• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] 12 Steps to a big bench - How to bench more weight by Dave Tate

cuts the leg drive out of the movement, thus isolating their chest more.

Good write up. I've always arched. feels way more comfortable and safe than a flat bench ever will.

Thats hectic bro, when they are benching 60kg... Lol classic..

LOL low bar glutes aint got shit on ATG olympic squat glutes. And with oly squats our quads block out the sun!!!

LOL low bar glutes aint got shit on ATG olympic squat glutes. And with oly squats our quads block out the sun!!!

They're comparable but theres no doubt low bar squats are better. Just look at the glute development on any powerlifter as compared to an olympic lifter.

Are you suggesting we go check out guys asses Oli???

Deep squats do promote a lot more glute max recruitment but I suppose as low bar powerlifters use of excessive amounts of hip flexion that it would promote more glute max recruitment as well. Anyone have any EMG data on that?

Dave, you're assuming one is deep and the other is not. I can squat as deep as any of you low bar.

rippetoe said:
But this is beside the primary point of my argument: high-bar squats have a limited usefulness,
for several reasons. As we discussed earlier, the low-bar squat is the primary exercise for developing
hip drive – the active recruitment of the muscles of the posterior chain. The hamstrings, adductors,
and glutes in a low-bar squat act directly to open the hip angle out of the bottom. In a front squat the
hamstrings are shortened by the closed knee angle and open hip angle into a position of contraction,
and cannot be used to make the hips extend since they are already contracted. The extremely vertical
back angle is maintained by the glutes and the contracted hamstrings, and the glutes and adductors
function as the primary extensors of the hip in the absence of hamstring involvement. This means
that there is little hamstring in a front squat and lots of hamstring in a low-bar back squat. And a
high-bar back squat is intermediate between the two. I specifically want there to be lots of hamstring
involvement in the squat, especially for Olympic weightlifters, most of whom either will not or are not
allowed to deadlift heavy and thereby get some hamstring work. If all your squat work – front squats
when you clean and when you do them out of the rack, and high-bar back squats – omits effective
hamstring involvement, and you don’t deadlift, your posterior chain gets inadequate training. And this
can be costly on a 3rd attempt clean. If we’re front squatting when we clean and when we front squat,
what earthly reason would there be to make our back squats more like an exercise we’re already doing,
an exercise that leaves out a muscle group that is very important when we pull?

Maybe we should move this discussing to the squat article that Nick put up. (I notice how you conveniently forgot that you told us to check out other guys asses)

Maybe we should move this discussing to the squat article that Nick put up. (I notice how you conveniently forgot that you told us to check out other guys asses)

I dont want to. It will involve me getting attacked because I do something different to the rest of the forum.

No you cant Oli, sorry, but Olympic styles squat leaves the powerlifting for dead when it comes to carryover in sport, development and pure asthetics.

this was never more obvious at the recent state titles.

I have watched footage of the entire meet countless times, and they look like 2 different movements sorry.

Ultimately you may squat more powerlifting style, its just that Nick had the biggest raw squat at the meet, deep Olympic style.

to hear the MC yelling out "Obviously another squatter from PTC, look how deep he goes" during the entire squat phase bought a tear to my eye lol.

Then to nearly sweep every award (missed one) without arching, low bars, belts shows me were going the right way.

I had Rick at AK tell me I was foolish not allowing belts. He said if Max lost by a handful of kg, I should make him wear a belt next time. I said that if he won, everyone should bin there belts.

He now has 2 national records, smashed 2 world records (unofficially) all without a belt.

I'm taking all belts for recycling, mail them to PTC lol

All jokes aside, I dont think I could watch my clients train hour after hour with arches, parallel squats, low bar, belts etc.

I dont conform, and my lifters dont suffer, instead they excell.

the true test will be at Nats though. I just hope a couple can win their weight classes.

I tried squatting with a low bar position this week, and it ended up causing a very sharp pain in my right wrist. I tried moving my grip in but it was still there. I'll probably keep trying with my warm up sets to see if it's just a flexibility issue or similar... but unless it goes away high bar will be staying.

I dont want to. It will involve me getting attacked because I do something different to the rest of the forum.

Instead, you side with the rest of the powerlifting population, you are not different at all Oli. Low bar squats are the norm in powerlifting, high bar deep are different.

I think low bar is fine if all you are interested in is powerlifting, I would not get an sporting athlete to squat that way though. I do not mind rippetoe's argument about getting more posterior chain involvement on the squat through low bar, but I would much rather work by PC with a different exercise and do a Oly squat.