• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rugby88

I have Ep1c Calendar kunce
Link to excel sheets
http://medlem.spray.se/damienthorne/Sheiko.htm

Yo a few ppl have asked me about Sheiko and how I run the programs etc etc - So I thought I would just post up a thread.

Now what I will normally do is run #29, then #37 - and then have a deload week.

I feel that #29 is a good program to run off if your a beginner after something like 5 x 5 - that is a normal progression I will have for a beginner - 5 x 5, #29 (sometimes lower the volume/if so I may run a full 29 plan straight after the low volume 29 and then seeing how the person is going I will run #37 for them)

Now for someone just starting out on the programs the only thing I will change is some of the volume - I will NOT change any of the exercises at all. If its someone who is a competitive PLer then I may work into the program some exercises that will be more focused on weakness - i.e For Matt Middleton leading upto the nationals I have him running a variation of Sheiko but I have added board pressing into the day 1 training and also speed bench into Day 3 - sometimes he may do speed pulls instead but maybe only once during a 4 week training cycle.

We just finished #29 and running onto 37 now - I have also changed the accessories abit and added in abit more rear delt/delt work.

Also mate will do some GPP (prowler) on Saturday (weights - Mon,Wed,Fri)

What I have done with his comp prep is deload after every 4 week training cycle just so we have no chance of over-training - the basic breakdown has been this:

- Albury comp
- Week off
- #29 - 4 weeks
- Deload
- #37 - 4 weeks
- Deload
- 5 week prep program

Iam using the 5 week prep program for Matt this time because Blake used it leading upto Albury and I felt it brought Blake in fresh/strong and ready to go - the volume will drop of course during the prep program - and again I will decide what/if anything will change during the 5 weeks leading upto the nationals.

Matt isn't the only person running Sheiko - I have acouple of other guys running variations of it atm!

Some of the results after 4 weeks:

Albury comp squat: 210kgs - Matt did 6 reps with 200kgs the other night.

Albury comp bench: 130kgs - Matt did 140 x 3 last night.

Albury comp deadlift: 260 - 250 x 3 last week.

Pleased with everyones results!

Here are the programs if anyone is keen:

#29 - THE PROVISIONAL MONTHLY PLAN - 1

#37 - Sheiko 37

5 week prep program - 5 week Comp cycle

Last edited by a moderator:
i did a 5 week comp prep program just finished a couple weeks ago and i made some gains on it and now feel the strongest ive ever felt. It seems like a lot of work and it was at frist but got used to it and i reckon they are pretty good.

why do you think skeiko works so well?

i heard that the workouts take a long time?

thanks for posting this thread as well. its good to hear about different programs.

Basically Sheiko works so well as it was researched and tested on 0000's of Russian athletes...

The research found that for most beginner and intermediate lifters the most effective way of building strength is through building volume. Volume will build muscular strength, but most importantly it will reinforce the motor patterns, building neural efficiency and technical excellence. It is here that lifters will build the greatest gains initially. The anecdote used is that of a new lifter. A newbie to the gym will experience incredible strength gains in the first 6-8 weeks of training. Many believe that this is due to muscular growth prompted by new stimulus. While muscular growth occurs, the research (muscle biopsy, for example) showed that it was not as significant as many assumed. The major gains are made through building motor patterns which increase neural/muscular efficiency, which results in greater power output.

The realization that follows is that training the movement can be more productive than training the muscles- by this I mean an emphasis on the powerlifting movements, instead of focusing on muscle groups will prioritize what builds optimal strength.

why do you think skeiko works so well?

i heard that the workouts take a long time?

thanks for posting this thread as well. its good to hear about different programs.

I can't pin point why its so good - but I think the mix of volume + smashing squat/bench/dead nearly every session has something to do with it lol - thats a very simple way of looking at it but I feel they are the 2 key areas of the program.

The workouts normally take anywhere from 1 hour/15 mins - 1 hour/30 mins - of course you don't want to smash through it - you need your recovery time - but if your focused and in the gym to train then normally takes about the times above.

All good mate!

The workouts normally take anywhere from 1 hour/15 mins - 1 hour/30 mins - of course you don't want to smash through it - you need your recovery time - but if your focused and in the gym to train then normally takes about the times above.

