• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lift Heavy Ass Weights

Define "a little"

Tricky question and would definitely depend on the individual. I'd say that if you sacrificed your form to a degree that doesn't significantly increase the chance of injury, and the result it that your speed coming up out of the bottom of the squat doubled, this is perfectly acceptable. This will make you much stronger in the long run.

Mind you, this is assuming you're under the eye of a coach. Don't get me wrong, I definitely agree that these articles can be dangerous to untrained and uncoached people.

I just wanted to stress that form is just one aspect of lifting - rhythm, speed, attack, they're are all really important aspects of technique as well. You can't focus on form to the point that you sacrifice all the other factors. In my experience, more often than that, this is exactly what happens. Once they are coached on aspects like rhythm, speed etc, their lifts all go up and consequently so does their ability to handle weights safely. I definitely did in my case.

stay calm, it's a discussion.
Posted via Mobile Device

All good. Sorry if my tone came across otherwise :)

To me form encompases rythym, speed, joint position, ROM etc. As you said without all it's a shit lift (summarized version) as you are not lifting to your potential, you can personally alter these to suit you best everyone is different. Ceffo's point was doing quarter squats as you loaded to much an didn't get a good ROM which is valid if you think form encompases all these points.
Posted via Mobile Device

To me form encompases rythym, speed, joint position, ROM etc. As you said without all it's a shit lift (summarized version) as you are not lifting to your potential, you can personally alter these to suit you best everyone is different. Ceffo's point was doing quarter squats as you loaded to much an didn't get a good ROM which is valid if you think form encompases all these points.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think we're in agreement then :)

Before the internet, trainees actually went to gym.
Yes but then they'd have to talk to strangers in person. The internet lets us be shy. And also more thoughtful.

Maybe too thoughtful. The way some people want their routines and diets, it reminds me of some Chinese saying I heard, "he who deliberates too long before taking the first step will be left balancing on one leg."

Before the internet, trainees actually went to gym.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lol this is so true!

The net has alot of great stuff on it but also alot of shit....I have so many ppl coming to me every week with diff programs saying they found this and then that and then this blah blah - I end up telling them stop googling shit and just train!

I think we have missed the vibe of the article.

Go to the gym and try and get stronger, look after the big things, the little things will take care of themselves

I have a brilliant article on how KK rounds his upper back to improve leverages.

Bob Peoples did this best though.

PEOPLESPULLLG.jpg

Like Oli said, never his lower back

Oli we were using KK as an example of how he has different form than most, no one said it was bad.

If you're on the Dias dressed looking like a gnome covered in chalk in front of other knuckle draggers grunting and cheering- I don't see an issue trying to dieselweasel the weight up to make the card.

dieselweasel the weight up and you'll get three red lights.:p Hitching = no lift.

Oli we were using KK as an example of how he has different form than most, no one said it was bad.

This was my interpretation of things:

1. Noob tells us we should lift heavy
2. Ceffo tries to validate that with 'whilst using proper form'
3(a) N00bs comes in with 'KK and his wacky deadlift lol'
(b) Ceffo is 12 and does not understand
(c) You take mother hen role and explain

So by inference, improper form = KK's deadlift.

:D

That is where you are mistaken (unless I am mistaken about noobs comment), I only explained to 12 year old Ceffo (whose hormones are ragging at the moment so it is hard for him to concentrate properly) that KK does things differently (I should have stated upper back) to most others and to have a look at the video to see. Noobs was using him of how different people have different form (or so I believe) and it does not mean it is bad.

My impression of the article is just a "harden up princess" sort of vibe.

Not meant to look to deep into it, just put effort into your workout

My impression of the article is just a "harden up princess" sort of vibe.

Not meant to look to deep into it, just put effort into your workout

I hate that motivational shit. weightlifting = warhammer imo.

Its a hobby, not a lifestyle. It reminds me of my girlfriend's dad's cycling magazines which talk about cycling as 'something you're born with'

Yup, born to dress in colourful lycra like a fairy queen...

I hate that motivational shit. weightlifting = warhammer imo.

Its a hobby, not a lifestyle. It reminds me of my girlfriend's dad's cycling magazines which talk about cycling as 'something you're born with'

Yup, born to dress in colourful lycra like a fairy queen...

You never cease to amaze me.

Found a good article for growing big. the part i liked most i m pasting here.

Lift heavy ass weight. Heavy ass weight makes muscles grow. Heavy ass weight can be in any rep range, because it is heavy ass weight and is kicking your balls seven ways to Sunday.
What rep range should I use? FAIL! It doesn’t matter – Lift heavy ass weights!
What should my rep speed be? FAIL! It doesn’t matter – Lift heavy ass weights!
Should I do cable crossovers before or after flyes, and should incline bench be performed with a 22 degree angle, or a 24 degree angle? FAIL! It doesn’t matter – Lift heavy ass weights!
What split is the most effective for mass? FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!
GO LIFT HEAVY ASS WEIGHTS!
But I don’t want to lift heavy! So and so says that squats are bad for your knees, and my mom is afraid and wants me to take up knitting.
Both so and so, and your mom (no offense to moms) can barely lift a roll of toilet paper to wipe their own asses. If you want to look like your mom, listen to the training advice of your mom. If you want to pack on muscle, lift heavy ass weight!
The end!

source: 4 Ways to Get Freaking Huge Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.

Forgot to leave the ego at the door before entering the gym I see, or way too much steroid confidence HE MAN I’m invincible type of an attitude!

I'm all about lift smart, and if that calls for some heavy lifting at some point in time; great! But to preach lift big and most of all FAIL is to show some immaturity in the field of muscle building.

Yes we all want to push and create an opportunity for our bodies to adapt to the stimulus we're placing it under, but muscle building is only one part of that complete picture. We do have our joints to consider for without healthy joints all the heavy and going to failure will never have you take off the runway. I say calm down, prepare your jet before take off by going through the whole check list and the last time I checked my flight check list, it had more than just two items in it namely; lift heavy and go to failure!

Fadi.

i think your joints will be fine when your squatting 70kg and bench the same. this article is for the guy who has been training for 4-6 months and is worried about all the small things which will be solved by lifting heavy weights. and by heavy i mean 8-9 RPE.

its not directed at those clean & jerking 160 like you fadi, or those squatting 200. you already know heavy weights work.