• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I cant get my wrists straight though, I have to keep working on that.

I had a bit of a realisation tonight when I tried setting the bar on the set of hooks lower than the hooks I normally use, which meant the bar was just below nipple height rather than about 10cm above.

This meant I had to bend right down and get right under the bar and that my forearms were almost horizontal while I was getting set, and that I could position the bar as low on my back as I liked. It also meant my wrists weren't under the bar at all, and reminded me of the pics of the guys in the SS book.

It's hard to explain but I recommend trying it if you have flexibility issues with your shoulders or wrists. I think Ive always thought having it start up on the higher hooks would make it easier, but really it just made it more awkward.

You set the bar 10cm above nipple height?

It should be at mid sternum and you should have to dip a bit to unrack it.

T NATION | Goblet Squats 101

I started doing goblet squats about 8 years ago and it made some great changes to my squat, most importantly is it makes it obvious that for the squat to work you are actually required to let your body hang between the legs.

Been using goblet squats basically since I was employed by gyms. In fact I used it this morning, two guys in decent shape were half-squatting a single plate a side, I asked them what they were training for, did they have any injuries or issues, they wanted general fitness and no they were fine. They did the goblet squat, the plates came off, they squatted the bar, then 10kg jumps back up to 60kg. They found it very different.

Goblet squats are very very effective in teaching the squat. Very easy to tweak foot and elbow position to balance things out for a person's individual proportions. Once you have at the bottom of the squat,
  • weight through heels
  • knees out
  • chest up
everything else just goes into the right position. And then you just have to emphasise it's a normal movement, sitting down and standing up. Same with a dumbbell or barbell. Sit down, stand up. I focus on that because lots of people overthink it. It's not good to be thinking too much when you've got your bodyweight or more on the bar on your back.

In some cases the people are too deconditioned or inflexible to be able to make depth. So they start on a bench, no big deal.

Last edited:
Great read!

Question, is there any benefit or downfall from squating wide stance? I tried it for the first time the other day and it fell like it hit my legs alot more then a narrower stance. Dunno whether to continue with wide or stick with narrow.

how wide is wide and how narrow is narrow?

I think if you've always done narrow, doing wide for 6-8 weeks will be a good change and you may like it more. make sure you get those knees OUT.

how wide is wide and how narrow is narrow?

I think if you've always done narrow, doing wide for 6-8 weeks will be a good change and you may like it more. make sure you get those knees OUT.

Narrow = a lil bit more then shoulder width and wide = about a foot width out from my narrow stance.

When i try and do squats, my flexibility in the shoulders isn't there and im left to hold onto the actual plates while squating. i've tried the front squat but find it awkward to hold and my wrists hurt a bit. any advice on how to overcome, im left with doing lunges each time which is doing nothing for my strength training.

When i try and do squats, my flexibility in the shoulders isn't there and im left to hold onto the actual plates while squating. i've tried the front squat but find it awkward to hold and my wrists hurt a bit. any advice on how to overcome, im left with doing lunges each time which is doing nothing for my strength training.

More info about yourself please.

35 y/o?
Training history?
Shoulder injuries?

I had this problem and so did my husband when he started training squats.
Not sure of your history as LH requested, but I have done the simplest mobility exercises to free up my chest and shoulders (inability to hold the bar in a squat is not always due to shoulders).
Will try find vids of mobility exercises I use but prefer history as to not upset any old injuries.

Here's a few stretches....

Shoulder distractions
[YOUTUBE]RSE95NF4eVc[/YOUTUBE]

Shoulder Dislocations
[YOUTUBE]dNilld58tks[/YOUTUBE]

Doorway Stretches
[YOUTUBE]8RpyQMeXgFU[/YOUTUBE]

More info about yourself please.

35 y/o?
Training history?
Shoulder injuries?

29 Y/O
Training 9 months now
No shoulder injuries at all.

If i try and like force myself to hold the bar i end up feeling pain in my chest. Only way i can get it to look like i normal squat is to use figure 8 straps and position my hands in front of the bar which creates for a really awkward balancing act on my traps.

Will give the stretches a go beforehand and see if they make a big difference as well.

HeavyD