• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The cost of eating well

You guys need to shop around a bit more for your meat, try heading to superbutcher sometimes.

I go to a small butcher that sells awesome meat at great prices,
free range chicken thighs $12/kg (I eat about 4kg/week)
grassfed hormone dree etc black angus beef mince $12/kg (eat about 2-3kg/week)
I go through a boat load of apples, broccoli, carrots and some other minor stuff.
Milk I get basically for free as I get it straight from a farm. Add some oil and flavoring crap on top of all that and I spend about 100-110$/week on food.

You guys need to shop around a bit more for your meat, try heading to superbutcher sometimes.

I go to a small butcher that sells awesome meat at great prices,
free range chicken thighs $12/kg (I eat about 4kg/week)
grassfed hormone dree etc black angus beef mince $12/kg (eat about 2-3kg/week)
I go through a boat load of apples, broccoli, carrots and some other minor stuff.
Milk I get basically for free as I get it straight from a farm. Add some oil and flavoring crap on top of all that and I spend about 100-110$/week on food.

$12kg for chicken thighs and mince. Those are terrible prices. You can get them for half that price at the supermarket.

Supermarket stuff tastes like shit, coles sell their premium mince for $6/500g chicken thighs are generally like $8-9/kg but like I said dont taste anywhere near as nice. $12/kg is great prices, theres a difference between shit and chocolate although sometimes they may look the same.

Supermarket stuff tastes like shit, coles sell their premium mince for $6/500g chicken thighs are generally like $8-9/kg but like I said dont taste anywhere near as nice. $12/kg is great prices, theres a difference between shit and chocolate although sometimes they may look the same.

Lol. Yeah right.
I have got mince and thighs at wollies for $6kg.

There is no difference. The supermarkets get there meats from the same farmers that sell it at the markets and other places. I know I'm a farmer.

Lol. Yeah right.
I have got mince and thighs at wollies for $6kg.

There is no difference. The supermarkets get there meats from the same farmers that sell it at the markets and other places. I know I'm a farmer.

Youre absolutely right, you would know better than I do which taste I prefer. How stupid of me to think otherwise, I also find it hard to believe all the meat is the same, all the same breed, same cut etc but youre a farmer so Ill take what you say as gospel.

Its all marketing.

I grow and eat my own beef. Its grass fed, antibiotic and hormone free, free range and what ever other junk marketing term they are coming up with now and it's no different to supermarket stuff.

It's all gimmick marketing. There is no reason for it to be any different.

If you think it tastes better and want to spend double or more. No worries but it's no better product than what you get from the supermarket.

Its all marketing.

I grow and eat my own beef. Its grass fed, antibiotic and hormone free, free range and what ever other junk marketing term they are coming up with now and it's no different to supermarket stuff.

It's all gimmick marketing. There is no reason for it to be any different.

If you think it tastes better and want to spend double or more. No worries but it's no better product than what you get from the supermarket.

I know that it tastes different, as when I eat it it tastes different and when I feed it to other people they ask what I did to make it taste different, the answer is always nothing.

What youre saying is kind of like saying there is no difference between waygu and eating a Jersey, obviously there is.

I been doing allot of our shopping from ALDi supermarket, I eat about 3000 cals a day.

Typical day
Double scoop Whey shake in milk
3 egg Omelet with 250g bacon/tomato/onion
250g chicken breast with mix veg or on a sandwich with tomato
double scoop whey shake in milk
250g steak with mix veg/or on a sandwich
double whey shake in milk

I guess i spend about 200 bucks a week

i agree with bazza. My brother works for tip top and the same english muffins get sent to aldi for cheap, and then at another supermarket under a expensive brand.

I been doing allot of our shopping from ALDi supermarket, I eat about 3000 cals a day.

Typical day
Double scoop Whey shake in milk
3 egg Omelet with 250g bacon/tomato/onion
250g chicken breast with mix veg or on a sandwich with tomato
double scoop whey shake in milk
250g steak with mix veg/or on a sandwich
double whey shake in milk

I guess i spend about 200 bucks a week

yo how much does their steak and chicken breast cost per kg?

I know that it tastes different, as when I eat it it tastes different and when I feed it to other people they ask what I did to make it taste different, the answer is always nothing.

What youre saying is kind of like saying there is no difference between waygu and eating a Jersey, obviously there is.

Lol. your comparing something totally different to what we are talking about. Your comparing a dairy breed with an exotic beef breed. Obviously there is a difference. But the supermarkets are not selling jersey cows as there beef and I doubt your getting wagyu. Lol.

We are talking about beef animals. You think that a butcher is getting his animals from anywhere different or are they are any more special than the supermarkets. They are buying beef animals from beef farmers.

Basically what I am saying is your are paying inflated prices for the hormone free, grass fed gimmick marketing label.

Kal, your getting mince, which is the poorer meat anyway for more than what you can get good cuts of steak for.

