• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

improving deadlifts

I got stuck around 180kg pissed me of for weeks,

I stopped trying, and instead worked on getting some "explosiveness" back into my movement, dropped the weight upped the repps.

It worked , lifted 187.5kg 4 weeks later, it was almost as if my mind/body had got used to struggling the weight up , and it had to learn to perform the deadlift motion abit quicker again.

I know crap terminology, maybe someone on here can elaberate alittle.

I'd love to offer some advice as the deadlift is/was (unsure at the moment) my favourite lift - however I just trained it as heavy as I could MOST weeks (week off here or there when felt I needed it) and pulled 180 and 185 (187.5 technically with the 22.5kg barbells) a bunch of times. Hasn't gone up much since then, though I haven't really trained it much until recently so...

+1 for more info on your current regime mate, there is a world of option to bust out...wave periodization, taking a break from d/l'in and working on accessory lifts-rack pulls/front squats to even incorporating me and de days into the routine. hell ive actually switch back to a 5x5 rep range for d/l's just to change it up!

Wooooh,

Thanks heaps for all the replies, I will try to cover replies to all the suggestions.

Ok I think yes, I still need heaps of work on my squat, max is at 125 x 1 thus far, when i get tired or heavy I soppose I am doing a bit of a squat morning..

I am not sure if it is juts my gluts and lower back that is weak, I think my quads are also piss weak., mayb be I just need allround more work / strength.

Asmentioned i have started doing front squats before every back squats session, and I am slowly getting more reps at the heavier weights. = progress

I guess looking back over what I have been doing I should probably ditch the heavy 80+% stuff and focus on more volume below that figure. and ramp back up again after 2-3 months.?????

I want to do good mornings and sldl, but everytime i have tried, even with an empty bar I strained my lower back, and it spasamed for ages, last time I didnt lift for nearly 2 weeks, really hate not going to gym. I can however do hyperextensions ok, I might consider also adding some pully rows, but sessions already take 1.5hours

As for my program, you can check my journal, but basically on deads day I do:
Military press,
then a 40kg set of power cleans as a warmup,( more sets if i feel like a clean day, which means less intense dead session.)
Deads, sets (currently) of 80 x 10, 100 x 8, 120 x 6, 140 x 3, 150 x 1, 140 x 2-3..
I have (last session) added to the end, deficit deads, 80kg x 10, 2 sets ~12cm high, my quads, and ass really felt these, its kinda like an ass to ankles pause squat.
also try to do some wg pull ups, and weighted dips

on my opposite day,I do bench, front squats, and back squats,
back work is, bb rows, wg pullups, upright rows.

I will look at increaseing my reps

I will remove my shoes when I dead, or I will find a pair of vollies etc

I will also start focusing more on lower weigh explosive stuff..

Is it realistic for me to expect a faster rate of gain with deads, I am really enjoying them but frustrated all the same,

looking back I PBed at
6.3.09- 90 x 8
29.3.09- 100 x 6
time away. ~ 2months
26.08.09- 100 x 5
18.09.09 - 120 x 3
17.11.09- 130 x 1
10.12.09- 140 x 1 ,120 x 5
11.02.10- 100 x 10
19.03.10- first time to pull 140 this year was failing every attempt
23.04.10 first 150 fail
30.04.10 - 145 x 1
16.05.10- 140 x 3, 150 x fail
22.05.10- 150 x 1
28.05.10- 155 x 1
have tried 160 a few times since, no luck yet.
178, will be 2.5 BW keen to get there...

Will give myself a few months and see if it helps.

80 x 10, 100 x 8, 120 x 6, 140 x 3, 150 x 1, 140 x 2-3..

Mick, thats a terrible DL program. You have done well to pull that weight on that "program"

Front squats before back squats makes no sense. FR sq's after BK sq's are a great assistance exercise though.

You need a decent program to work your squat and dead. I would get PPP simply because it is idiot proof.

Marcos its not really a structured program I simply warm up, add weight do as many as i can up to 10, add weigh and go again, and do a drop set at the end for reps after i get a 1rm for the day. Looking back I seem to have been to focused on a heavy 1rm and not so much on some decent volume.

