• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I just did my first Sheiko workout, it wasn't too long. Set my bench max at 140 (best recent is 135tng or 120x4) and tried to race through all the sets with 60 second breaks, ended up missing 1 rep.

Where it says "Chest - 4x6" is that supposed to be heavy? I did fairly heavy dumbell flyes with pauses at the bottom.

Are you supposed to warm up for squats before bench? I realised I was freezing going into squats and that it would be 30 minutes before I got to the second lot of bench sets, so I tacked the squats on the end and just did lots of warm ups with 30kg for 10 minutes (in between the two lots of bench sets).

After I added some sets of weighted chins. I intend to do more chins Wednesday, and hit rows pretty hard Friday. It's only specified to do 'lats' on Friday, but that doesnt seem like enough given my shitty deadlift. I'll also do some lateral raises and band pulls later.

I just did my first Sheiko workout, it wasn't too long. Set my bench max at 140 (best recent is 135tng or 120x4) and tried to race through all the sets with 60 second breaks, ended up missing 1 rep.

Where it says "Chest - 4x6" is that supposed to be heavy? I did fairly heavy dumbell flyes with pauses at the bottom.

Are you supposed to warm up for squats before bench? I realised I was freezing going into squats and that it would be 30 minutes before I got to the second lot of bench sets, so I tacked the squats on the end and just did lots of warm ups with 30kg for 10 minutes (in between the two lots of bench sets).

After I added some sets of weighted chins. I intend to do more chins Wednesday, and hit rows pretty hard Friday. It's only specified to do 'lats' on Friday, but that doesnt seem like enough given my shitty deadlift. I'll also do some lateral raises and band pulls later.

The chest exercises are just to get the blood flowing and stretch out the pecs. I use 10kg dumbbells for this but 4 sets of 8 or 5 sets of 10
Not sure about what you mean regarding the warm-up for squats before bench... should be plenty of warm-ups in there. Super set all you like, it's such a minutia lol just get the work in

Lat exercises focus on horizontal pulling but without loading the lower back. I fucking hate chest supported rows quite honestly so I "invented" a type of pulldown that turns into a row. I also like a dumbbell row called "bat wings". Both you can see examples of here:

Im guessing you're doing the amended over 80kg program?

I just do dumbell presses on the chest exercises for the 6 rep sets and dumbell flys for the 10 rep sets on "chest muscle exercise".

Not heavy, should have 2-3 reps in the tank.

Thanks for the advice.

I am doing the amended over 80kg program. I might switch to dumbell bench then with 40s or something. From memory 40s are light, 50s are heavy for me. Might even use 35s.

What I meant with squats was they felt like they were going to take ages. The program goes

Bench
Squats
Bench
Other stuff

For monday so between the two bench parts it felt like it would have been too long. Hence why I thought warming up legs before the first bench 'marathon' would be the go.

Those batwings look interesting. I'll see if I can add em in somewhere....

Check out the new variations of 37, 30, 31 and 32 posted there. Essentially, for under 80kg lifters, Boris suggests running 37, a modified version of 30, 32 in sequence. For over 80kg lifters it gets interesting. He has posted a modified version of 37, 31 and 32. It is much lower volume, less warmup reps and sets and not many double squat days. It looks a lot more streamlined. Deadlift in particular is lower volume. The skills test is also spread out over 2 days. The justification for all of this is that heavier guys can't handle the same volume as lighter guys and need more recovery. That makes sense and matches what I have experienced myself and heard from other people who have trained using the traditional internet templates. In particular I always did better on lower volume/higher intensity deadlift than what the old 37 template had.

I had the same experience after I switched to the Fedorenko cycle though the volume was far higher. I <3 triples and doubles...

Is there anything mentioned on adjustments for sumo deadlifts? As in the reps are comparitively easier in lower percentages then conventional deadlifts.
[MENTION=5361]Bench Polkov[/MENTION];

@Oni;

Last edited:
Is there anything mentioned on adjustments for sumo deadlifts? As in the reps are comparitively easier in lower percentages then conventional deadlifts.
@Bench Polkov ;

@Oni;

You won't need to adjust anything
But any deficit pulls you do conventional stance. Also you'll see sometimes there will be block pulls at 100% for doubles, no way in hell you'll be able to do that conventionally- these cycles are made for sumo deadlifters

You won't need to adjust anything
But any deficit pulls you do conventional stance. Also you'll see sometimes there will be block pulls at 100% for doubles, no way in hell you'll be able to do that conventionally- these cycles are made for sumo deadlifters

Actually you're meant to do the deficits sumo as well if you follow Sheiko directly.

I want to add some more delt assistance to Sheiko, just to try and maintain my overhead press strength. I'm thinking of just doing 3 sets of military press of a fairly heavy weight for as many reps as I can on Friday - like 65kgx8,7,6. I doubt laterals would help at all.

Would this be a bad idea? He has prescribed assistance that seems random but perhaps nothing in this routine is random? Would I screw it up by doing the above?

Last edited:
How do you guys do your bench reps?
Do you pause every single one?
Do you let the bar sink a bit lower for lighter reps?
Do you pause it longer when it's lighter?
Do you only use a 'big arch' for heavy heavy sets?

Some of the reps I got coming in week 3 of 37#2 look heavy. Probably fine though so long as I use a big arch, leg drive a lot and don't let the bar sink in too much to my gut (easier to hold it just touching, as it reduces ROM).

I did use an inflated max as others did if I didnt they'd all be very light.

I always did it the same way every time, pausing every rep
My bench sucks though
So that's that

I treat ever rep, warm-ups and all, as a competition lift. Practice makes perfect. Boris recommends at least pausing the first rep of every set. Arch-wise mine tightens up the heavier the bar gets. If you're still learning and developing your technique I'd recommend treating every rep as a comp rep too.

If future sets look too heavy you should drop your max. You should not be maxing out each set.

You should not be maxing out each set.
You should _always_ have a rep left in the tank? I thought I'd seen you do some fuckin heavy looking doubles as part of Sheiko so I thought they were meant to be hard.
I've also seen others doing the squats and the reps they did didn't look like they had much more left in the tank.

My best bench with 120kg recently is 120x4 (about 2 weeks ago, tried for a laugh, touch and go). Sheiko has 119x2 next week for me, which will be hard paused. I think I can do em though, but it won't be 119x3.

You should _always_ have a rep left in the tank? I thought I'd seen you do some fuckin heavy looking doubles as part of Sheiko so I thought they were meant to be hard.
I've also seen others doing the squats and the reps they did didn't look like they had much more left in the tank.

My best bench with 120kg recently is 120x4 (about 2 weeks ago, tried for a laugh, touch and go). Sheiko has 119x2 next week for me, which will be hard paused. I think I can do em though, but it won't be 119x3.

Another piece of advice. Don't do what I do. I'm suicidal. Most of the time I stick to my set weights but every now and again I go a bit nuts.