• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The cost of eating well

The cost of not eating well!

Fadi.

Quite true.

As Oli brought up Wendlers diet I had a look and found this, pretty much sums me up too. I think some of his changes as he goes but it is still the same general idea.

The goal of my eating is to get at least 200g of protein. I don't get too wrapped up in the other stuff, only I try not to eat too crappy. I never stay away from anything, so if I want to eat something...I do. Like tonight, I will go to gymnastics with my son and then we go to the play area at the mall (a tired kid is a good kid). I love the pretzels at the mall, so I will eat them. Or I will get a slice of pizza.

The point is this: you don't have to stuff yourself all the time - just eat to your are content, exercise a lot and you will be fine. I'm not trying to look like a bodybuilder, so I don't eat like one. I know myself too well to know that I don't care enough to eat like that. Self-realization will go a long way in conquering your diet habits.

Here is the best advice I can give you: Eat different foods and see how you feel. If you feel like shit after you eat X food, don't eat it. Fast food makes me feel like crap, so I don't eat it too much. But I don't need to eat oatmeal all day to perform in the gym.

jim wendler said:
Breakfast (I choose one of these meals for breakfast)

1. 4 whole eggs, mixed with 1 cup oatmeal; add some real maple syrup to taste.

2. A steak and a baked potato (yes, I grill out at 7 in the morning.

3. Protein drink with milk, a couple pieces of toast with peanut butter.

4. 6 whole eggs, 2 pieces of toast

5. 6 whole eggs with salsa, 1 apple

6. Huge protein drink

Lunch (choose 1)

1. Chicken Salad
2. Chicken with rice
3. Turkey Sandwich

Dinner (choose 1 of these)

1. About 10 different chicken dishes that my wife cooks - they are excellent but I couldn't tell you what they are - just a lot of chicken and not too many carbs

2. Steak

At dinner, my wife also bakes some green beans with Olive Oil. I eat about 20-30 green beans - I love them. I don't know how she cooks them, but they are damn good.

I also eat about 1-3 protein drinks a day - each of them being about 60-70g of protein. I will also snack on some apples and protein bars throughout the day.

i type 10 characters now.

are you eating 1kg of meat a day? do you work a manual labour job?
I eat about 1kg of meats/fish per day, all up.

300g Tuna
300g of ham/chicken/roast beef
300-400g of chicken breast

I do a physical job though, constant heavy lifting and what not, always on the go, the only time I stop moving is on my one 30 min break.

Id also eat a kg of meat a day, my calorie intake is fairly high as i have to cater for my building needs and my boxing coaching so im very active every day.

Eating healthy shouldnt be boring and doesnt need to be hugley expensive, im not a fan of the same stuff 3 times a day, i couldnt stick to chicken and vegies 3 times a day 7 days a week.

I cook up huge amounts of food my children also eat as i do ,tuna morney's good , wholemeal pasta, heaps of tuna , cheese , onion , corn and a few eggs mixed up put into a baking dish and in a oven for 30. GReat cold.

Brown rice with shrimp and veggies (i sometimes use frozen ones its easy) mixed up like spiecal fried rice without all the bad oils. I cook up lean mince to with pasta and home made sauces.

Turkey mince is awsome to for a change and very lean.

Every day one of my meals consists of a huge tub of fruit salad too , chop it all up and put it in big tub with some (suger free) lemonade ,it stops it going brown in the fridge .

I used to count calories , but i made a lifestyle change, now im in such a routine i dont need too. I eat around 6000calories a day every day to stay around the 85kg mark because of my activaty level.

Meat is.
Chicken, fish, red meat (beef, lamb, cow etc), turkey, pork, tuna etc etc.
When I say meat I mean all of the above.

Also eggs. :)

Every day one of my meals consists of a huge tub of fruit salad too , chop it all up and put it in big tub with some (suger free) lemonade ,it stops it going brown in the fridge .

Fruit salad every day is one of the things I miss most.

homer-drooling.jpg

the bonus of being a chef-all different types of food at your disposal.
il eat 2-3 meals at work then also make something to take home with me maybe a couple of litres of milk aswell :p.
il spend on average around $20-30 a week on food for home

Id say anywhere from 100-150$ a week + protein etc.

Eating bad/out ends up costing way more - I remember when I had a "normal" job I would spend on avg $10-$15 a day just on lunch + another $5-$10 bucks during the day on random shit.

Hey guys

Just a quick question regarding organic fruit and vegetables. I live in Sydney and find it hard to buy fresh organic produce in my area (Kogarah, Rockdale, Hurstville). I've tried searching up organic grocers and their aren't anywhere nearby that are actual stores (all are delivery to your door). I had a look at the prices and in comparison would like an opinion on whether it is actually worth the extra money?

