• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Are You Kidding Me? Maxing Out on Squats and Good Mornings Every Day?

Heres something we are doing for the next few weeks.

Max has been crook for a few weeks, he has trained but his training is up and down, he has lost his appetite, his weight is down to 72kg, he was hoping to lift in the 82.5kg class, he had got to 78kg.

He is stopping PPP and adding LOTS of volume to his workouts, starting tomorrow.

I'll post up and let you guys know how he progresses. To give you an idea of how much its affected his lifting, tonight he missed a 157.5kg squat, his PB is 175kg.

He also missed his benches last Wednesday, though he got through deadlifts.

A newer interview with him. A really good watch...

[youtube]qMQ1k88kXpg[/youtube]

[youtube]cmqmx68r8o8[/youtube]

[youtube]nU_ybeBZVQI[/youtube]

[youtube]Z_O_QacPOeU[/youtube]

Sounds like some crazy ass shit to me!

Even if it does work, so do a billion other things, why on earth would you want to max out everyday if you didn't have to? Sounds like unnecessary wear and tear on the body, and injuries waiting to happen.

Just store it in the memory bank Simon, if you ever need something for a couple of weeks to kick start your progress if it ever stalls, give it a shot.

After searching around the last few weeks, I've seen a lot of similar instances of this style of training. IPF powerlifters, namely the Russian national team, train with a ton of volume and moderate intensities (the Boris Sheiko programs floating around). Brian Siders, the only American with an IPF record, trains 6 days a week with insane volume.
[....]
The authors apparently consider skill practice to be important even to the powerlifts - and that's also not unlike what Pavel Tsatsouline has been going on about: to consider strength as a skill to be practiced, instead of something to be "worked out".
[....]
I'd also like to think that this kind of method, where you just suck it up and keep coming back for more punishment, is a useful adaptation in its own right. It fits in with Starr's comments about widening the base of the pyramid. It fits with examples like Bob Peoples (a farmer who was doubtless in excellent condition and able to tolerate and thrive on large amounts of work). It even fits with what I've always heard about the older Russian/Soviet methods, which emphasized having their athletes "in shape" in a general sense.
I don't know much about weightlifting, but a little about powerlifting- and since you have brought Sheiko and Siders into the picture I'll offer what little I know. Russian approaches to powerlifting are not at all about bashing yourself against a brick wall each week.

On my understanding, the general belief with the Russian coaches, Sheiko included, is that initially the greatest gains from training will come from reinforcing motor patterns and developing skill. Skill comes from repetition- in particular- the repetition of specific movements. The more specific the sport's movements the more specific the training needs to be. They recognise that different loading will produce different training effects- in neural-muscular terms- as will different rep and set schemes. They did massive amounts of research looking into optimal strength development and established that, in simplified terms, for the first few years of ones training life volume was the key. They recognise that different loads have different roles- for eg, 50% and 70% have different training effects- but also that a well rounded athlete needs to develop conditioning, muscularity, power etc- so they come up with a template that addresses all of these needs through a program.

Most Sheiko programs for beginners and novices work with the idea that building volume will build strength- not consistent high intensity work- and volume and intensity are always cycled in 4 week blocks. So while Sheiko programs may look like they involve an inhuman amount of lifting- the volume and intensity wave up and down to provide an optimal balance of adaptation and challenge. The intensity with lower rated templates is hardly ever high- in fact for most you only go over 85% on 2 occasions in a 13 week block- on week 9 and comp day.

There is certainly the view that the CNS, and the body in general, will adapt- but that in order for it to adapt you need to give it a chance to adapt. 'Overtraining' is hard to define. If you mean pushing yourself to a point where accumulated fatigue means your performance (in terms of power output or strength) drops- then the Sheiko approach is definitely all for overtraining- but then thats not 'over'-training is it- they see the development of stress in this form as being essential to the development of optimal strength.

One thing I learnt was that feeling strong in the gym was no accurate indication of how well I was building strength. Sheiko will beat you down then give you time to adapt. This is why I think a lot of people don't have the nuts for Sheiko- you spend about 50% of the training cycle feeling weaker and beat down.

Siders has said his routine is essentially a CMS Sheiko routine where he has introduced greater variation (so different types of squat, bench etc), which is in keeping with the approach of Sheiko- where move advanced lifters require less specificity as their skill level is higher.

Last edited:
Great post.

Could the fact that only Brian has an IPF record have anything to do with drug testing protocols in the Eastern Block countries?

Which country produces the most WR setters?

I actually dont know, I could look it up, anyone know?

Sorry, that information posted on here was wrong, PLENTY of USA WR holders in the IPF

Ed Coan
Mike Bridges
Lamar Gant
Brian Siders
Kirk Karwoski
Shane Hamman
Walter Thomas
John Kuc

Thats just in Senior Men

Russian produces the most successful lifters. Drugs is another story though- I think the research and science they have put into understanding how to produce optimal strength is a big part of their success. Its testimony to this that top US lifters like Wade Hooper, Brian Siders, Mike Tuchscherer etc have been so heavily influenced by their templates.

Spritcha's hit some good points. Sheiko isnt the only productive program out there, but when you look at other successful methods (periodisation, conjugate, dual factor) all moderate volume and intensity. If both volume and intensity are used (eg the start of dual factor) its done in a way that overtraining is controlled (eg the start of a dual factor cycle).

For those not in vogue with these terms lets check out a few:
- 3x3 - dual factor - lifter starts with high volume to induce overtraining (squatting, benching and deadlifting everyday, 5x5 @ 55-65% of 1RM) and then moves to low volume (using the same percentage for 3x3, but maxing out one lift a session).
- Westside - conjugate - intensity is high (1RM performed every session) but volume is low (no more than 1x1 and 2-3 accessory exercises).
- Sheiko - training volume is high (squatting 1-2 times a day, benching every session) but volume is shit low (50-70% of 1RM).

These are all productive methods used by 97% of powerlifters, long term too, and none involve broist attitudes that overtraining doesnt exist.

That was a really good post Spritcha, good explanation of Sheiko's methods in an easy to understand method.
Posted via Mobile Device

new Pat Mendes clip 363kg atg squat

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7m6I5m6gY&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Potential for injury is increased.

Ahh i see, man i'm getting worried.

Do you mind checking my video to see if my 'bounce' is that excessive and if it was increase potential for injury?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28sWcKQEO4Y]YouTube - 170kg squat[/ame]

Cheers in advance.

I don't think you are bouncing at all.
Bad luck on the 175, you'll nail it next time if not already done so.