• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Vitamin C, The Most Successful Vitamin for Healing

Hey n00bs,

Is using calcium ascorbate instead of ascorbic acid a good option (no sodium and no dental side effects)?
Personally, I hate having to drink with a straw and don't always have one around.
I noticed in the chemist that calcium ascorbate is listed as non-acidic...any thoughts?
Thanks mate

Is calcium ascorbate as good a form of vitamin C as ascorbic
acid?”

Maybe. Because it is non-acidic, calcium ascorbate can be just
the thing for persons with sensitive stomachs. But it costs more,
and is somewhat less “natural” than ascorbic acid, the kind of
vitamin C found in foods. Buffering good old cheap ascorbic
acid with a cheap calcium tablet often works about as well.
But there is one application in which calcium ascorbate is s
upreme: topical use. It can be made into a paste with a little
(very little) water and put directly on skin or gums. I know persons
who have had receeding gums greatly improve by using this trick.

Calcium ascorbate: Pure calcium ascorbate provides 114 mg of calcium per 1000 mg

Im not 100%

You could always by tabs and down them, that way you save your gums. So basically to get 1g of Vit C from calcium ascorbate you would be downing 10g of powder.

Thanks n00bs
I assume it's safe to drink without a straw if people make it into a paste and apply directly to their gums.
For the record it's exactly the same price as ascorbic acid.
From chemist warehouse it is $9.95/125gm.
Bulknutrients is $18/250gm (plus shipping).

You could always by tabs and down them, that way you save your gums. So basically to get 1g of Vit C from calcium ascorbate you would be downing 10g of powder.

Hey Dave,

Have you got that figure from n00bs quote?
If so you have confused the calcium with vitamin C.

Vitamin C, Vitamin C Powders, Vitamin C benefits, Vitamin C supplements, health supplements : Melrose Health | Products

1 gram is equivalent to 900mg Vitamin C with 100mg Calcium

For the record, I don't care about the calcium at all.
I just want Vitamin C without the sodium (can't find any tablets that fit this criteria Dave:() and that I don't have to drink with a straw.

iherb is awesome, get some fish oil from there when you order (500mg DHA 250mg EPA) really cheap compared to here for awesome quality product. You can even pick up some greens powder... the list goes on. But if I were you go through everything you need and make 1 big order (you get discounts as the order goes up and will save on shipping) and you should save a bundle compared to australian shops and get some really good quality products.

iherb is awesome, get some fish oil from there when you order (500mg DHA 250mg EPA) really cheap compared to here for awesome quality product. You can even pick up some greens powder... the list goes on. But if I were you go through everything you need and make 1 big order (you get discounts as the order goes up and will save on shipping) and you should save a bundle compared to australian shops and get some really good quality products.

Squah one and smell it to check for rancidity daveo...