• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Leg presses

vegas

Hey all,

I've got a really nit picking question that doesn't really have any great bearing on life- how much of the loaded weight on a leg press is the user actualy lifting? Ie, what % of the lift? Based on a 45 degree leg press.

You probly need to be some sort of maths genius to work it out (and I'm not ha ha ha).
Posted via Mobile Device

I always thought it was about half.....but saying that I havnt used a leg press or spoken about one since I was about 16

It's not important.

What's important is - is the resistance consistant and the strength curve correct?
Posted via Mobile Device

It's not important.

What's important is - is the resistance consistant and the strength curve correct?
Posted via Mobile Device

I suppose the reason he is asking is.. if osmeone can leg press 500kg but cant squat 100.. What is involved?

Obviously laot of different muscles but i dont think anyone gives 2 ****s about how much anyone can leg press...

Other wise pl comps would be cable cross over, lat pull down , leg press...

.....oh god..

I always thought it was around 70% of the dead weight.
Sometimes the footplate can weigh quite alot too.

An easy way to figure out the true force required would be to use a small set of scales inbetween your feet and the footplate, with maybe 100kg loaded.
Then you will see how much it weighs.
Then you can measure again while unloaded, to measure the true weight of the footplate, and figure out how much the 100kg represents in true force.

I can do it if someone really wants to know.

Yeah, interesting question...

I leg press as a supporting exercise on my PPP squat days and load the machine with 180kg for 8 deep reps. That is my absolute limit and feels a lot heavier than my squats. I'm squatting around the 100-110kg mark, bar included, for 5 odd reps at present.

Don't know what that means beyond you can do more on the leg press than squatting...

Cheers,
Mike

lol do you want me to work out the actual ratio? because in all honesty, it shouldnt be too hard to work it out.

Gareer

I suppose the reason he is asking is.. if osmeone can leg press 500kg but cant squat 100.. What is involved?

Obviously laot of different muscles but i dont think anyone gives 2 ****s about how much anyone can leg press...

Other wise pl comps would be cable cross over, lat pull down , leg press...

.....oh god..

The barbell squat and leg-press are two different exercises and cannot be compared.

Before you choose an exercise, know what it does.
Who gives a phuck about % it's childish.
Just load the plates on the machine and get some overload happening.
Posted via Mobile Device

The % will depend on the angle of incline. You can work it out with maths although I don't know how off the top of my head.

Provided you use the same leg press, the weight used doesn't matter except as a means of progression.

I really miss using a leg press ):

The barbell squat and leg-press are two different exercises and cannot be compared.

Before you choose an exercise, know what it does.
Who gives a phuck about % it's childish.
Just load the plates on the machine and get some overload happening.
Posted via Mobile Device

I just find it funny when people say yeah i leg press xxx...

The % will depend on the angle of incline. You can work it out with maths although I don't know how off the top of my head.

Provided you use the same leg press, the weight used doesn't matter except as a means of progression.

I really miss using a leg press ):

The easiest way is with vectors, you can basically assume that the amount of weight 'pressed' on an angle is the sum of the two component vectors (horizontal and vertical) and after that it's pretty easy. Or you could just use basic trig rules i guess.

Gareer

"It's not important.

What's important is - is the resistance consistant and the strength curve correct?"

I never said it was important- and nor is the strength curve or resistance consistancy.

"I suppose the reason he is asking is.. if osmeone can leg press 500kg but cant squat 100.. What is involved?"

No, I'm asking out of curiosity

"Who gives a phuck about % it's childish.
Just load the plates on the machine and get some overload happening"

I give a phuck about %, because I want to know. I dont have or use or WANT TO have or use a leg press, i'm just interested in the mechanical aspect of it purely out of curiosity.

"It's not important.

What's important is - is the resistance consistant and the strength curve correct?"

I never said it was important- and nor is the strength curve or resistance consistancy.

"I suppose the reason he is asking is.. if osmeone can leg press 500kg but cant squat 100.. What is involved?"

No, I'm asking out of curiosity

"Who gives a phuck about % it's childish.
Just load the plates on the machine and get some overload happening"

I give a phuck about %, because I want to know. I dont have or use or WANT TO have or use a leg press, i'm just interested in the mechanical aspect of it purely out of curiosity.

Why do you want to know?

because its obvious that you dont lift the entire amount so i want to know how much you actually lift. Is anyone gonna answer?

Heres a mathematical idea for what the % may be vegas.

Assumptions:
  • 1.The percentage lifted is the vertical component
  • 2. The amount lifted is the percentage of the weightplates added minus bodyweight or more accurately the vertical component of your bodyweight is added.

Thus I came up with the idea that the percentage of the amount you lift is equal to the amount of weight * Sin 45 degrees (1/sqrrt(2)).

So - % Weight lifted = (Weight loaded * .707)

Once again this is a rough estimate and I can go into more detail, but it will also be slightly easier as stated earlier due to the fact that your not also carrying your bodyweight on your legs. Once again would require another mathematical equation to figure out. Hope this helps.

Gareer

Gareer- so it is about 70% yeah? (.707 is roughly 70-71%)- and thanks for answering mate, much appreciated.

silverback- can you read? It says about 3 times I wanna know coz I'm curious, fair dinkum you must be a bit slow on the uptake.....
Posted via Mobile Device