• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Mid Teen Program/s?

Tall_Tim

Hi guys

My brother is 15, will 16 in a few months and has decided he want to start going to the gym. Only problem is he wants to go with his mate who is lacking in the maturity department and he wont train properly while with him, only find ways to get into trouble. The fact that his diet is sh*t does not help, but is already being changed (mum has already stopped buying junk and keeps treats well out of sight to encourage him to eat properly)
I asked the owner of the gym I go to the minimum age requirements etc and was told he'd be able to come while still 15 on the conditions that:

A) He is supervised (no problem with that)
B) He does not use free weights
c) He can only use a program written by a certified PT

Has anyone here ever heard of this?

If these are the industry/legal requirements of a gym it may just be better to make him wait till he turns 16 (will still need supervision but can use the free weights) before I take him along, but here is the part where Im asking for advice.
Hes not only skinny to the point where he looks ill (I can see his ribs through where his pecs are supposed to be) but he's also very short for his age and due to his small stature he hasnt been involved with team sports and training for well over a year because he cant compete with kids his own age and while he never admits it, I can see its causing problems with his confidence and its pushing him in front of the PS3 for the most part of his spare time. The small amount of development his body had from football and jiu-jitsu has well and truly atrophied and while 3 months from 16 has the body of a small 14 year old. Im not by any means buff, but I was never at the point where I was too weak to participate competitively in contact sports.

Has anyone here ever had to train someone (or was trained themselves) from that age? I wouldnt know if an ordinary beginners program would be of use or if a specialized program would be of better use for him taking into account his size and adolescent development. If so are there any recommendations?

I remember speaking to a kid from my Gym who was 17, I asked him why he was doing such light weights, he was told by management he wasn't allowed to use heavy weights while he was underage. Totally stupid to me.

You should just get your brother doing a full body workout using machines.
Posted via Mobile Device

A 16 year old is just like an 18 year old they will injure themselves only because they do stupid things. Get him on a beginners program like SS and make sure he does it properly and you won't have a problem. You have more chance of damaging growth plates playing sport than lifting weights. Also train him with bodyweight exercises at home until he passes the stupid gym rule in however months it takes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Find another gym :p Lol.

Most gyms ive been to don't have a weight restriction for people under 16, just a requirement that they are under supervision during their workouts.

My younger son Jesse is 16. He is trained by my eldest son Max, who is 18.

Jesse has been lifting for 3-4 months.

He only uses free weights, is 173cm and 59kg. He is extremely muscular, much leaner than Max.

He can now squat 100kg x 5, powerclean 75kg and deadlifts 140kg I think, I dont get too involved.

I dont know how far Penrith is from Shire Speed and Strength, but thats where I'd be taking him.

Max has shown that if you can get a young kid training correctly from day one, he will surpass all expectations. Max was 51kg when he started.

Like others said, find a proper gym.

I have a few young lifters, 18 and under

Max
Daryl
Jesse
Mick
Nathan
Kasper
Josh
Rory
Joel
Blake
Tom
Cam
Jordy
Ashlee

They only use free weights

Ive heard of Shire Speed and Strength Markos. Unfortunately its over an hours drive away to get there. Hard to fit in with a busy work schedule and other commitments to train regularly.
I'll go with Daves advice and wait till he's 16 and take him with me. He needs it being 165cm tall and 46kg. His height will come eventually but his weight is quite low and will keep lagging behind at the rate he's going. Tried to put him through some bodyweight exercises when I was at my parents place on the weekend but hes not got the least bit of interest in them. He's only interested in weights. Would SS or the PTC beginners program be suitable for him in your opinion?

Food is a great start.

Get him a barbell and some weights. Three times a week, have him do clean and press, 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps. Nothing else.

If he gets bitten by the iron bug in 3-6 months, we'll look at it again.

I was 15 and 4 months when I started weightlifting under the guidance of a coach. By the time I was 16 I was lifting at the AIS. So to answer your question, there is no harm in lifting free weights when one is 15 but I personally would not allow anyone into the gym who shows an ounce of immaturity. Follow the rules and the guidelines set by people who have travelled the road before you and all would be sweet as; mark around and you're out the door.

You have the right to say I'm just being too strict, too regimental, perhaps too serious about the whole demeanour aspect, but that's me.

Fadi.

I dont blame him one iota for not being interested in bodyweight crap - it reminds me of all those parents who go out and get their kids an acoustic guitar when they want to learn electric - its a completely different animal.

SS or PTC's beginner program, along with a lot of milk would work just fine. I'd probably lean more towards SS because Rippetoe covers every minor caution in great detail. Invest in the book and DVD and make sure he doesnt listen to anyone else for advice on training. The amount of silly bs and brotastic knowledge that permeates Australian gyms is mind-numbing.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be sure to pass the info on. Dave, just as important as lots of food is the quality of food. At home he can be reminded of what to eat, at school he spends his money on crap from the canteen (waste) I dont live at my parents place anymore, I go over there once or twice a week. I can tell him but not watch him.

Markos, Ill give him my old bar and plates, I dont workout at home anymore so he can have em.

Oli I agree with you 100% about BS in gyms. For my fight in Brisbane in August (already have a program that is going well so far) some PT rubbished it and this is what got "recommended":

3 x 15 lateral raises
3 x 15 tricep extensions
3 x 15 dumbell curl
3 x 15 overhead press
3 x 15 T-Bar row
3 x 15 upward row
3 x 15 dumbell press on swiss ball
2 x 20 crunches on swiss ball with 20kg plate

2-3 times per week

"No leg work for my kicks and knees? What about WG Chins for lats?" I asked. "No, this is what you need" was the reply. Needless to say I didnt follow his advice.

dddddaaaammmmmmnnnn can you get me a session with that PT???

Sounds like a typical teenager, good luck they are impossible little shits :D Looked after my wife's 15 year old brother (nearly 19 now), making him eat proper food was so hard I would rather stab myself repeatedly instead.

What is your current workout that the idiot PT rubbished?