• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] 12 Steps to a big bench - How to bench more weight by Dave Tate

The rippetoe squat involves an even more forward lean and lower bar position than a power lifting style squat with elbows high with a close grip thumbs over to lock the bar and looking down 6ft in front to activate hip drive.

I can get pretty ****ing deep. I know this because my cue for getting out of the hole is when my hamstrings press against my calves.

They dont leave low bar squats (not powerlifting squats, I DONT do those) for dead at all, theyre the normative movement in most sports because they mimmick the exact angle of the backs and glutes in scrums, tackles and a whole host of other things.

Look up any powerlifter, rugby player or NFL player (the sports which use low bar squats) and they'll have WAY more glute and posterior chain development than an average olympic lifter - its pretty much their signature muscle.

Last edited:
The rippetoe squat involves an even more forward lean and lower bar position than a power lifting style squat with elbows high with a close grip thumbs over to lock the bar and looking down 6ft in front to activate hip drive.

Exactly. Also their stance is closer than shoulder width.

I'd film myself and show you but last time I filmed my deadlift mum found it and pissed herself laughing.

YouTube - 40 rep Squats - this is the exact style i squat in (albeit less weight). Last time I looked that was deep.

Put the phucking bar on your back that will improve your leverages.
Short torso v long legs high bar
long torso v short legs low bar
Posted via Mobile Device

So I guess you advocate belly benching as well Andy, that improves your leverages.

It does nothing for development of your chest, but you'll move more weight.

Oli, your miles out about PC strength between the 2 sports, but unless you try Olympic lifting, youll never know

Who gives a stuff if your mum thought it was funny!! I would have told her to get under the bar and have a crack...

Your numbers are very impressive, no doubt about it.

Your shyness to posting up vids/pics isn't :p

Oli has posted pics, and he plans to compete shortly.

I have no doubt he squats legal depth, I do think he has a boney ass and no quads though lol

see you soon big fella

So I guess you advocate belly benching as well Andy, that improves your leverages.

It does nothing for development of your chest, but you'll move more weight.

Oli, your miles out about PC strength between the 2 sports, but unless you try Olympic lifting, youll never know

You Idiot.

If you are squatting 1.5 times your bw you think you would be doing something right.

Squat, bench and press how you like, are you progressing ? Excellent.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
It depends if you are squatting for the sole purpose of moving more weight, or squatting for the purpose of more athletic ability and muscular development

As I've said before, powerlifting is the only sport that has the squat as an event, EVERYWHERE else, its an exercise.

Surely you agree that if you do an exercise you should have a reason for performing it. I can squat in a way that develops my lower back more than my quads, should I do that?

I always thought heavy cleans and snatches will provide a hell of a lot of PC development. An Oli I have no problem with how that guy squatted just keep doing it as it is working for you. When you said you low bar I thought you were going wide stance powerlifting style too. My mistake.
Posted via Mobile Device

All of which are by- products of exercise markos; strength, power, speed, health, mobility, athleticism.

More often than powerlifters, like swimmers are similar in design.
Posted via Mobile Device

I posted about an incident I witnessed 25 years ago at a PL meet.

Two OL were watching with interest. When the DL finished, they asked if they could try. They both picked up 260kg in there street clothes like it was nothing. OL dont DL, they hadnt tried before. They looked puzzled as to why that would be impressive.

Nobody, but nobody competes with PC when compared to OL

All of which are by- products of exercise markos; strength, power, speed, health, mobility, athleticism.

More often than powerlifters, like swimmers are similar in design.
Posted via Mobile Device

There are definitely better ways to perform an exercise if improved performance in field sports is your goal, without question.

Markos, I appreciate what you are trying to say - a high bar squat will have more carryover to other activities.

I agree with you generally, but a low bar squat with a narrow stance would have even MORE carryover. Its just a more natural movement.

If you push a car you squat down and use your legs and hips to drive against it. Is your stance narrower than shoulder width? yes. Is your back vertical like in a HB squat? no, its leaning forward for a better leverage.

Ive never really been interested in olympic lifting btw. Both Kroc and Wendler dont do it...

I don't feel this discussion is going anywhere :p

we all squat and squat in a way that enables us to squat good numbers, that wonderful.

Watch Paul Anderson; his legs hardly move.
Dave Draper holds the bar just before the plates, Ken liestner looks like he fold in half.

My long legs make me lean forward.
My friends short legs longer torso enables him to stay upright, he gets more drive through the hip.
All things being equal my lower back is far stronger.
On a leg press I'm far stronger.
I'm built to dead-lift and I can, 5x5 200kg followed by shurgs 2 sets 12x100 followed by 20 reps x 220 on a hammer iso leg press.
In the same workout... Pullovers, dips with 25kg, flys, chin-ups then farmers walk covering 30 mtrs with 40's.
Done in 45 minutes.
I have a love hate relationship with squats
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
I don't feel this discussion is going anywhere :p

we all squat and squat in a way that enables us to squat good numbers, that wonderful.

Watch Paul Anderson; his legs hardly move.
Dave Draper holds the bar just before the plates, Ken liestner looks like he fold in half.

My long legs make me lean forward.
My friends short legs longer torso enables him to stay upright, he gets more drive through the hip.
All things being equal my lower back is far stronger.
On a leg press I'm far stronger.
I'm built to dead-lift and I can, 5x5 200kg followed by shurgs 2 sets 12x100 followed by 20 reps x 220 on a hammer iso leg press.
In the same workout... Pullovers, dips with 25kg, flys, chin-ups then farmers walk covering 30 mtrs with 40's.
Done in 45 minutes.
I have a love hate relationship with squats
Posted via Mobile Device

Dont we all :p