• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Buying weight plates, thoughts

trofius

Hey all
Just looking at finally getting some plates, chasing atleast 150kg worth

Do you think spending ~$200 more to get bumpers is worth it?
bumper package two each of 25, 20, 15, 10, 5.
rubber coated i would get six 20, and two each of 10, 5, 2.5

Will it kill my second hand ABC bar that much to use normal rubber coated plates, ( i dont drop the bar) I intend to get some rubber mats either way.

Bumpers in general would be better for the bar no argument. but they tend to be more difficult to move around grip plates are narrower, and easier to move..

Just after opinions, or thoughts..:confused:

Trofius,

I'm a bit bias against bumpers for home use - bumpers only really give an advantage where you're doing olympic lifts, and theres only about 3-4 of them. Its just not very economic.

Rubber plates are more than enough for the slow lifts - i didnt damage my 700lb chinese bar, let alone my ABC one.

Also get the 25's rather than 20s - they allow more weight for their dimensions, at least in most other models.

Last edited:
I am with Oli, you could save (or get more) if you just go with rubber and get 25's they are much better. Are you interested in doing cleans and dropping weights, especially deadlifts?

Last edited:
I second what Oli said on both accounts - get 25's and go the rubber coateds.

What brand plates are you going to get mate?

Yep lets all make the trip to rockhampton and bring back 150kg of plates, ben can pick me up on the way, then we will get you oli :D Oldest gets the plates... I win yay.

will be from gymdirect or aus kettle bells, still deciding. gym direct have a special on pre ordered bumper packages thats all.

I dont drop the bar even doing power cleans I drop back to my legs and then lower it to the floor.

One thing that is in th back of my head is if i get a decent power rack, ( fingers crossed the tax man is kind) I wouldt mind teh commercail jobby, but I dont I could dead lift inside teh cage because of the bottom fixed supports, if I was using rubber coated, or am I wrong Ben???

Not too fussed on getting 25s over 20, in bumper 25s can be up to 2cm wider if i had a full bar i could nearly get another 20 on there anyways, If i get to a 200kg dead I will shout myself a new set!!!!.

LOL on the trip up north, I have been spoilt my gym has ABC bumpers and,... well everything is ABC. lol I wish i had that much coin 380 a pop is killer!.

How old are you DAve....?

Last edited:
Yeah, you're right mate - you can't deadlift inside the commercial one.

I got all my gear through Gym Direct, pretty happy with it all.

If you want to spend a bit more, the plates from ABC don't have an aluminium centre ring; they bore a hole into a solid lump of metal.

Trofius, I havent heard good reviews about the bumpers from aus kettlebells or gymdirect (info i get is so-so). I'd certainly go with rubbers if thats what you're choosing between.

Also assuming you do get bumpers, you have a general purpose/static bar, so if you really wanted a good clean you'd probably have to fork out for an olympic bar anyway (everyone tells you you can clean with any bar and plates, but there seems to be a connection between using the hexagon plates at fitness first and a shit clean).

Try to think about cost in the long term - if down the line you have to buy new bumpers anyway the ABC plates have paid for themselves, and whilst having 20kgs is cool if you have to replace them later on thats problematic (I see nothing unachievable about a 300kg+ deadlift or rack pull).

Yeah, you're right mate - you can't deadlift inside the commercial one.

I got all my gear through Gym Direct, pretty happy with it all.

If you want to spend a bit more, the plates from ABC don't have an aluminium centre ring; they bore a hole into a solid lump of metal.

What plates have the aluminium rings the GD & KB bumpers,??? I know that. obviously not referring to teh grip plates I hope..

The ABC bumpers yes solid metal hub ~10mm in diameter, the rubber/polyurathane? is very stiff aswell, almost a plastic consistancy and not that bouncy at all..

Obviously the ABC bumpers are a league ahead, (better made, calibrated, and thinner) but for nearly 4 times the price I can't afford or justify it for home use..

My gym has the ABC grip plates aswell, nice,.. but they are ~$6.80 per kg
I cant imagine the gym direct stuff to be made much different, solid metal coated with rubber, maybe a quality difference in the rubber , but both would still be pretty much bullet proof.

The GymDirect rubber coateds have aluminium centres, the ABC ones are solid. I don't know about the others.

Price wise, I don't reckon you'll beat Gym Direct.

Here are my thought.

I would buy 1 pair of 20kg bumpers, the rest in whatever you like.

This allows you to do cleans and dump the bar, as you are cleaning 75kg, you only need 1 pair of 20's, and even then you can add as many smaller 10kg plates as you like.

The best of both worlds, you'll love the bumpers, but you dont need anymore than 1 pair, at least for now.

I have the AK bumper package (2x25kg,2x20kg,2x15kg,2x10kg,2x5kg) and I bloody love them.

Also have the AK olympic rubber weights, full set as above.

And just some rubber coated plates for 5kg, 2.5kg and 1.25kg (two sets).

All have been excellent.

But, if you do plan on dropping weights or doing heavy rack pulls etc. then get a good bar.

We started with an Iron Edge bar ($200 worth), and it did bend after 4 weeks use. AK were excellent to deal with and replaced the bar. Instead we opted to upgrade to a Pendlay Nexgen bar, of which we have two of now.

cheers guys

Marcos I was thinking exactally the same thing today, only i was thinking 4 20kg bumpers from aus ketle bells at $90 each, and then get the smaller 10, 5, and 2.5kg plates as grip plates, as i get stronger I will get more 20 /25 kg grip plates.. At gym there is only 4 20kg bumpers and a pair of 10s but they deal fine when there is extra plates loaded on there.. as you said Best of both worlds.

As for my ABC bar, they dont seem to know what it is??? as it has odd specs, defientley an ABC bar however. longer handle, shorter sleeves, 21kg...? thicker?

I have to take some pics and send to them..

Thansk all for the help, raised and cleared up a few points!:)