• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Are you experiencing pain the bar with no weights?

Well if i try and position my arms and hands in standard squat position, then i get a slight pain in my chest, before shoulders start to feel pain. Only because i think they don't stretch out that far. If i hold my arms out stretched to the ends of the bar then i'm fine. Hence why i need to hold onto the plates to try and do squats.

Well if i try and position my arms and hands in standard squat position, then i get a slight pain in my chest, before shoulders start to feel pain. Only because i think they don't stretch out that far. If i hold my arms out stretched to the ends of the bar then i'm fine. Hence why i need to hold onto the plates to try and do squats.

Your shoulder flexibility sucks the dong. It will improve over time but do some arm/shoulder stretches before you squat.

The closer your grip = the tighter your back = the more your back is prepared for big weights.

Your shoulder flexibility sucks the dong. It will improve over time but do some arm/shoulder stretches before you squat.

The closer your grip = the tighter your back = the more your back is prepared for big weights.

Yes my flexibility isn't the greatest :(

I need some advice regarding squats, specifically speed or tempo.
What I mean is that during my last squat workout I did 5 sets of 10 with 85kg, however between each rep I had to take 5-10 secs rest (didn't rack the bar just standing with it on my shoulders locked out).
I'm not sure if this "counts" as a set of 10, so tonight I backed it off to 75kg with no rest between reps maybe 1 or 2 seconds during the last reps.
So what is the correct way to perform sets?

If you're doing 5 x 10 with 85kg then I suspect the weight is not the issue but your actual cardiovascular fitness is, especially if your taking so long between reps from the first set. If you're only having that that kind of rest between reps on the 2nd last to last set, then it is more a case of general fatigue.

How is your breathing technique? Typically you should take a deep breath in before you begin to lower and only begin a slow and controlled exhale as you near the completion of the rep. Take two or three deep breaths at the top before starting your next rep and use that time to adjust foot placement for the next rep. If you're doing higher reps, you should be able to squat up and down with a regular and consistent cadence until the last few reps where your muscles and lungs are really starting to work.

Try squatting the 85kg for as many consistent reps as possible before taking a few extra seconds for the last couple of reps. It might mean you only do 8 reps total but you'll get each set done much quicker.

I need some advice regarding squats, specifically speed or tempo.
What I mean is that during my last squat workout I did 5 sets of 10 with 85kg, however between each rep I had to take 5-10 secs rest (didn't rack the bar just standing with it on my shoulders locked out).
I'm not sure if this "counts" as a set of 10, so tonight I backed it off to 75kg with no rest between reps maybe 1 or 2 seconds during the last reps.
So what is the correct way to perform sets?

You're right. Lower weight as you have and try taking one breath and see how you go from now on.

This is a great write up! Just a question. You say don't focus on pushing down with heels but rather focus on forcing the chest up and pushing the back into the bar. This comment is either being misinterpreted by myself, or I am still confused by what is correct. I have recently been accidentally doing this as I have increased the weight and was told not to do this by some other members. Is this comment supposed to be an action or a thought and should I be leading with my chest or simply pushing down on my heels to lift the weight forcing my thighs to take the load. At which point do I lead with the chest because I don't know when it would be too premature?

If on a slightly bent angle and doing a good morning I understand is not right, but it feels so natural to me to want to perform a very under exaggerated good morning while about 2/3 of the way up. I am still confused if I am doing it right or wrong because I was told to maintain the same back angle all the way up but if my back is on a slight angle once I get to the top the squat wouldn't be complete unless I am standing as upright as possible?

Also you mention to keep elbows down and under the bar rather then pulling them back. I notice Rippetoe says to pull them back to create more of a muscle shelf but to me doing it the way you mentioned is far more comfortable.

How I am leading with my chest and my form is almost identical to this Mark Rippetoe video below. As you can see towards the end and some of his last squats he really lifts upright with leading from the chest. This is why I am confused.

Mark Rippetoe

Last edited:
Uppon, what is the reason you are squatting? (Your answer will affect where I direct you)

I guess I want to strengthen my legs and back and make them bigger. I find my knees buckling at the initial lift up out of the hole for a split second and then they go back out. I have dropped the weight now and it is not happening but I feel like I am not progressing :(

This is a great write up! Just a question. You say don't focus on pushing down with heels but rather focus on forcing the chest up and pushing the back into the bar. This comment is either being misinterpreted by myself, or I am still confused by what is correct. I have recently been accidentally doing this as I have increased the weight and was told not to do this by some other members. Is this comment supposed to be an action or a thought and should I be leading with my chest or simply pushing down on my heels to lift the weight forcing my thighs to take the load. At which point do I lead with the chest because I don't know when it would be too premature?

If on a slightly bent angle and doing a good morning I understand is not right, but it feels so natural to me to want to perform a very under exaggerated good morning while about 2/3 of the way up. I am still confused if I am doing it right or wrong because I was told to maintain the same back angle all the way up but if my back is on a slight angle once I get to the top the squat wouldn't be complete unless I am standing as upright as possible?

Also you mention to keep elbows down and under the bar rather then pulling them back. I notice Rippetoe says to pull them back to create more of a muscle shelf but to me doing it the way you mentioned is far more comfortable.

How I am leading with my chest and my form is almost identical to this Mark Rippetoe video below. As you can see towards the end and some of his last squats he really lifts upright with leading from the chest. This is why I am confused.

Mark Rippetoe

I stick my chest up and focus on my pelvis too I think 'proud' if that makes sense

Nice article. Squats are an excellent exercise. They are one of the best exercises for increasing strength and size, while simultaneously burning fat.
Thanks for the post. Very useful article for newbies.

I stick my chest up and focus on my pelvis too I think 'proud' if that makes sense
whoa yeah, that makes a lot of sense fm dreams!!!! ;)

But can you do a HD youtube demo on the pelvis bit, that's what I am working on too so I wanna check if I am doing it proper

I'm squatting differently this time around and it seems to be working so im not going to question it.
Using highbar bar placement, highbar stance, but lowbar form and flat shoes. I hit depth ok and the weight is going up each session. After quite a long hiatus i jsut started doing what felt natural. I think i have unusual proportions. (6'3 and most of it is torso)

I'm squatting differently this time around and it seems to be working so im not going to question it.
Using highbar bar placement, highbar stance, but lowbar form and flat shoes. I hit depth ok and the weight is going up each session. After quite a long hiatus i jsut started doing what felt natural. I think i have unusual proportions. (6'3 and most of it is torso)

Wingman, that's good, If you're biult like a duck you'll be able to squat deeper and more upright than a person with the opposite proportions.

How's your lumbar, or lower back holding out?
usually a bloke with your proportions needs to also find an exercise to strengthen the erectors.
well, that's what I reckon.

Funny you mention that. I get crippling lower back soreness straight after my set. But after i go and do a couple of other exercises its gone away.

Sounds quite similar to how I squat. It's also the way that felt 'natural' without consciously thinking of any training cues. I also keep arms fairly close to the shoulders as well.

Sounds quite similar to how I squat. It's also the way that felt 'natural' without consciously thinking of any training cues. I also keep arms fairly close to the shoulders as well.

The hand placement i use on squats is basically the same as my bench (my arm span is 6'4 and my height is 6'3) , that is with hands out near the rings in the knurling. Usually try to bring elbows down to activate lats.