Speaking of organic, organic chicken breasts $40/kilo at woolworths :eek: (might just stick to free range lol)

Thanks

Hahaha. It is definatly worth it. Meat, however, is VERY expensive.

I buy sirlioin steaks from our butcher, $22kg.
Serloins from the organic markets, $32kg.
That not to bad, and I will buy my steaks (2) from there.

Chicken breasts from woolies, $8kg
Chicken breasts from orgainic markets, $38kg
That is WAY to expensive for me, at this point in time. In a few months Ill try and buy it from the markets. I eat 2-3kg of breasts for week, so thats ALOT of money. But id rather spend the coin than have to eat the anti-biotic, growth hormone, feather less, stinky arse chickens from woolies. But thats just me.

As far as fruit and veggies go, it only costs me about 30% more. So if your spending $100pw on fruit and veg, you must love it. So whats an extra $30 for insecticide free produce. 90% of the fruit and veg I eat gets picked THE DAY BEFORE I buy it, with the main exception being the 4kg of apples.

I wont buy "free range" from woolies, the stuff I have seen isnt CERTIFIED, so you you dont know HOW free range it.

The extra cost is definatly worth it. I feel 109878642097 times better already :).

Only 30% more? Damn that's pretty cheap, I have on organic grocer near me though the people that go there drive ferrari's and lamboghinis and it is literally AT LEAST double the price...

Guess I might need to do some more research haha...

Also where is the best place to buy your meats (for example local butcher etc, and whats the main difference?).

Thanks

Remember, that 30% extra is at ORGANIC MARKETS, not a green grocer. They will charge more.

Meat, I go to the local friendly butcher. Its a bit dearer than wollies, but they are friendly, and have better cuts.

If mums footing the bill though, get your meats from the markets too :D

Haha that's the problem since I want to eat organic the whole family has too and to feed my family isn't cheap haha...

Thanks for your help though ;)

i spend about $100 per week, two off us, thats just my food for work ect, then About $80 of Costco chciken breast packs every 3 weeks or so,

My dads turned vegan so i get all my steamed fresh veg for dinner that way, of not ill do my own ect. he gets good varity of whole grain organic products. No way i could afford what he buys tho. things like Quinnoa rolled oats ect, puffed Quinnoa, and Wholeweat 4 grain cous cous. Alot if bough online and health food shops in the city.

Even to the exent of organic toothepast and shampoo. soaps.

i spose he sepnds a hell of a lot to eat this kind of food now but he went from an not so healthy meat lover normal bloke to a vegan over the time of a 2 years, slowley cuting out bit by bit.

TBH i dont care much for all organic ect, clean and healthy is more my style. Untill the wallet permits. but 20 Yr old and saving for holiday and pouring the rest into my car dosent help ;)

Organic corn pasta is real nice if no one has tried it.

For fruit and veg i like to hit Flemmington markets in sydney every sunday or so and stock up, shelf life isent to good on veg but we eat quite alot at my house.

The shops are a rip off tho, a couple things set me back about $70 odd onmost occasion.

then a big shop will cost aound $180.

IM not a real brand snob so i will opt for the cheaper option on things that are the same either way.

Last edited:
Yes I find eating organic/fresh to be very expensive or time consuming.

If i go to a health/organic food shop and buy a few things like peanut butter, eggs, fruit etc it costs a fortune. Woolies/Safeway/Coles is bad enough, even things like apples and oranges are through the roof compared to what they used to be (and Im only 33yo!).

It used to be that fresh foods were the cheapest to eat, if you had no money then you could just eat heaps of fruit and vegies and it was the "rich people" who could afford to by processed food you keep in the freezer and just heat up in the oven.

Now its the other way where crap like fish fingers is the cheap way to go and poor people can't afford the fresh stuff.

As for time consuming, I work 9-5 and like to workout most evenings and so I really CBF spending a whole morning on one of my weekends going to markets and hunting down food when I can get it (or a similar substitue) quickly from a supermarket on the way home.

I don't really suscribe to the "chicken is pumped with anti-biotics" theory or "you are eating the animals fear" stuff, but it's hard to get a sensible answer as everyone has an agenda.

I just buy chicken breast/thighs, fruit and veg and tuna cans from the supermarket and get my steaks from the butcher. Anything else its pretty easy to see what is processed and what isn't.

the prices at wollies and coles is a joke, but either way people need to eat.

a quick trip to the market does save money tho, nothing beats $10 box mangoes when ther in season, or $2 for a whole bag of brocoli. for $20 you can buy a weeks worth of fresh fruit and veg,

Another thing ive noticed is self life of fruit and veg at coles mainly, bought cucumbers and a day later they were going soft.

i dont even call it Fresh furit and veg anymore. its bad.