All good mate!

That's RAW times...with equipment it can take anywhere from 2.5 - 3hrs

Hey mate - just wondering why feet in the air?

Sometimes I will cut the lunges out and add in box jumps - depending on the person.

Sheikos work is very interesting, I have always thought motor learning is crucial even for max effort lifts and the westside template of changing the main exercise so frequently and not doing the main lift that often was taking away from that. Though at elite levels I suppose the potential to improve your technique is limited but it still happens it just needs more work. Since I have not had the method explained to me by Louie he could believe you get more benefit from weakness training than motor learning at such a world class level.

What's the reasoning for a lot of partial
deads in the program over the full movement?
Posted via Mobile Device

how would you lower the volume?

i realise that it might be too much to write so just a general statement. or maybe there is a write up for a lower volume one?

how would you lower the volume?

i realise that it might be too much to write so just a general statement. or maybe there is a write up for a lower volume one?

This is an example of what I will do - this has just been taken from #29 Day 1:

Normal program/volume:

Monday
Bench
50% 5x1, 60% 4x2, 70% 3x2, 75% 3x5
Squat
50% 5x1, 60% 5x2, 70% 5x5
Bench
50% 5x1, 60% 5x1, 70% 4x4
Flies
10x5
Good mornings
5x5

Changed/lower volume:

Monday
Bench
50% 5x1, 60% 4x1, 70% 3x1, 75% 3x3

Squat
50% 5x1, 60% 5x1, 70% 5x3

Bench
50% 5x1, 60% 5x1, 70% 4x2

Flies
10x3

Good mornings
5x5

Etc etc - Changes are in BOLD

Now some ppl change the %'s, some ppl will change the whole breakdown of sets/reps - Normally all i'll do is just knock off a few sets.

What I would like to point out that is REALLY important and some ppl have been caught out with this - All sheiko SETS/REPS are written backwards -

I.E

Bench

50% 5x1, 60% 4x2, 70% 3x2, 75% 3x5

= 1 x 5 @ 50%, 2 x 4 @ 60%, 2 x 3 @ 70%, 5 x 3 @ 75%

Anything else that may have been contributing to that huge strength increase at such a light BW joel?

Anything else that may have been contributing to that huge strength increase at such a light BW joel?

If anything mate I would say hes eating - very strict with his eating - ALOT ALOT of red meat, 1kg + a day.

+ this is the 1st time Matt has ever had a structured training planning - last yr he was 90kgs + and pretty much training like a bodybuilder with a mix a max effort - hes best lifts at 90kg in comp was
260(with knee wraps)/160/285 and I honestly think now with have structured things more and he diet is cleaner the gains are coming faster - training weight Matt normally sits around 80-82kgs - his comp weight will be 72-75kgs.

We are hoping to go something like so at nationals -
230-240 (no knee wraps)/150-160/270-280 in the 75's

To further add to Joels comments, becoming more efficient at the lifts adds to your total quickly as well..for example when I started focussing on the powerlifts I had ok strength and ok form, my raw lifts were 212.5/140/220 and bw around 92kgs (from memory) following my first sheiko prep cycle my lifts were 240/155/255 and BW 0f 96kgs.

For a long time now I"ve watched a lot of a lot of people writing about how great Sheiko is. Although i've not tried it, based on reviews & the basic template, i'd encourage #27 to a newer person to strength training.

There's somethin' i don't understand though. What role do lunges, flyes & abdominal training play ? Is it a bit of variety? For the purpose of mainly hypertrophy, or something else?

matts putting his success down to food intake, said he hasnt missed a meal and is eating lots.. smashes the red meat!

matts putting his success down to food intake, said he hasnt missed a meal and is eating lots.. smashes the red meat!

This is correct - hes like a bodybuilder when it comes to food lol.

Think he ate about 3kgs of steak on Origin night lol.

In regards to the flys, Lunges and ab work - As Macmad said - flys are a stretching movement - they are to be done light. Lunges - I have also heard the same as Macmad said, abs will only be done a few times during the training cycle - I think its also good to do some direct ab work within your training - even tho your hitting the compounds hard every session.