• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Shoulders and the different presses

Fadi

Okay, if you're a bodybuilder, choose the first one. If you're a MMA fighter, then choose the second one and imagine the ceiling is your opponent's face. If you're an Olympic weightlifter, you can do all of them.

[YOUTUBE]xLcntfkyXbM[/YOUTUBE]

Fadi.

Fadi,

Nice post. Clearly shows the different form for all three shoulder presses.

I note that the depth is all the way down to his chest. Is this normal? When doing Shoulder presses I normally only lower until my elbows are level with my shoulders or a bit lower then press up. i.e. Around eye or nose level with the bar in front of my face. He's lowering them way past horizontal and all the way down to his chest.

Cheers,
Mike

Great post Fadi, slowly building up a wealth of knowledge which is great. I have to ask as well, shoulder presses, should they be done to just before touching the chest. And seated or standing? Personally I occasionally include a couple of burn reps (elbows lowered to shoulder height or just below and up again) at the end of a set.

Gareer

Standing is best, though there is nothing wrong with seated.

I also like single DB standing press.

So do I Markos, I do like single hand presses.

Your upper arm must go all the way down, I mean- you put your hands in your pockets don't you? :)
the bar should end directly over the top of your head.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fadi if you have time can you describe how the different presses would effect on the 3 differnet sports

Okay, a bodybuilder is interested (or should be interested) in gaining muscles, so we give him the first press where it's all work work work on the shoulders/triceps with no "cheating" whatsoever (by using leg power as in press #2 & #3).

The MMA (or equivalent) fighter is after explosiveness whilst still working his shoulders, but without necessarily going for pure muscle activation as in press #1, hence we give him press #2 where he can generate some power.

#3 well, there's just too much leg drive and the dip takes whatever benefit press #2 has on offer for the upper body. #3 is pure lower body power with shoulders and arms being used as stabilisers. Have a look at your typical Olympic weightlifter, huge back, traps, and of course legs and glutes but not much in the way of arms and deltoids to speak about (in comparison to his huge parts that is).

Fadi.

Another thing to consider is caloric expenditure.

Press 3 uses the most calories, followed by # 2 and lastly # 1.

This is caused simply by the effort required.

Anyone looking to become an explosive field athlete would do well to master # 3, thats where its at.

All things being equal, the intensity of effort is higher in 1.
Then 2 then 3.

As far as " explosive "is concerned I'm a big believer in "practice" in that if you want to improve in a given sport you practice the skill over and over.
Exercise is perscribe as a form of injury prevention.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exercise is prescribed as a form of injury prevention.

hhhhmmm performance enhancement maybe?

Whilst I do agree that you need to go out and practice, practice, practice and get your skills up the above statement (it is good for injury prevention/rehab I am not doubting that) is bad. Added strength will increase power (along with a little specific training to promote this), more power increases your ability to run faster and jump higher this equals performance enhancement.

hhhhmmm performance enhancement maybe?

Whilst I do agree that you need to go out and practice, practice, practice and get your skills up the above statement (it is good for injury prevention/rehab I am not doubting that) is bad. Added strength will increase power (along with a little specific training to promote this), more power increases your ability to run faster and jump higher this equals performance enhancement.

Dave;

There are many by-products resulting from exercise.

Safety is key...work hard work safe.
We can have many injuries throughout our lives - but only so many recoveries.

Hey silverback from memory you had a few issues with the bench press - i know that you currently dont do them in your home gym.

I was wondering if you suffered any injuries from pressing in the past?

Hey silverback from memory you had a few issues with the bench press - i know that you currently dont do them in your home gym.

I was wondering if you suffered any injuries from pressing in the past?

O.
I've had no issues with the bench-press in terms of injury.

My main pushing moves are BB & DB presses, PPB dips, bench press on Saturday using Hammer.

I don't feel the need to (for Me) to focus on the exercise.

I should start a log here shouldn't I.

Added strength will increase power (along with a little specific training to promote this), more power increases your ability to run faster and jump higher this equals performance enhancement.

Dave, I agree with you that added strength helps when it comes to power, however I find it's in the way you acquire that strength that matters sometimes.

Take for example the American powerlifter turned weightlifter for the 2004 Athens Olympics; Shane Hamman. This athlete is one of if not the strongest squatter on this planet, what with numbers like 457.5kg squat! Yet this same man ended up 7th overall at the super heavyweight class at the 2004 Olympics.
04_titan_weight-lifting_spolight%200028.jpg

hamman+4.jpg

In comparison, the Legend lifter Hossein Rezazadeh's best squats are front 280kg and back 340kg (which are a far cry from Shane's 457.5kg). Yet the man can generate so much power to make one think that the weights are made up of paper! Strength is good as well as essential it goes without saying, but as I've said, it's in the way one acquires this strength that really counts.

Unfortunately I unintentially upset a powerlifter when he asked me about my training and my dead lifting. I told him that there was no room for deadlifting in the house of weightlifting period. I didn't just say that and walk away, but I did give him a full explanation for my reasoning (to no avail). My logic was that although a dead lift does make someone very strong off the floor, it does nothing to teach the nervous system to be explosive. On the contrary, there’s absolutely nothing powerful about a 1000kg dead lift since no powerlifting judge is ever going to put a time restriction on that powerlifter as he moves that ton off the ground. Weightlifters need speed, and speed can only be generated when the appropriate weight is placed onto the bar. For an aspiring weightlifter who wishes to increase his power off the floor, a clean or snatch pull that is about 20% above what one can lift overhead is optimal to cover increases in strength whilst still maintaining maximum (or near maximum) power.

hossein.jpg

Dave, if I somehow misunderstood what you were saying, then I'm sorry mate. Let me know either way, thank you brother.

Fadi.

Last edited:
That was a good explanation Fadi but that was kind of what this meant (without going into any details or anything)

along with a little specific training to promote this

But all in all I really liked the explanation and it goes along with how I would train athletes were power is the main important point.

blbarclay, I think Andy meant a Hammer machine... though I could be wrong.

You do what you can to lift something over your head, but for sake of the exercise, you have let's say- 25kg and you are told to lift it over your head.
which movement would be hardest?
Which one easiest?
Which movement safest?
Which movement targets the muscleture it's intended for most effectively?
Posted via Mobile Device