• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New Forum "General Fitness Training"

well said from both points,
as noobs said, its hard to gain experience without linking yourself to different people, and its hard to make a link without similar interests...
but as admin said, you will get out there and eventually find these things out...
I was a keen runner for a while and well it helped my cardio levels but not so much my strength, now that im gaining strength ive noticed my long distance abilities have been reduced.... i used to run 10km every second day in under 50 minutes. I even managed 22km in 2 hours 15 mins.. after a few months of training i gained 12 kilos and a whole lotta strength but found that after attempting a 12km aussie day run with my boss, at the 3/4 mark i could barely make it as i wasnt conditioned for it anymore... I no longer have aspirations for long distance running but my boss does, and he still does some semi long distance runs on weekends while trying to gain strenght. the world is made up of many differing views and personalities and somehow we all need to cater for them all lol....

You are not getting my overall point, the point is you do not know people outside of you niche so you obviously do not know what every one else is interested in. Therefore you should not make a blanket statement when you do not have the facts.

You can run better now because you are fitter (cardiovascular wise) it does not mean you are a good runner though.

I dont want to be a good runner..

If i did i would join a running forum not a strength/body building forum..

Thanks for proving my point.. :)

I can not be bothered arguing with you anymore, but remember some people want strength and endurance not just strength.

And they are tipping scales...

Im just ****ing with you dave not arguing you know i lubz you...

I have never read so much twaddle.

The term fitness I believe means the ability to do a specific activity.

The moment you pick up a barbell, kettlebell, stone an odd object or whatever the phuck floats your boat ..for the purpose of building strength, conditioning and power you call yourself a bodybiulder.

If your goal is to run a 10km marathon and biuld strength remember that recovery comes from the same source.

I mean- how difficult is it to understand?!

Biulding muscle is not rocket surgery.

Biuld a base of strength using compound movements, once you are satisfied you may use isolation.

Don't listen to people telling you this works that doesn't, bodybiulders train this way powerbiulders train that way... Blah blah, everything works, everything.
Posted via Mobile Device

Silverback, that might be the case but there seems to be a big connection between barbell based work and fitness.

I've been surfing the internet ever since i tried to bulk up about a year and a half ago. This is what I've seen come and go:
- Westside
- Speed work
- Posterior chain training
- Core training
- Crossfit
- Unilateral work
- Kettlebells
- Bodyweight stuff

So much crap that looking back now it blows my mind (I get that not all of these are fatloss related, but could you honestly say the general fitness industry is vastly different?)

There just seems to be a connection between barbells, white people and being fit that doesnt occur anywhere near as fast in any other form. Those of us that shoot for a 140/100/180 total tend to end up miles ahead of those doing bodyweight and kettlebell circuits (and im not saying these dont work, just that some things work better)

Fitness should be based around this:
- Strength training that involves a barbell, flat bench and a power rack with squats, bench, deads, presses and power cleans
- Some kind of conditioning along with this (whether it be jogging, kettlebells, bodyweight or a boxing lesson once a week)

Clean up the diet and this is always the best for strength. My thing is its not miles away from what we talk about on the strength and bodybuilding forums post after post.

Admin has got it right.

Lifters that want to get stronger are a minority

Those that use the term "fitness" mean something totally different to what guys trying to get stronger do. I agree that incorporating weights into any program will increase your fitness.

Thats not the point though, most are not as educated and think fitness is found on a bike or road.

as far as all of us being bodybuilders, thats hilarious.

How many people here oil up and dance in front of strange men?

If you lift weights and dont compete at BB/PL/OL/SM/HG your just a recreational lifter.

That covers 99% of us.

Calling ourselves BB's is an insult to those that weigh all their food, never miss a cardio session or meal, spend hours on double splits, sacrifice their social life for months on end.

well done admin

If you lift weights and dont compete at BB/PL/OL/SM/HG your just a recreational lifter.

I have agree 100% with that statement, I would feel like a goose telling people i was a body builder because i lift weights at home yet have never competed.

Markos, that pretty much what powerlifters and oli lifters do, except they don't "oil up" they wear funny jump suits and make rediculous noises and cover themselves with chalk and then dance around in front of strange men and pretend that they are above everyone else.
My point here is that we are all biulding strength, there is no one way.

An idiot is the one that says my way is the best.

If you remember I was the one that coined the term lifting hobbyist which is probably 99% of the members on this board.

If you are embarrased to call yourself a bodybiulder maybe you have issues?

If this hobby was tagged under one heading I feel it would be a lot more friendly.

Markos; I feel you more often than not-incite a lot of animosity towards members on this forum.

The barbell is the best piece of equipment to use
Posted via Mobile Device

2 years ago when i started doing weights i would not have come here because of my perception of the goals of powerlifters or bodybuilding - all i wanted to do was improve my skiing - i wanted fitness. so i ran and did splits, bodypart per day, etc. i found this place late last year and can't help but think before i bought crap equipment and spent most of my time doing crap exercises. if there was a general fitness / exercise section i would have read it and likely turned to the core compound exercises a lot earlier.

silverback, i agree with what you're saying in principle but more people will come round to exercising better if they are attracted by a different perceived goal. surely that's a good outcome

silverback, i agree with what you're saying in principle but more people will come round to exercising better if they are attracted by a different perceived goal. surely that's a good outcome

Agree 100%

2 years ago when i started doing weights i would not have come here because of my perception of the goals of powerlifters or bodybuilding - all i wanted to do was improve my skiing - i wanted fitness. so i ran and did splits, bodypart per day, etc. i found this place late last year and can't help but think before i bought crap equipment and spent most of my time doing crap exercises. if there was a general fitness / exercise section i would have read it and likely turned to the core compound exercises a lot earlier.

Fair enough.

I've been involved so long I lose sight of the fact that it can be so confusing for a neophyte.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey no big words, you may confuse us lucky for me I watched the matrix and know neo means new :D

I don;t follow this philosophy Markos.

It's simple.
There are bodybuilders/lifters who compete and there's bodybuilder's/lifters who don't. End of the day we are all lifter's. There are some guys totally devoted to lifting who never compete. My brother was one of them. Try giving him a piece of chocolate at Easter..fat chance. Never competed in his life but could have. What a shame he got married. LOL

I don;t follow this philosophy Markos.

It's simple.
There are bodybuilders/lifters who compete and there's bodybuilder's/lifters who don't. End of the day we are all lifter's. There are some guys totally devoted to lifting who never compete. My brother was one of them. Try giving him a piece of chocolate at Easter..fat chance. Never competed in his life but could have. What a shame he got married. LOL

pics or ban :p

i think debate and challenging ideas is a positive thing and i prefer reading words that are direct and to the point. the writer and the reader need to realise that words can be misinterpreted and take that into context when reading and not get so precious.