• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I dont get all you guys wanting to use a 1rm based program but not actually doing 1rm's.

The whole point of the program is working around a 1rm to attain a higher 1rm.

I know this might be hard to accept but at some stage you may actually have to do a proper max.

I dont get all you guys wanting to use a 1rm based program but not actually doing 1rm's.

The whole point of the program is working around a 1rm to attain a higher 1rm.

I know this might be hard to accept but at some stage you may actually have to do a proper max.

I have to totally agree with this - just plan to work up to a 1rm and then base your training cycle off that.

Don't do a 3rm, 5rm 20rm - just get in the gym and max out.

Or, if you failed maths at school, simply f u c k i n g load 100kg on the bar and see if you can bench it.

This is cut n paste from powerhouse right?
Basically Sheiko works so well as it was researched and tested on 0000's of Russian athletes...

The research found that for most beginner and intermediate lifters the most effective way of building strength is through building volume. Volume will build muscular strength, but most importantly it will reinforce the motor patterns, building neural efficiency and technical excellence. It is here that lifters will build the greatest gains initially. The anecdote used is that of a new lifter. A newbie to the gym will experience incredible strength gains in the first 6-8 weeks of training. Many believe that this is due to muscular growth prompted by new stimulus. While muscular growth occurs, the research (muscle biopsy, for example) showed that it was not as significant as many assumed. The major gains are made through building motor patterns which increase neural/muscular efficiency, which results in greater power output.

The realization that follows is that training the movement can be more productive than training the muscles- by this I mean an emphasis on the powerlifting movements, instead of focusing on muscle groups will prioritize what builds optimal strength.

Posted via Mobile Device

Or, if you failed maths at school, simply f u c k i n g load 100kg on the bar and see if you can bench it.

I like this aswell,

Think about it before you get there, plan your training, and ,meals etc, when you get to the gym realease your inner cave man..

Those calculators can be pretty close but usually give inconsistant results.) Nothing compares to actually feeling the weight on your body.

This is cut n paste from powerhouse right?

Posted via Mobile Device

True a newby will experience the really good strenghth gains simply by getting all the muscle they already have to work as a common force. By doing repetition exercises they not only teach the body the pathway or movement, but it also teaches the body to fire all the nerves in a coordinated fasion, The more muscle fibres that are triggered at the same time the stronger that muscle gets...

It is also the reason people tend to plateau, after a few months of lifting, NOW they actually have to stimilate the body to change by building muscle, by lifting heavy stuff. Basically... (FAdi did a good post on the different training types of training and the muscle growth that is produced)

yeah- sheiko is all about balancing the benefits of specificity (movements) with variation (which provides the keeps challenging the system). The Russians tend to see the plateau as the result of insufficient challenge to the system- the body adapts to simulation and the same loading/movement becomes less effective. Variation comes in the form of changing loads and volume- each session prepares a lifter for what is to come- but the whole cycle is designed to produce a well timed strength peak.

One thing to note is that not all templates treat all lifts the same. 37 is generally considered the most 'balanced' intro prep cycle- but you'll note it really has a squat and bench focus. 29 is generally considered to offer more for the deadlift, but less for bench.
Top Russian athletes generally don't run one prep then one peaking cycle- they run 12 week blocks (prep + prep+ comp). They have templates that are designed to lay the foundation for competition- like 'off season' blocks- these tend to have higher rep ranges and build work capacity and condition. The numbers attached to these templates, like 29, 30, 31- were not on the original Russian versions, but were added in English translation- I think by Eric Talmant.

6th week of our variation of sheiko - Matt Squatted 220 x 6 (could of prob done 10) with knee wraps.

Most of the guys will do abit of a deload next week because alot have decided to do a local Powerlifting comp.

Also last night Big Blake smashed a 200 dead (Been doing Markos PPP program), and big Simon after being half dead and injured for the last 1,000 yrs just walked up to the 200 no warm up and smoked it aswell lol - I must add though Blake is maybe 69-70kgs atm and Simon is like 115 prob.

Thats brilliant news for Blake, hopefully he'll take his deadlift record back from Morgan who pulled 193.5kg @ 67.5 in WA.

Hows Blueys vagina?

Yea mate he will destory that - big numbers next saturday at the local comp!!!

Simon is good lol - smashing the safety squat bar.

quick question.

how should i approach doing sheiko. do i do 29 with my current maxes, then when i finish that do i up my maxes for the next cycle or....?

i just dont get how you progress. Edit: mainly for a beginner intermediate.

i know the idea is that you do two prep cycles then the comp one but i think ill increase my max pretty quickly and the next few cycles may not be challenging enough.

how do you run it with your clients powersports? say if things are getting to easy and they could do more

Last edited:
29 is a prep cycle- after a prep cycle you need to run a comp cycle

@Haz The idea is generally to run prep/prep/comp that being said my first Sheiko program was 29 solo then tested my 1RM's without running a comp cycle as I didn't have a comp cycle at the time.

There is much science behind how strength is built when running Sheiko programming and bongo will be able to articulate it better than I. All I can tell you that from experience it works and works well the catch is you need the time to burn in the gym which ATM I do not. I will however be running a jonnie modified Sheiko comp cycle from now into the nationals.

i have been running #29 for bench for the last 4 weeks. and i tested my 1rm today and hit 115kg a 5kg pb. very happy. now i just need to pause it.

there is 8 weeks until the Sydney comp and my plan is to do 29# for squats and bench and probably 5/3/1 on deads or some linear reps. after that ill do 32 to peak for the comp.

im unsure on the way the deadlift is set out for sheiko, i tried it once and i hated doing the deadlift to knees and rack pulls. plus the volume is pretty high. also i find that if my squat goes up me dead goes up by 2-3 times more.

any thoughts on doing 32?

i have been running #29 for bench for the last 4 weeks. and i tested my 1rm today and hit 115kg a 5kg pb. very happy. now i just need to pause it.

there is 8 weeks until the Sydney comp and my plan is to do 29# for squats and bench and probably 5/3/1 on deads or some linear reps. after that ill do 32 to peak for the comp.

im unsure on the way the deadlift is set out for sheiko, i tried it once and i hated doing the deadlift to knees and rack pulls. plus the volume is pretty high. also i find that if my squat goes up me dead goes up by 2-3 times more.

any thoughts on doing 32?
29 isn't the best prep cycle if run by itself- in my opinion. Also- why 5/3/1 on deadlifts??? There is a common misconception that deadlift to the knees is simply a pull to the knee- is this what you have been doing? The correct movement is a pull to the knee, a significant pause, then you complete the lift to lockout. I find it an awesome exercise.

Last edited:
29 isn't the best prep cycle if run by itself- in my opinion. Also- why 5/3/1 on deadlifts??? There is a common misconception that deadlift to the knees is simply a pull to the knee- is this what you have been doing? The correct movement is a pull to the knee, a significant pause, then you complete the lift to lockout. I find it an awesome exercise.

what would you suggest instead of 29?

i did not know that pull to the knee finished with a full extension, i may try it again.
yeh i've been doing 531 for the last 8 weeks and its going alright. i just like getting the reps in and it doesn't cause too much fatigue or soreness.