• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What the optimal amount of reps

mostwanted

Ii was observing a couple of people in the gym this week and noticed the different set and reps they were doing some do the 3*10 and some were doing 2 set's to failure and set of 50 at a light weight at the end do These different methods have the same effect what is the optimal method i looked at a sight that recommends 5*5 any thought

Variety all the time. I go from heavy singles all the way through to 20 reps.
Posted via Mobile Device

Im currently doing 3@12,10,8 Seems to work all right might try the 5*5 method ive allways herd that lower weight more reps is more for toning up

It depends on your star sign.

:) more than you did before is the optimal number. Or you could do more weight instead and keep the reps the same. Either is good.

I lied, actually it's your Chinese star sign.

to interject... what most here are getting at is -

there really is no optimal amount of reps..

Just vary em every so often to keep your muscles guessing (ie plateauing). :)

Wellll.....

When working below 70% of you're 1RM it's reps between 3 and 6, totalling 24 reps.

When between 70 and 80%, it's still 3 and 6 reps, but only for 18 reps.

When doing 80 to 89% it's 2 and 4 reps totallying 15 reps.

When doing 90% or more it's 1 or 2 reps, for a total of 7 reps.

Yeah!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

I ive allways herd that lower weight more reps is more for toning up

Most wanted the more reps for toning is a myth the your diet is what creates the defined look. I think the myth comes from the fact that your creating a more aerobic workout from higher reps

Here you go mate, I reckon this is what your after...

What the other guys were trying to get at, was that you should never stick to only one rep range.. always change it up, making sure you hit all rep ranges.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 71
As a general rule 8~12 upper body and 15 ~ 20 lower.

Mix it up? Yes.

Optimal? The amount required to garner results.
Posted via Mobile Device

Most wanted the more reps for toning is a myth the your diet is what creates the defined look. I think the myth comes from the fact that your creating a more aerobic workout from higher reps

Now your just speaking the truth.. most of those dohnut eating people out there dont want to hear that :p

Definitely agree with this mate,
also def agree with the other posts on here, there's no optimum amount of reps, its all about mixing it up, the only time that your doing too many reps is when you either plateau too early or end up going backwards... main thing is to try out different methods over time and see which works for you... just don't go trying different types every 2 weeks.... give them at least a couple of months to see how they go :)

LOL i did it again... its Jman_898 here... signed into the missus account again without realising lol..

What the optimal amount of reps
I'd have to say variety is king since your muscles are comprised of a variety of different muscle fibres; each type responding more optimally to a particular rep, based on the requirement of that particular muscle fibre type. Please take a look here Fadi on Bodybuilding for more of an explanation. Thank you.

Fadi.