• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Vitamin C, The Most Successful Vitamin for Healing

A good multi on top on "marcro greens" and that immune booster that I sent to you in PM that fadi recommend to me?
What do you use?
Posted via Mobile Device

eagle tresos b pulSe.. contains no iron as well so good for men.

There is a post on it somewhere.

10 000mg down. Shits are the same, seem to be farting alot though. Not sure if it's from the vitamin C or the fact that I have at least trippled my veggie intake....

Also, noobs, do you know if vitC loses any goodness from putting it in hot water?
The reason I ask is because the missus wants to make a hot drink in the morning and would rather use VitC over lemon ect...
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
10 000mg down. Shits are the same, seem to be farting alot though. Not sure if it's from the vitamin C or the fact that I have at least trippled my veggie intake....

Also, noobs, do you know if vitC loses any goodness from putting it in hot water?
The reason I ask is because the missus wants to make a hot drink in the morning and would rather use VitC over lemon ect...
Posted via Mobile Device

I would use lemon as well.. Lemon and vitamin c in the morning will stimulate the vagus nerve and sitmulate digestion for the day... Plus lemon is very alkalising all your water should have a lemon squeezed into it..

I would use lemon as well.. Lemon and vitamin c in the morning will stimulate the vagus nerve and sitmulate digestion for the day... Plus lemon is very alkalising all your water should have a lemon squeezed into it..

I assume one doesn't need a fresh lemon for this and can simply buy a bottle of lemon juice?
Is there a particular amount of lemon juice per glass that is best?

When does the n00bs health book come out? You have another great idea every day :p

I assume one doesn't need a fresh lemon for this and can simply buy a bottle of lemon juice?
Is there a particular amount of lemon juice per glass that is best?

When does the n00bs health book come out? You have another great idea every day :p

Fresh lemons please, they are cheap and taste alot better...

Something thathas been pasturised and sitting in plastic on a shelf for 6 months is surley not going to have live enzymes in it...

How much would you suggest? 1 lemon per litre?
If you say 1 lemon per cup I don't think I'll be able to drink it and I definitely won't be able to convince the mrs to! :p

How much would you suggest? 1 lemon per litre?
If you say 1 lemon per cup I don't think I'll be able to drink it and I definitely won't be able to convince the mrs to! :p

1 whole lemon in cammomile tea is very tasty , try it you wont regret it!

Ginger and vit C? Army for us all Noobs?

Ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe) is one of the world’s best-known spices, and it is universally used throughout history for its health benefits. The dried extract of ginger contains monoterpenes and sesquiterpenes. The main antioxidant principles in ginger are the gingerols, shogaols and some related phenolic ketone derivatives. Ginger extract possesses antioxidative characteristics, since it can scavenge superoxide anion and hydroxyl radicals. Ginger alone contains up to 12 compounds providing as much as 40-times higher antioxidant activity than vitamin E. The National Cancer Institute has identified ginger as one of the top-10 anti-cancer foods. As with other botanicals and herbs, ginger also offers numerous other benefits and could easily be placed in the cardiovascular category. Dehydrogingerdione (1), one of the constituents of ginger, possesses a partially methylated catechol moiety, a 1,3-diketo functionality and an extended conjugation (Fig. 3).

Fig. 3Chemical structure of ginger compounds (14)

In principle, compounds possessing multiple double bonds and especially with active hydrogen can act as radical scavengers via addition to double bonds and/or abstraction of hydrogen atom from the allylic position as is the case with lipids. The positive role of the β-diketone moiety in the antioxidant action of four ginger-derived phenolic diketones (1–4) (Fig. 3) against lipid peroxidation were reported [31] using biologically relevant model systems and pulse radiolysis. In iron-independent peroxidation, however, 1 showed activity comparable to that of curcumin. This was ascribed due to its higher affinity for the lipid peroxyl radical due to higher hydrophobicity. The antioxidant/prooxidant activity of a test compound in iron-mediated lipid peroxidation in a biological system is critically governed by factors such as the concentration of endogenous reducing systems and/or redox couples. Thus, the true antioxidant activity of 1 was assessed by use of a biologically relevant liposomal system, devoid of reductants such as ascorbate, reduced form of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADPH), etc., and by carrying out the Fe2+-mediated peroxidation at pH 5.0, at which value Fe2+ remains unoxidized, for at least 3 h, during which considerable peroxidation took place. This study not only ensured minimization of the prooxidant effect of ascorbate, but also assisted in the quantitative comparison of the antioxidant activities of 1 and ascorbate, individually and in combination. The protection offered by vitamin C (15 µM) alone was considerably less than that offered by 1 even at lower concentrations (5 and 10 µM). More interestingly, the antioxidant activity of 1 increased drastically in the presence of vitamin C at increasing concentrations. These results strongly suggest that 1 scavenges the LOO· radical more quickly than vitamin C does, but the radical generated from 1 then reacts with vitamin C to regenerate 1. This established a synergistic effect of vitamin C on the antioxidant activity of 1. The above results were also confirmed by pulse radiolytic studies of the reaction between 1 and the trichloromethylperoxyl radical (CCl3O2·). In spite of its higher reduction potential value (1.5 V), compared to the physiologically relevant peroxides, the CCl3O2· radical is extensively used as a representative peroxyl radical because of the inherent simplicity in performing the experiments, and it was indeed used earlier to study a very important biophysical phenomenon, namely free radical interaction between vitamin E and vitamin C [32]. The radical can be generated in aerated water/isopropanol/acetone mixtures containing carbon tetrachloride. A very high rate constant (2 × 109 M−1s−1) for the reaction between 1 and CCl3O2· established the superior antioxidant efficacy of 1 in comparison to vitamins C and E. This study also established a synergistic effect of vitamin C on the antioxidant activity of 1. On the basis of pulse radiolysis study, liposomal peroxidation study and HPLC analysis of the products, a mechanism for the antioxidant action of 1 has been proposed, suggesting the contribution of the phenolic group as well as the active methylene group of the 1,3-diketones [31].
The pulse radiolysis studies revealed its high reactivity with the hydroxyl and glutathiyl radicals. With the hydroxyl radicals, it initially formed three species, an adduct, a phenoxyl and a methylenic radical. The bimolecular rate constants for the formation of these species were the same (6.8 × 109 M−1s−1). At a later stage a phenoxyl radical is produced through an intramolecular transformation from the initial radicals [33]. In the case of glutathiyl-radical-induced oxidation, a carbon-centered radical was inferred from the result of the oxygen effect on the decay of the radical. A suitable mechanism for all the reactions mentioned for the oxidation of 1 has been proposed

31. Patro B.S., Rele S., Chintalwar G.J., Chattopadhyay S., Adhikari S., Mukherjee T. Lipid protective activities of dehydrogingerdiones and probable mode of action. Chem. Bio. Chem. 2002;3:364–370.
32. Packer J.E., Slater T.F., Willson R.L. Direct observation of a free radical interaction between vitamin E and C. Nature. 1979;278:737–738. [PubMed]
33. Patro B.S., Adhikari S., Chintalwar G.J., Chattopadhyay S., Mukherjee T. The radioprotection and antioxidant properties of dehydrogingerdione. Res. Chem. Interm. 2005;31:667–678.
34. Ng T.B., Liu F., Wang Z.T. Antioxidant activity of natural products from plants. Life Sci. 2000;66:709–723. [PubMed]

You can get vitamin c injected into you. A lot of cancer patients get vitamin c treatments because if you just take it orally the body will only take up a certain amount so cancer patients have to get it injected like a drip for a few hours

You can get vitamin c injected into you. A lot of cancer patients get vitamin c treatments because if you just take it orally the body will only take up a certain amount so cancer patients have to get it injected like a drip for a few hours

Correct but you dont want to **** around with something like that expect for having a good health care professional do it for you.. These are simply measures that everday people can take for themsevles...

I think you can only get it done by a doctor. I know there is a place in City but the guy who does it use to be a surgeon

ANy where should be able to do it.. An IV isnt somehting hard to do.. Just finding someone who isnt iggnorant is the problem.

Update:
Had 18 000mg today. No problems as yet. A med student bet me that my body wont handle any thing over 15 000mg. I win.

21 000mg tomorrow. 30g is in sight.

Update:
Had 18 000mg today. No problems as yet. A med student bet me that my body wont handle any thing over 15 000mg. I win.

21 000mg tomorrow. 30g is in sight.

woohoo go Sticky..lol.. i love the taste of Vitamin C drink..lol.. i put a heaped teaspoon into a litre of water and drink it throughout my day at work..

Hey sticky, watch your teeth. It is acid you are drinking so wash your mouth out after each drink and supposedly drinking it with a straw helps keep too much of it affecting you teeth. I have a bag of powder but I am thinking maybe the tablets are a better idea due to enamel decay.

Hey sticky, watch your teeth. It is acid you are drinking so wash your mouth out after each drink and supposedly drinking it with a straw helps keep too much of it affecting you teeth. I have a bag of powder but I am thinking maybe the tablets are a better idea due to enamel decay.

I just chug it down if no straw available... I also just purchased tablets for on the run type situations..

As long as you avoid chewable ones youll be ok.

And yes rinse your mouth and avoid brushing teeth for a lil while after ingestion.

25000 down today.

Noobs, I have been a bit hesitant to take any other antioxidents like grape seed extract or my veggie juices incase the acid destorys any of the good stuff.....

On the back of "Macro greens" it says not to take with citrus. Do you think wpc and fish oil would be effected too? Its so hard to fit all this stuff in one day :(

By the way that book you recommened came today, its pretty good.

Last edited: