• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Reg Park’s Beginner’s Routine

Martigan

Reg Park’s Beginner’s routine below was the exact one used by Arnold in his late teens to get huge! Like Park, he trained at this routine 3 times a week and it comprised mainly of heavy compound movements done with the “5×5″ protocol. But unlike the more popular 5×5 we see in Bill Starr’s routine, Park (like Mark Rippetoe today!) advocated that sets 1 and 2 are to be warmups for sets 3,4 and 5. In other words once you hit your max weight for five reps after two warmups, then crank out 3 sets of 5. For example, say your bench press is a max of 225lbs for 5 reps (which is about 90% of 1RM), the first set would be at 60% – 135 lbs, then the next warmup set could be 80% – 185lbs.

Reg Park’s Beginner’s Routine

Workout A:
Back Squats 5×5
Chin-Ups or Pull-Ups 5×5
Dips or Bench Press 5×5
Barbell Curls 2×10
Wrist Work 2×10
Calves 2×15-20

Workout B:
Front Squats 5×5
Rows 5×5
Standing Press 5×5
Deadlifts 3×5 (2 warm-up sets and 1 “stabilizer set”)
Wrist Work 2×10
Calves 2×15-20

Training Schedule:
Week 1: A, B, A
Week 2: B, A, B
Week 3: A, B, A and so forth.

Reg Park was the second man and the first bodybuilder in the world to bench press 500 lbs.! At the 1957 Pro Mr. USA Reg Park bench pressed over 500 lbs. in street clothes!

His best lifts:

Bench Press with 500 lbs.

Dumbbell Bench Press with two 185 lb. dumbbells for five reps.

Behind the Neck Press with 300 Lbs.

Standing Dumbbell Press with two 140 Lb. dumbbells.

One Arm Dumbbell Press with 165 lbs. for two reps.

Incline Dumbbell Press with two 185 lb. dumbbells for five reps.

Lying Triceps Extension with 300 lbs. for three reps.

Strict Barbell Curl with 200 lbs.

Squat with 605 lbs. for two reps.

Front Squat with 405 lbs.

Pretty cool article. Where did you dig that up? I would be interested in reading the story behind it.
Posted via Mobile Device

See how basic the exercises/reps/sets are. They havent changed for 50 years.

Why do we still discuss them. Its not the program, its the effort.

As to the claim he was second to bench 500lbs, thats unconfirmed, it was done on the same day half way around the world by someone weighing 198lbs, the first guy to bench 500lbs weighing under 200lbs.

Doug Hepburn was first, does anyone other than Andy know the name of the other lifter? Dont Google then put up the answer, I'm curious to see if theres any historians

Markos: Marvin Eder.

I only know that cos I'm reading the Stronger Press article by Bill Starr right now, where he's mentioned.

The number one exercise on my list for improving the press is weighted parallel-bar dips. I had been training for two years before I came across dip bars in a weight room and I began dipping right away. I did so because I had read about Marvin Eder, who was perhaps the strongest bodybuilder ever. He never really received much attention because Hoffman linked him with Weider and since Hoffman controlled both Olympic lifting and bodybuilding, he was basically blackballed in Strength and Health. But Peary Rader at IronMan was much more open-minded and ran articles on him.

His lifts were beyond belief. In the early fifties, long before any type of strength-enhancing drug came along, he did a dip with 434 lbs added to his bodyweight of 198 for a total of 632 pounds, and did seven reps with 400 pounds around his waist. The overhead press was his favorite lift and that’s why he dipped so heavy, to improve the press. And it did just that. He overhead pressed 355 at 198 and could bench press 575 pounds. Only Doug Hepburn, a heavyweight lifter, could handle over 500 in 1953.

That's the one dance

At a bodyweight of 190-200 pounds he performed:

- Olympic press - 335 lbs.
- Press behind neck - 305 lbs.
- Side press, left hand - 220 lbs.
- Press up on parallel bars with 434 lbs + 198 lbs body weight
- Bench press - 515 lbs. (the 3. american to BP 500)
- Still arm pullovers - 250 lbs.
- 80 "wide arm" chins - 8 reps with 200 lbs.
- Strict curled 210 lbs
- Deadlift, without practice 665 lbs
- Crucifix with 2 X 100 lbs dumbbells
- Lateral raises 120 lbs dumbbells for reps
- 8 sets of 10 reps with 220 lbs + body weight dips

Bodyweight 203 - Height 5 ft 8 ins - Waist 34
Chest close to 50 expanded - Neck 19 ins, Biceps over
19 ins. , Forearms 15 ins, Thighs 26, Calves 17 ins.

Phuck those bloke were strong.
What a golden era.
Posted via Mobile Device

Your not wrong, I love reading about the old school strong men because it just seem more real without all the modern day BS, When the OL and SM were also the one's winning the big BB contest's.

Big compound movement's.

Good food.

Effort.

End of story.

I read the actual-actual original magazine copy of this. Reg would do two warm ups then 3x5, a full squat set, a half squat set and then a quarter squat set.

He'd also only deadlift x1 a week.

He lifted for decades.

I'm going out on a limb here, he may have altered his program once or twice lol

Wrong markos.

He did it exactly as I said, the partial squats being the secret to his success.

(troll)