (another bodybuilder’s tool) and place in it the desired amount of weight discs.
40-2.jpg

40-3.jpg

Fadi.

Last edited:
I use these in my training. When I do them at the gym people give me strange looks.

That is great to hear Tim, I'm impressed. As for the strange looks, they'll never seize for as long as ignorance is alive and well.

Fadi.

I use these in my training. When I do them at the gym people give me strange looks.

If you go to a normal gym i dont know why...

Fit ball crunches and squats on those half round things im sure are much more acceptable.. LOL

:eek::D

Fadi,

Looks good, thanks! I've been getting bored of just adding weight to my skull crushers and am now on the heaviest bar in my gym anyway. I'll give these a go. I have tried them on the big gym balls before and remember even that being really hard.

Cheers,
Mike

Good post Fadi, will definitely have a crack at these, (start the search for suitable medicine ball substitute around the home)

Hey Fadi, how are you?

You're going to give some people very sore muscles, 3 x 25, ouch! I've done them before, with a basketball on a slight hill, lots of fun :)

Mike.

I get stressed out that if I do isolation work like this I might build muscles that don't contribute to my lifts.

I get stressed out that if I do isolation work like this I might build muscles that don't contribute to my lifts.

what muscles are you worried about growing that would retard your lifts ?

He is just trying to stir shit up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oliver, are you going for another troll now? Based on what I wrote and based on what you wrote I think you are. If I'm wrong, then please come forward with a proper question otherwise just leave it.

Remember this?

Fadi,

I'm a very hardcore catholic but this guys full of crap. Its sacrilegious that he invokes Gods name to back up his absurd claims.

And now you've successfully killed my troll :(

Some motivation for strength enthusiasts

Forum etiquette

Fadi.

Last edited:
Not at all.

Fully respect bodybuilding exercises and the point of this thread, but no troll.

I get concerned if I do things like add too much quad, shoulder, upper back or arm mass (muscles that arnt that important in the squat, bench and deadlift) it could add needless weight and result in a shit wilks score.

btw fadi I dont appreciate call outs. If you cant sense sarcasm in text then thats your own issue.

Last edited:
btw fadi I dont appreciate call outs. If you cant sense sarcasm in text then thats your own issue.

I'm not here to sense your sarcasm Oliver, if you've got something to say then say it and don't play the macho game with me young man!

On one hand you talk of respect and on the other you speak of sarcasm. Now if you've got an issue with what I've said so far Oliver, then please don't hesitate to let me know okay!

Carry on...

Fadi.

The idea that sarcasm and irony are diametric to respect is crap. They are language devices, neither of which are employed in the above post.

The idea that sarcasm and irony are diametric to respect is crap. They are language devices, neither of which are employed in the above post.

Oliver, I gave you an opportunity to ask a question here:
If I'm wrong, then please come forward with a proper question otherwise just leave it.
You decided not to leave it nor ask a question but to get sarcastic instead according to your own admission. Please and for the last time now, if you haven't got a question nor are seeking some clarification of why working one's triceps (as opposed to biceps) is not detrimental to power and strength, then again I'm asking you for the last time to leave it please.

Thank you Oliver.

PS: When I posted this thread I did so in the BodyBuilding Training Discussions section as opposed to the Strength Training / Power Lifting section for a reason Oliver.

Fadi.

Last edited:
I suggest we have two more sections.

To add to the plethora:

Isolation forum.

And

Crèche.

Or, wrap it all up under one umbrella... As physical culture.

Want a senseless argument with a bunch of teenagers? Visit t-nation.

I'm losing interest fast here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Put ya headbands back on and harden up boys ;)
Thanks Hello. I've heard this advice/suggestion given on this forum so many times now and I still don't agree with it. This has nothing to do with one being soft/sensitive or hard/insensitive/thick-skinned or whatever else the "hardened up" person may think. Of course that is the way I see it and I'm sure others see it in a totally different light.

Fadi.

Last edited: