• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
The thread title is referrng to bOdybuilders, not strengh training, I would rate bb'ers by size, small & fat = novice, big & lean = advanced.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree completely... strength stats are irrelevant for bodybuilders

Well it's a stupid thread title then, in the wrong forum.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's a stupid thread.

The only test a lifter needs to pass is the test of time.
Forget about what the other person is doing just get your dead arse ander the phucking bar and lift like your life depends on it, because it does.
I've never read such nonsense.

Last edited:
I think Andy was saying that your comment was moronic.

If strength isnt important, lets see how far a BB would go with 40kg benches and 60kg squats.

Arnold began as a weightlifter, Franco was a powerlifter, Ronnie was a powerlifter.

Weight is very important, just not as important as it is to a lifter.

And for the record, back in the day, Grimek and other bodybuilders had to perform strength feats on stage.

Back then, the unhealthiest guys werent on the stage, like they are now.

weight lifted is definitely important... you need to lift to get big. The question was: "How can we determine whether a trainee is beginner, intermediate or advanced" In bodybuilding you are judged on physique, not how you got there, or how much you can lift. I never said that "how much you could lift" wasn't important, I said that the actual "strength stats" don't determine how elite they are.

Craft,

Thats a stupid standard to set up because the overwhelming majority of trainees on this forum no matter how hard they try arnt going to look like 'advanced' bodybuilders, but they CAN get to a x2 bodyweight squat.

Oh that's right, I forgot that they set up a bench press at bodybuilding comps to see who the winner is..

That's it, and they exercise to shape their muscle and blast their biceps from different angles because there's two heads so they gotta do a lot of exersize.

I think it's really quite simple, find what works and stick with it, when it stops, re-asses.
Muscle responds to overload.

Thankyou Markos, your words speak volume, once again.
Posted via Mobile Device

weight lifted is definitely important... you need to lift to get big. The question was: "How can we determine whether a trainee is beginner, intermediate or advanced" In bodybuilding you are judged on physique, not how you got there, or how much you can lift. I never said that "how much you could lift" wasn't important, I said that the actual "strength stats" don't determine how elite they are.

Here we go again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Craft I believe it is because you used the term 'irrelevant' that you got the backlash. Maybe 'Strength stats are not nearly as important as overall size and development in determining bodybuilder status' would be a better statement for you.

It's a stupid thread.

The only test a lifter needs to pass is the test of time.
Forget about what the other person is doing just get your dead arse ander the phucking bar and lift like your life depends on it, because it does.
I've never read such nonsense.

Best post on this forum.

Craft I believe it is because you used the term 'irrelevant' that you got the backlash. Maybe 'Strength stats are not nearly as important as overall size and development in determining bodybuilder status' would be a better statement for you.

Fair enough... I see your point, however, I think we'll all just have to agree to disagree... Strength is very important, strength stats are not.

I think the question may have been posted in the wrong forum. Most people replying are obviously people that train for strength, I am not.

powerlifting comps are judged on strength, BB comps are judged on size... simple as that, period...

If you are a junior lifter who aspires to be a body builder, it is important to lift heavy (we all know that). Now if this junior wants to progress to the next levels, he will be judged by his coach or himself on lagging muscle parts/size etc. To get these muscles up to scratch, he will then need to do certain things like erghhmm... lift heavy etc. So in body building, even if your junior, the only way to be judged is first and formost by size, quality, seperation, symmetry etc. Then you prescribe a lacking area/muscle group with heavy lifting.

Yes, there exist categories.

Does it matter? Do we need to find your category so we can put you in a manila folder and file you away somewhere? Or are you an individual human being and all that stuff?

OMG,, well the main reasonbehind my question was the workout routines i should stick to. The one of the answer which satisfied my mind were from oliver.. but anyway most of you guys are much more experienced and advanced than my level. I have my set goals that i want to squat 160kg, deadlift 200kg, bench 100kg. I am a small guy with 179cm height, weighing 78kilo atm. My goal is not to be a powerlifter nor being a body builder. All i want is healthy body { well there is a hidden wish of look ripped .. six packs i dont know whether i would be able to get there or not but yeah that what i want] Once i reach my strength goals i want to get into some kind of fighting sports may be MMA. As i mentioned earlier i want to lift heavier than what i m lifting now and as Oliver suggested I am doing rippetoe's routine. The last thing i mentioned in the first post of this thread is the mate i am talking about is training for muscles and so I am. but how this difference in the weights going to affect the eventual results like i m doing more in the squats, deads, bench and he is doing more on dumbell exercises!!

Mate, the question of which routines to stick to you have got backwards. You don't figure out whether you're "intermediate" or whatever and then decide your lifts. You just start lifting, and keep doing the same thing for as long as it gets you good results.

What you do is this: begin with a full-body routine of basic compound exercises, 3 a session (legs, push, pull) at least twice a week. Do the same 3 exercises every time. In every session, do more - more weight, more reps or more sets.

Keep doing that until you can't increase the weights, reps or sets from one session to the next on any of the exercises any more. Once that happens, look at your diet and rest. You are probably not eating enough - to lift more, you have to eat more. No, more than that. Eat more. And most Westerners don't get enough sleep, we're too busy playing computer games or something late at night. Sort out your nutrition and sleep and then see if you can keep doing more, more, more.

At some point you stall again. It's then time to discover another exercise for each of legs, push and pull. Keep doing the old 3, but alternate in another workout with the new 3.

In most cases that approach can take you far. See for example Shorty.

Great PTC newsletter Kyle Aaron. I havent read that one before. One strong little bugger hey. Gotta love the gains from the big 3 lifts, Ive focused on these for the past 6 months and stopped ****ing around with other shit and made the best gains in the past 5 years.