• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Worried about Powerlifting for Bodybuilding

MikeW

Guys,

Enjoying doing my powelifting PPP programme at the moment, just set a 140kg dead 1rm on Saturday, but am a bit worried about the end product it will produce. A couple of mates have warned it will pop my rib cage and give me that fat trunk look which I don't like. I'm lifting for bodybuilding reasons, not to be the biggest lifter in the gym. I want to keep a 75cm waist but have huge legs and a huge upper body with wide lats and big guns/shoulders.

Just wondering whether doing 1rm work is the right way to build the bodybuilding foundation or whether I should stick with higher reps on bodypart splits and just sort out my diet and workout discipline.

To me a super defined 6-pack is far more important than a 200kg deadlift.

But if I'm wrong and this powerlifting stuff is critical to build the platform then I'll shut up and get on with it. Just don't want a thick trunk

For context, Serge Nubret/Flex Wheeler = What I aspire too.

beeg11405.jpg

Dorian Yates = Not what I want...

dorian_yates_front_double_biceps.jpg

And for those into lifting for powerlifting's sake then don't take this the wrong way. We all have our own goals and mine is more about body sculpting than olympic powerlifting. But if I run straight to a cutting routine then I won't have anything to show underneath until I get some bulk "the right way" first.

Am I on the right path to build a base?

Cheers,
Mike

Am I on the right path to build a base?

Yes.

Vince Gironda didn't like his people squatting or dead-lifting for this reason.

I do think bone structure is critical in this case.
If your shoulder is broad and hip narrow, legs short and torso long you will have a good start, remembering you can't make goats piss out of gasoline.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Vince Gironda didn't like his people squatting or dead-lifting for this reason.
Spot on...

Vince Gironda’s Bodybuilding for Beginners | Iron Man Magazine | www.ironmanmagazine.com

Vince Girondas said:
Vince was also a proponent of body sculpting, not pounding the muscles with tendon-jarring powerlifting moves. In fact, there were no squat racks in his gym, no deadlift platforms and trainees were instructed to do bench presses to the neck on a Smith machine’slowly. Once again, it was all about getting in touch with the target muscle.

But that was only one opinion amongst many. If the consensus is that starting with the big compounds in this low rep range is a good way to go for bodybuilding then I'll stick with it. I am enjoying the lifting and seeing some bodyshape transformation happening which is all good. At some point I'll need to transition to more targeted higher rep work, but happy for that to be a year or two off if appropriate.

I want to compete in Bodybuilding comps, not lifting ones. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

I came here expecting pictures of fat powerlifters but instead I get a bunch of bodybuilding pros who got that way doing bodybuilding routines with a ****load of GH.

Squat, bench, dead will/should be the foundation of any program.

At the end of the day if you wanna be a bodybuilder follow a "bodybuilding" program if you wanna be a powerlifter be a powerlifter.

Mike, to better seek answers, post up pics of your body now and time spent lifting.

Dorian won Mr Olympia around 12 years after starting, from scratch to the best in 12 years.

Few of us will ever look like anyone in those pics without the aid of Vitamin T.

Instead of trying to emulate a "type", just become the best you can.

If you want pics of lifters with TINY waists that squat 4 x bodyweight, just google the lightweight Olympic lifters.

11.jpg

Last edited:
What happened??
Nothing mate, just calibrating. FWIW, I just did my 140kg 1rm dead on Saturday and it felt great. I reckon I could squeeze out a 150kg next Saturday if I psyched for it and then take a run at 160kg on the PPP programme. I'm currently targeting a 90kg bench, 130kg squat and 150kg dead. For an old fart like me, that would be a happy achievement before my 40th Birthday in September. Yes, 40 people, that's twice the age of some of the lifters on here! :D

Markos nailed it for me with his comments above and shots of those Olympic lifters. I figured I was on the right path, just d!ckheads talking sh!t getting in my ear.

I feel stronger than I have in a long time right now. Feels awesome. Actually can't wait to get back into the gym again tomorrow for squats and legs.

Thanks guys.

Cheers,
Mike

I figured I was on the right path, just d!ckheads talking sh!t getting in my ear.

Since I started lifting, my mates and guys at the gym who are weaker than me and/or train incorrectly for years keep telling me that I'm doing it wrong. I know they don't know what the hell they're on about so I just smile and ignore them. I'll let my results shut them up.... well it works for most, some won't shut up regardless. :)

Just the other day, a mate, who's been working out with a PT for a while and apparently knows everything about lifting & bodybuilding now, told me that I look like I bench press way too much (wide, thick shoulders & chest) and that I should do some reverse pec dec to balance it out. Laughable, especially since the BP is my least favourite exercise and I hardly do it (if it weren't part of the powerlifts, I wouldn't bother).

Btw the lightweight powerlifters look almost as impressive as the equivalent Olympic weightlifters.

Here are some pics of physiques built from powerlifting.

A few weeks dieting and they end up looking like this.

Dont be scared of getting strong.

Dave Tate.
dave-bathroom.jpg

Matt Kroc
16gzyp0.jpg

Dave Guttledge
.1122151094030.DSCN0115.JPG

Franco Columbo
franco.jpg

I came here expecting pictures of fat powerlifters but instead I get a bunch of bodybuilding pros who got that way doing bodybuilding routines with a ****load of GH.

EDIT: Realised you realised your mates are idiots,, mabe they are jealous of you..

Keep it up you are doing it right like nick said look at franco and arnold

Maybe watch pumping iron..

Last edited:

Dave Tate.
dave-bathroom.jpg

Matt Kroc
16gzyp0.jpg

Dave Guttledge
.1122151094030.DSCN0115.JPG

Franco Columbo
franco.jpg
yes they are impressive but with the use of (as Markos puts it) Vitamin T even powerlifters build muscle.

Nick,

You rock! Thanks mate, I'm now 100% sold on powerlifting to build some size. I've plataeud before and am sick of hitting the same max lifts for so long. Time to break the paradigm and double my lifts. Off a 75kg bench, that's doable.

Can't wait to get into the gym this afternoon now.

Oh, BTW, my missus was completely unimpressed with my new 1rm deadlift. She is happy for me but really doesn't care. Its a good thing I've got this team here at AusBB or I'd be psyching myself 100% to hit new highs as the crowd at FF certainly don't inspire. From another thread, the "atmosphere" where I workout sucks and my wife couldn't give two hoots. The mental side is half the game and I'm so stoked I found this board.

Cheers,
Mike