• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Basics, basics basics...

You need to work your lower body with a compound squatting exercise.

You need to work your lower body with a compound pulling exercise.

You need to work your upper body with a compound pressing exercise.

You need to work you upper body with a compound pulling exercise.

You want to get a little more detailed?
Lower body: vertical push, vertical pull. (squat/dead lift)
Upper body: vertical push, vertical pull. (press/chin)
Upper body: horizontal push, horizontal pull. (bench/row)

Putting this in to a workout format:
Day 1
Press
Squat
Row

Day 2
Bench Press
Dead Lift
Pull-up

Don't have access to a pull-up bar? Substitute curls for pull-ups.

Rep range? Let it rip.
First go around 1-2 x 20 for lower body stuff. 2-3 x 8-10 for upper body.

Then go to 5 x 5.

Feeling frisky? Get serious and go 3 x 5, 5 x 3.

I know that this is pretty basic, and that's because lifting weights is.

A full body format is better organised around a squat, a press and a pull from the floor, and when we deadlift in a full body routine we do 1x5 so we don't get fried by the volume. Otherwise this isnt too bad.

You guys should pick up a copy of rippetoes work, considering he's at the forefront of this and all...

I wrote that in a forum in 2001!

I do have a supplemental list of of secondary exercises that I do, but I let slide if I'm tired. The list includes neck stuff, calf raises, grip work, L-flyes, Farmer's walk, dumbbell junk, and lately dead lifts from blocks. Those supplemental exercises are not that important (to me) overall, and can lead to overwork (for me) if I don't watch it.

Wish I knew this 19 years ago.

I wasted so much effort into islations it wasn't funny.

Hours of curling, flyes, cable work..continuous stressing of the muscle without adequate recovery and nutrition.

Nice thread. Keep it simple.

I'd keep it simpler still. Legs, push, pull.

My instinct is that it could be even simpler, there are plenty of exercises where we do a deep knee-bend, then pick something heavy up off the ground, then put it overhead - or two of those three. But I've not the experience to back that instinct up, perhaps I can use some clients as my guinea pigs :p

now that's some damn sound good advice!!! Keep it bloody simple.

From experience, the push/pull system is one of the most effective systems of training

Been training 19 years Shrek? Nice work.
Thanks.
The first 2-3 years were pretty consistant even though I did not train smart.
The next few were all over the place, just really getting into good consistancy again.

Cheers.

Thanks.
The first 2-3 years were pretty consistant even though I did not train smart.
The next few were all over the place, just really getting into good consistancy again.

Cheers.

I know you train for size and not for strength. Just out of curiosity, what are your best lifts?

Hope im still there at 50, What am i sayign 50 isnt even old man you have years left in the tank! keep it up and like you said keep it simple...

I'm still a pup noobs, there are blokes older than me, there the ones I've listened to.
I'll keep lifting.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know you train for size and not for strength. Just out of curiosity, what are your best lifts?
I have never tried a rep rep max on any lift, but when doing Madcos 5x5 I remember I got 140 or 150x5 on the squat 5 or 6 years ago. I'll try to dig out my old training diary and have a look.

I have never tried a rep rep max on any lift, but when doing Madcos 5x5 I remember I got 140 or 150x5 on the squat 5 or 6 years ago. I'll try to dig out my old training diary and have a look.

Should hit a session together for some 1rms..

Sure. Not right now though because I'm still in calorie deficit and not really gaining strength, but once I start in cal surplus and hit PTC's PPP, we can.