I have gone up 25kg in 6 months, and ~40kg in 9 months

Nick I wil take into consdieration your advice, i was doing F squats first because they are weeker and wanted to target my quads, and get my f squat up to 80-90% my back squat.

I really want to try and work this out for myself, If I havent achevied my aims in 3 months I will join the PPP club..And will look out for cheap flights to melbourne..

Trofius, no need to fly to Melbourne. Just go to Rockhampton Fitness Centre where you have three of the best deadlifters in Australia at your disposal.

The trip to Melbourne was if i went with PPP.

I have met pete before I used to train at the uni gym were he works, I am aware Rocky has a huge PA group here, with lots of big lifters in the dungeon at Norms. Not the gym I goto however. $$$ I have a chat with a powerlifter Pete used to train with / trained, that goes to my gym when we are there at the same time. It was his idea for the deficits. he also says i pop my ass up to quick..

The problem is your program has no structure. Simply trying to pull a PB each session is not training, its competing.

Your progress is irrelevant, its the 155kg thats not in pace with your bench. Your deadlift progress is simply because your a novice at the lift.

Young Luke weighs 80kg, he benches 120kg. When he started here around 5 months ago, he'd never deadlifted or squatted before. He deadlifted 200kg on Tuesday following PPP. His brother had never lifted before, weighs 110kg, pulled 220kg last Saturday.

These guys are regular guys, neither bench as much as you, but a structured program made all the difference.

The problem is your program has no structure. Simply trying to pull a PB each session is not training, its competing.

Your progress is irrelevant, its the 155kg thats not in pace with your bench. Your deadlift progress is simply because your a novice at the lift.

Young Luke weighs 80kg, he benches 120kg. When he started here around 5 months ago, he'd never deadlifted or squatted before. He deadlifted 200kg on Tuesday following PPP. His brother had never lifted before, weighs 110kg, pulled 220kg last Saturday.

These guys are regular guys, neither bench as much as you, but a structured program made all the difference.

I beleive i acknowledged my lack of structure. and that I was training wrong.

Stating what I have acheived so far was indicating what I have done, not to boast, or anything, if i thought it was good I would not have started this thread!

You cant compare my bench and deadlift, its irrelevant, I have done a lot more bench training to deads and squats, I have also added much more to my deads and squat than my bench in the last 12 months..newby gains yes.

Luke benches 120, thats in my ball park.

What did luke and his bro first pull when they started at PTC I bet it was close to or more than I can PB now.? I have had a cronic back problem it flares up I cant lift. I not a young boy anymore, I dont recover like I used to. 18 months ago I struggled to move 100kg from the ground.

I am not doubting your PPP Marcos, people are getting results. I just like to work things out rather than be handed a solution.

I have asked for advice, ideas, and assistance work that will help, from a public forum..

What did luke and his bro first pull when they started at PTC I bet it was close to or more than I can PB now.? I have had a cronic back problem it flares up I cant lift. I not a young boy anymore, I dont recover like I used to. 18 months ago I struggled to move 100kg from the ground.

Glad you brought it up lol

Luke pulled around 120kg, very skinny legs. Here's the funny bit. Ryan is Lukes brother, he's a builder. He has had a crook back forever, he is older than Luke.

Luke told him he was training with a guy that could fix his back. Ryan started a month after Luke. He has been to bucketloads of Doctors, its been a serious problem.

I had him pull around 80kg on his first session, he was very tentative. Now that he pulls 220kg with unbelievable ease, he feels like Superman.

He has just started the 240kg program.

He has done so many UDL's that I reckon he counts them in his sleep lol

I have a video of his first 200kg pull, around 8 weeks ago, I'll provide a link when its up.

Im going to try the less is more approach over the next couple of weeks and only dead once every 7 days and see if that get me back on track with the dead.

Once a week got me from 160kg to 220kg. Hasn't failed me yet, so I'll keep one trucking.
I ran the first program I listed, and PPP.
Posted via Mobile Device

Once a week got me from 160kg to 220kg. Hasn't failed me yet, so I'll keep one trucking.
I ran the first program I listed, and PPP.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's the way to do it.

Mick, you should consider a 5x5 template.
Also consider 20 reps in the leg press prior to dead-lifting as in leg-press then straight to dead-lift then straight away shurg that weight after the 5x5.
Posted via Mobile Device