• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

improving deadlifts

Trofius,

FWIW wondering around the gym with no real structure to your strength program will get you nowhere fast...Strength training is an entirely different beast to muscle building...bite the bullet find a proven structured program and give it three months MINIMUM! But YOU MUST stick to the program for it to work. If after three months you have gotten know where you may be better suited to darts.

Thanks for the replies...

Marcos, Udls been thinking of adding them in for a few weeks now, just need to get the equiptment. might try them with db, do you recomend them on dead days or on the off days.

Silverback, i will be doing similar to 5x5, I want some volume so will be doing 5x8, first month, 5x5 second, and then looking at new PB during the third.. While trying to better my diet and rest...A big factor in my lack of acheivment I feel..

Jonny i dont wonder aimlessly, I do set exercises, and try to add weight or reps to each session.. Besides I am hopeless at darts!

We do UDL's on deadlift day. To give you guys an idea of how we train, here is Max's session tonight....weight 76kg

Deadlifts - 167.5 x1, 177.5 x1, 195 x3, 185 x3, 172.5 x5

Rack pulls from beneath the knees - 120 x 3, 170 x 3, 210 x 3, 230 x 1, 270 x 1

Udl's, 64kg KB on 30cm blocks 3 x 20 reps

He doesnt do deadlifts again till next Friday, but he does have to squat on Monday

Last edited:
Thanks Marcos

Max is what 6 weeks out from a comp, so I guess he is starting to work up to his 1Rm

Also considering his goals at this stage ( bench squats dead) is he targeting other bodyparts? I assume he is just doing dead, bench, and squats days with assistance work for each during that session, like you have the other PPP users doing.

I want to get stronger, we all do, but because i have been too focused on 1rm for a while now I think I have stalled. I am looking at kinda going back to basics, and doing a roughly full body workout every session, with more emphisis on certain lifts. and much bigger sets rather than 1, 3, 5rm for each lift. Just feel I need to reset myself.

I didnt think doing split would be the best for me at this stage??? I will certainly fiddle with my routine and fit in some more dead assistant work, starting with UDLs I think this would help my current problem of getting out of the hole.

I only listed Max's because he is closest bodyweight to you.

Dave, Ben, Spiros, Sean, Dim, James and Ghosty all did the same workout, only with less weight.

We cover reps from 20 down to 1. The assistance work changes weekly.

Usually DB rows, chins, cleans, band deadlifts, deficit deadlifts, curls etc.

We do just about every exercise in the gym, we simply rotate them. A couple of weeks ago Max cleaned 120kg, Gareth Military pressed 80kg @ 77.5kg.

We use the big 3 as our core and do reps on assistance work. We dont neglect a single exercise.

We do pulling on deadlift day. Pretty hard to pull without biceps, same as pressing without triceps

I am going to conduct a little test for you Mick, you better appreciate this.

I deadlifted 212.5kg back in 1988. I later hurt my back f u c k i n g around with seated cable rows. Back then my squat was around 165kg or so. I later squatted 205kg, but I stopped deadlifting. I'm sure I would have deadlifted more seeing I had a 50kg increase in my squat, but the fact remains I didnt.

I didnt start to deadlift again seriously until 2006. In 2003 I developed my infamous fix it or f u c k it back remedy. I did lots of odd lower back exercises, but no real deadlifting.

So back to 2006, I have my box squat up to 180kg off a 29cm box and my deadlift to 210kg. Again I had some niggles, by my deadlift was getting stronger. I pulled a hammy descending with 180kg on a box squat, and this put my dead back, soon after I started PTC and had a break...............which lasted 29 months, an advanced deload I like to call it.

I started lifting again during the day, which I hate, with Big Howie. I have been back training for 3 weeks now. I pulled 150kg on our first deadlift session, but I had an epiphany.

My levers are poor for deadlifts, but I have a strong back, bent rows with 140kg x 6. My short arms help my bench.

