• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I've already decided I'll probably get some lifting shoes BUT of late I've been getting pain in my hip flexors (similar to vovo) so I was wondering a) any stretches etc to stop this and b) any stretches mobility work I should be doing in all 3 joints? (I have pretty stiff ankles for starters)

where in the knee is the dull ache? Inside? Under the kneecap? One of the tendons above or below the kneecap?

Generally speaking, the more knees forward position you adopt in the squat, the greater the sheer on your knees. Sitting back and driving with your hips, as opposed to just your knees, will reduce the strain on your knees. The other thing that will kill knees is letting the knees suddenly slide forward at the bottom of the squat. this is basically you relaxing your hamstrings so you can hit depth. Not only can it destabilise the knee, but by making the hamstrings slack you kill hip drive and reduce the amount of weight you can lift.

If you have these form issues, I would recommend getting some neoprene knee sleeves, which can often help with achy knees. Tommy Konos are excellent and cheap. You can get them from Spritcha on this forum.

Yeah the ache is just under the kneecaps. I might check out those wraps, cheers.

I've already decided I'll probably get some lifting shoes BUT of late I've been getting pain in my hip flexors (similar to vovo) so I was wondering a) any stretches etc to stop this and b) any stretches mobility work I should be doing in all 3 joints? (I have pretty stiff ankles for starters)

Hip flexor is a pretty general term. Iliacus, TFL, iliopsoas and rectus femoris all act as hip flexors. How you stretch or mobilise will depend on which one is sore. It's also important to strengthen the reciprocal muscle, as stretching only lengthens the muscle, it doesn't necessarily stop it from being irritated.

Really bad tendonitis in the hip flexors from squatting is often a sign of under-recruitment of glute and hamstring. You can also get it if you allow your knee to slide rapidly in the bottom 1/3 of the squat. Sliding knee relaxs the hamstring, and the rec fem pulls hard on the pelvis, producing tendonitis as the ASIS end of the muscle - which is felt as a strong burning pain in the crease at the front of your hips.

Squat properly by sitting back, actively pulling into the hole (rather than just passively resisting the weight, which stresses the hip flexors) and driving up with your hips will take the stress off the hip flexors, and strengthen the glute and ham. As the glute and ham get stronger, the hip flexors will lengthen and become less active, due to reciprocal inhibition.

:p

The cause of hip flexor pain from squatting is likely to be bad squatting.
The cure for the hip flexor pain from squatting is good squatting.

If the pain is stopping you from good squatting, how you deal with it depends on where it hurts.

Excellent.

My advice to most is; If you can't do a freehand squat, but you can squat under load, you've got problems.

The value of squatting comes from, actually squatting, not how much you can squat.

Exercise is all about building strength, not demonstrating it, this is where most sabotage a good template.

Cheers for the advice.

I think the problem is stemming from just dropping into the hole then bouncing out again.
Starting to piss me off a bit atm but ah well. That'll learn me :p

Think it will be box squats and squats from the pins til it settles down again

Just a quick question on wraps. What do they actually do? Are they there to simply support the knees, do they assist in lifting, are there any cons to wearing them?

My knees are still sore despite skipping squats my last two sessions and its really bothering me.

Cheers for the advice.

I think the problem is stemming from just dropping into the hole then bouncing out again.
Starting to piss me off a bit atm but ah well. That'll learn me :p

Think it will be box squats and squats from the pins til it settles down again

IMO box squats and pin squats will increase the strain on your hip flexors.

dropping into the hole and bouncing IS correct form, provided the drive is coming from your hammies and glutes. This will actually inhibit the hip flexors. If, however, your knees are sliding/slipping forward as you bounce, this is not good and may aggrivate from hip flexors (in particular rectus femoris, which is the deep central muscle of the quad, the only one which attaches to the hip). The drop shouldn't be a relaxed drop or loose, you need to be tight and activelly pull yourself down with your hammies.

Kez said:
Just a quick question on wraps. What do they actually do? Are they there to simply support the knees, do they assist in lifting, are there any cons to wearing them?

Knee wraps differ from knee sleeves. Knee sleeves are just a orthopedic sleeve usually made of neoprene and 4-7mm thick. They provide warmth and a bit of passive support, which often helps with sore knees. Tjey don't assist in lifting at all.

Knee wraps are 2-2.5m long polyster wraps which are done up very tight and actually assist in lifting. Although they started out as being designed to prevent knee injury, they can actually cause injuries is done up incorrectly, as they are tight enough to prevent the knee cap from moving naturally. If you make sure the knee is fully locked the entire time the knee wrap is done up, this usually makes sure the knee cap is in the right spot. Also, they allow you to lift more than you would otherwise be capable of, which can increase the risk of injury.

The only real downside though is that they are very uncomfortable and hurt a fair bit when done up properly...and if overused would prevent your knees from getting stronger naturally.

Hmmm might have to go get mine looked at because doing those 2 seems to be less stressful (could be because im only going to just parallel)
I'll see how I go and if it doesn't get better I shall see a physio or sports doc about it

Hamburgler, I was having a similar problem but Ive brought my stance in a bit and straightened up my feet a bit too. I found when I did a squat without the bar, at the bottom I could feel my hips almost dislocate (kind of) and that was when it hurt the most.

By bringing my feet no wider than shoulder width and feet to 30 degrees instead of 45, it feels a lot more natural when I get to the bottom.

I filmed myself so I'll post up the vid.

atm 80 x 3 from the side is going up, will do the one with 40kg where 5 are from the side and 5 front on. Can't believe how heavy that 80kg felt. My 10 rep max is 80+ and I've 20 repped 75 :(

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtPN-ftmxG8&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - Squat Set-up Tutorial[/ame]

The best tutorial I've seen in thirty years.

The only difference I noticed compared to SS/Rippetoe is Rippetoe says not to squeeze the bar and that the hands are merely pressing the bar against your back...or thats what I recall he says...

I cant get my wrists straight though, I have to keep working on that.

Nice tutorial.

I just realised I use a split stance when unracking the weight. Not any more.

i have never performed a barbell version of squat.

1/ should I start with an empty barbell?

2/ is barbell squat for me if i am training only for general fitness and not powerlifting or bodybuilding?

Empty bar?
Pffft no! Just load up 100kg and squat away

As for the second question - I have a saying
Lose weight? Squat more eat less
Gain weight? Squat more eat more