Same with chicken thighs, I can't see why you would pay $12 a kg for them. when they are cheaper at the supermarket

Like I said before it's your cash do what ya want.

Lol. your comparing something totally different to what we are talking about. Your comparing a dairy breed with an exotic beef breed. Obviously there is a difference. But the supermarkets are not selling jersey cows as there beef and I doubt your getting wagyu. Lol.

We are talking about beef animals. You think that a butcher is getting his animals from anywhere different or are they are any more special than the supermarkets. They are buying beef animals from beef farmers.

What do you actually think is special about this beef you are getting for over double the price.

I had a flat mate who use to swear the king island beef at 4 times the price of normal was better tasting. Cooked him up a woolies steak without him knowing. He couldn't tell the difference.

Actually I have gotten waygu for $10/kg. So youre saying that there is a difference between beef cows and waygu but there is no difference between any other breeds (using jersey cows as an example was just to show my point)? I never once said there was anything special, I said I prefer the taste as do other people I cook it for (without knowing its different to woolies). I have already said what the beef I buy is, but I guess you do know more than I do about my taste preferences and what I do and do not buy. Also Im not paying twice the price, if you look at my original comment I compared it to coles premium beef which is $6/kg. Im pretty sure woolies PREMIUM is not $6/kg but I havent looked at their prices in a while so I wont tell you that you are as a fact, wrong. Im sure that you also think there is a difference in texture/taste from buying rump or buying eye fillet, or is there no difference in cuts either? Would this not make a difference in the taste of beef depending which part of the cow the butcher chooses to mince?

Actually I have gotten waygu for $10/kg. So youre saying that there is a difference between beef cows and waygu but there is no difference between any other breeds (using jersey cows as an example was just to show my point)? I never once said there was anything special, I said I prefer the taste as do other people I cook it for (without knowing its different to woolies). I have already said what the beef I buy is, but I guess you do know more than I do about my taste preferences and what I do and do not buy. Also Im not paying twice the price, if you look at my original comment I compared it to coles premium beef which is $6/kg. Im pretty sure woolies PREMIUM is not $6/kg but I havent looked at their prices in a while so I wont tell you that you are as a fact, wrong. Im sure that you also think there is a difference in texture/taste from buying rump or buying eye fillet, or is there no difference in cuts either? Would this not make a difference in the taste of beef depending which part of the cow the butcher chooses to mince?

Sorry I edited my last post because the point was getting lost.

There are obviously better cuts of meat but grass fed, hormone free, organic, ect are all marketing gimmicks not worth paying an extra cent for.

Kal, your getting mince, which is the poorer meat anyway for more than what you can get good cuts of steak for.

Same with chicken thighs, I can't see why you would pay $12 a kg for them. when they are cheaper at the supermarket

Like I said before it's your cash do what ya want.

Yes mince is generally a poorer cut of beef, but it depends on the cut of beef the butcher uses. Id like to see what good cut of steak you can get for less than $12/kg.

The OP asked how much people spend on their food, everyone here gave what they spend, the thread isnt about what you think. If you want to rag/bitch on what people eat pay open a new thread. If you want to give your opinion to the OP then do so.

Sorry I edited my last post because the point was getting lost.

There are obviously better cuts of meat but grass fed, hormone free, organic, ect are all marketing gimmicks not worth paying an extra cent for.

I somewhat agree with you, considering most of the cows in the supermarkets are mostly grassfed, depending of course on the availability of the feed. Most of the cattle/chicken in Australia are generally antibiotic free (and mostly hormone free?), from what Ive been told. Our system is completely different from the american system, which is where most of this type of info comes from. Thats no what my point was, I was just trying to get the point across that their are better cuts/breeds, I guess I could have been more clear with what I was trying to say.

I somewhat agree with you, considering most of the cows in the supermarkets are mostly grassfed, depending of course on the availability of the feed. Most of the cattle/chicken in Australia are generally antibiotic free (and mostly hormone free?), from what Ive been told. Our system is completely different from the american system, which is where most of this type of info comes from. Thats no what my point was, I was just trying to get the point across that their are better cuts/breeds, I guess I could have been more clear with what I was trying to say.

Your right I'm not arguing wether there are better cuts of meat. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

But organic is a load of crap term what ever country you are in. It is no better in any way.

I shot myself a kangaroo, I dunno which parts are decent though. I drained the blood and it's in the freezer now, hopefully there is a butchering guide on Google

I shot myself a kangaroo, I dunno which parts are decent though. I drained the blood and it's in the freezer now, hopefully there is a butchering guide on Google
I hope you have a license for that gun.

My local butcher has Chicken Breast is $7/kg, Rump Steak $8/kg and Porterhouse $18/KG (just for something special LOL) ,so for the week it costs me about $100.

My staple veggies for the week costs around $35.

That is for both my wife and myself.