I decided to deadlift a different way, to move my arms inside my legs, and spread my legs a touch. Not a full sumo. Like this, just not as wide with the legs

Ed_02.jpg

I really struggled with a 140kg pull today. I felt it in very different places. I feel I have discovered a weakness. I'm going to continue to train the deadlift this way, regardless of how low it keeps my lift, and see if I switch back to conventional if I get any carry over.

I'll probably just post up information in this thread.

lol Yes Marcos it is appreciated,

Any information I can get, so that i can experiment a little with my training, will undoubtedly help me, and probably many other people on here..

Thanks for putting your body on the line!.. :)

This training stuff is shit. I cant believe my clients do UDL's when I tell them. I didnt get the 64kg KB and boxes till AFTER I started my Advanced Deload. They are shit, I mean real shit.

No ****ing excuses accepted markos pill pull pull!!!
I am going to conduct a little test for you Mick, you better appreciate this.

I deadlifted 212.5kg back in 1988. I later hurt my back f u c k i n g around with seated cable rows. Back then my squat was around 165kg or so. I later squatted 205kg, but I stopped deadlifting. I'm sure I would have deadlifted more seeing I had a 50kg increase in my squat, but the fact remains I didnt.

I didnt start to deadlift again seriously until 2006. In 2003 I developed my infamous fix it or f u c k it back remedy. I did lots of odd lower back exercises, but no real deadlifting.

So back to 2006, I have my box squat up to 180kg off a 29cm box and my deadlift to 210kg. Again I had some niggles, by my deadlift was getting stronger. I pulled a hammy descending with 180kg on a box squat, and this put my dead back, soon after I started PTC and had a break...............which lasted 29 months, an advanced deload I like to call it.

I started lifting again during the day, which I hate, with Big Howie. I have been back training for 3 weeks now. I pulled 150kg on our first deadlift session, but I had an epiphany.

My levers are poor for deadlifts, but I have a strong back, bent rows with 140kg x 6. My short arms help my bench.

I decided to deadlift a different way, to move my arms inside my legs, and spread my legs a touch. Not a full sumo. Like this, just not as wide with the legs

Ed_02.jpg

I really struggled with a 140kg pull today. I felt it in very different places. I feel I have discovered a weakness. I'm going to continue to train the deadlift this way, regardless of how low it keeps my lift, and see if I switch back to conventional if I get any carry over.

I'll probably just post up information in this thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

I switched to half sumo because of my short arms.

With half sumo or full sumo, you'll feel it in the groin & hips, because those are involved in getting the weight off the ground, unlike conventional, where back is involved first.

I switched to half sumo because of my short arms.

With half sumo or full sumo, you'll feel it in the groin & hips, because those are involved in getting the weight off the ground, unlike conventional, where back is involved first.

depends on what you mean by the back being involved first.

Starting strength in conventional deadlift, when done properly, depends primarily on hamstring and quad strength. In the first part of the pull the glutes and low back are involved, but they only act isometrically to stabilise the hip and back angle. They obviously still need to be strong, but the hamstrings are the prime mover extending the hip, while the quad simultaneously acts to extend the knee.

While a lot of people do initiate the pull with the back, like a SLDL, this is not the ideal way to do heavy conventional deadlifts and are much more likely get you injured.

Whether you are deadlifting conventional, half sumo or sumo, ideally it is still a hip extension movement, and in all three cases the back does the same job in the chain. In all cases the back should be involved. It's just that the back has to work less hard isometrically as the back angle becomes more vertical.

Last edited:
I've taken up the stance that markos has pictured. Ive had it for the last 2ish months and i feel like it hits my groin area lot more.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've taken up the stance that markos has pictured. Ive had it for the last 2ish months and i feel like it hits my groin area lot more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Makes perfect sense. Adductors act to keep the knees out while the hip extends. The wider the stance, the harder the adductors have to work.

same for squat.

Makes perfect sense. Adductors act to keep the knees out while the hip extends. The wider the stance, the harder the adductors have to work.

same for squat.

And since part of the adductor magnus also extends the hip, being in a stretched position whilst performing hip extension will also feel like it is being hit more.