• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I love this old argument. Plenty of competitors have no place calling themselves bodybuilders and some who never compete adopt the whole lifestyle. There is no solution that fits everyone. I enjoy the fact that lots of people are so uncomfortable with ambiguity that they invent their own definition and then argue to support it against someone else's definition.

A surfer, one that surfs travels in a panel van with the surf board mounted on a roof rack.

A surfy; one that travels in a panel van with the surf board "bolted" to the roof rack.

Agree with [MENTION=10068]bull[/MENTION]; when people ask - why do you train? , what are your goals? , you going to compete? ... Nope. Why the need to give yourself a label?

Agree with [MENTION=10068]bull[/MENTION]; when people ask - why do you train? , what are your goals? , you going to compete? ... Nope. Why the need to give yourself a label?
Yeah. I guess at the end of the day it doesnt matter or mean shit anyway.

I lift. Its fun. I do it for the challenge.

If you hunt then you are a hunter, some hunters may be more successful that others, if you go to the range and shoot guns but don't go out and hunt then you are a shooter. I used to go hunting with a rifle and kill (shoot) animals, some of which we ate, that makes me a hunter at the time, I have not hunted for around 6 years though and somewhat lost interest in hunting, but still enjoy the occasional shoot at a range.

To be a body builder or call yourself a body builder I believe you need to compete in bodybuilding, otherwise you are just a bloke training with weights (like myself), I been lifting weights since I was in year 10 at high school and I am nearly 50 now, never called or considered myself a body builder, as a matter of fact every time someone (friends/family/workmates etc) referred to what I do as body building I will correct them and say I am weight training.

Most people who train football will play in a game at what ever level it might be at some stage, so they may or may not refer to themselves as a foot ball player, but personally unless you been on stage you are not a body builder IMO​.

The problem is that "training" is inherently vague. Back in the day you'd go to the gym or lift weights for a purpose, usually to improve strength for a sport. But now training in itself is a "sport". The problem is that bodybuilding isn't a sport, it's performance art, like ballet.

So where you can say "let's go have a game of footy", it's weird and wrong to say "let's go have a game of bodybuilding".

Like what's been said, there are people who have competed that have no business in bodybuilding. Does that make them bodybuilders? Yes, just really bad ones. Then you have people who live and breath the bodybuilding lifestyle. Are these people bodybuilders, probably more so than the people that stepped on stage in the first example.

So if you train to be a bodybuilder and call yourself one, does that make it so? I think yes. However it's up to others to judge weather you're good at it or not.

Basically what I was saying, if someone goes out hunting and is bad ie they get no animal, are they then just hikers with a gun??

Just because someone is bad at something and they part take in an activity does not mean they can't be identified via that activity, or are only good football players counted as football players??

And you are correct, I initially started training with weights to assist me in other sports, these days I train with weights as exercise to assist me in in daily life and to try and stay ahead of the ageing process a little, and it seems to be working, when I see other people my age around having trouble getting up a flight of stairs or moving some furniture around because they have a bad back or weak knees or what ever.

Basically what I was saying, if someone goes out hunting and is bad ie they get no animal, are they then just hikers with a gun??

Just because someone is bad at something and they part take in an activity does not mean they can't be identified via that activity, or are only good football players counted as football players??

I agree. If you go hunting or fishing and aren't successful, you still engaged in that activity.