• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

A crash course on how to prep for WA Open... in 38 hours!

It was a last minute decision to enter, they werent even thinking about weight. They had a sauna regardless then ate and drank up big.

Both Dan and Paulie hit PB's, thats an excellent result in their first ever comp. They have only just started lifting.

Dan

Weight - 77.2kg

Squat
130kg (three white lights)
140kg (three white lights) - Equal PB
150kg (FAIL)

Bench
95kg (three white lights)
105kg (FAIL)
105kg three white lights) - Equal PB

Deadlift
140kg (three white lights)
150kg (three white lights)
160kg (three white lights) - PB

405kg total

Paul

Weight - 83.9kg

Squat
130kg (three white lights)

Bench
100kg (three white lights)
110kg (three white lights)
115kg - Fail (spotted a bit early IMO)

Deadlift
165kg - Fail (was farked)

410kg total

Woke up this morning nervous as hell, didn't feel like getting out of bed...
Had 5 weetbix and milk at 9am, probably not the best breakfast :p
I also fibbed to my parents, i told them was i going to a 'party' as I was pretty sure they wouldn't be too keen on me competing... When i lift at home, my Dad always tells me to lift lighter and to not try too hard...

So there were about 23 people competing, there were quite a few first-timers like myself, so we supported each other a lot. There was no bad talk about 'beating each other,' it was just doing it for ourself.

Many people said that this was the greatest turnout in WA lifting history, the environment was electric! Heaps of spectators, (id hazard a guess, 50 spectators), the spotters, judges, everyone was so helpful!

I met Paul and Dan on the day, they were really nice people. Absolutely everyone was supportive of each other, the sportsmanship was fantastic!

Also saw macmad there, very nice guy who's happy to give me tips.

No matter what i lifted, it was such a great day! I feel so inspired to continue training and just to be part of this community.
I grew some balls and told my parents what i actually did today, they took it fairly well, my Dad said he'll come and support me next time, so i'm very happy my parents approve of my little hobby.

So my results:

RAW, 82.5kg Class (81.0kg at weigh-in)
18 year old, Teenage Mens

squat
165 - new PB + 5kg

bench
87.5(X) - FAIL

deadlift
175 - new PB + 20kg :D

total: 422.5kg

So stoked with those numbers! the competitors, coaches and announcer kept saying how i made them easy, so that gave me a lot of confidence. the spectators were cheering like mad, especially on that 165kg squat! man it was EPIC!!!

squat felt alright, considering i've been doing the first 2 weeks of PPP the past 2 weeks leading up to this. I was suprised i still had the strength + some more for this. Some people even said the 165kg seemed too easy, i think i had a good fight with it. I would've gotten a 4th attempt (national record, there was no record before LOL) if i joined as a CAPO member, rather than a guest :p

bench lol. was a joke. really have to improve this. nevertheless, everyone was still cheering me on for these attempts. 87.5kg was HEAVY!

deadlift, whilst i was warming up, i had a few people check out my technique. i remembered what kelly said, only dip down a few secs before you rip, use your bodyweight to pull back, not up. all these things helped me tons.
i really wanted 160kg today, they said it was too easy. this strongman teenager told me i had 180kg easy. he said go 170kg conservative, or 180kg and go for it. 175kg was okay hey, it felt so fun just to lift heavy things off the floor.

I'm definitely gonna lift again in October, when CAPO hold their next meet. No idea about Nationals though, i wonder if i qualified haha.

Once again, I have to say thanks to all those involved, espcially you Markos. Thanks for telling me to give it a go, im so glad i took your advice! definitely gonna be all ears to your advice from now on.
Also thanks to all people who have helped me out in this thread and throughout the forum. really, thanks a lot.

that was one AWESOME DAY!!! :):):)

PS: Unfortunately ive got no video or pics of today, i think the twins recorded parts of it but im not sure if i was in any.

Last edited:
I also fibbed to my parents, i told them was i going to a 'party' as I was pretty sure they wouldn't be too keen on me competing... When i lift at home, my Dad always tells me to lift lighter and to not try too hard...

I know the feeling. My parents have always resented me lifting weights because I used to be a very good guitarist beforehand.

Good lifts man, especially your squat!

I've got a tear in my eye, what a great account.

you did so well, its amazing what competition does.

What a pity you didnt join CAPO, you would own the squat record right now, Max is lifting in your class at NATS, and yes you qualify, but you'll need to join up. The reason there is no squat record is because it was done with knee wraps. Once the rules changed, they moved the lifts to historical. They still need to remove the total record as well.

See you in August Chipmunk.

A big thanks to Paul for helping first time lifters that I "encouraged" to enter.

cheers big fella, I owe you one

Awesome stuff mate!
Lifts aside, I think the biggest victory you had was that now your parents are aware of your passion and talent and are there to support you!
I'm sure having your dad there to cheer you on will get some even bigger numbers next time!

Well done, chipmunk... I mean champ!

Told you you have plenty more in that deadlift!

Great squat too! Why didn't you join CAPO there?

lol, kids these days... fibbing to their parents that they're going to the party but instead going to a sport competition. In my days, it's the exact opposite!

My Dad is the same. He loves showing off my lifting videos to his mates, but always tells me to lift light and easy.

thanks to everyone for the kind words,

I know the feeling. My parents have always resented me lifting weights because I used to be a very good guitarist beforehand.

Good lifts man, especially your squat!

Cheers Oli, ahh well, we're getting wiser by the day, slowly they'll set us free :cool:

I've got a tear in my eye, what a great account.

you did so well, its amazing what competition does.

What a pity you didnt join CAPO, you would own the squat record right now, Max is lifting in your class at NATS, and yes you qualify, but you'll need to join up. The reason there is no squat record is because it was done with knee wraps. Once the rules changed, they moved the lifts to historical. They still need to remove the total record as well.

See you in August Chipmunk.

are you kidding me, i made the man himself tear up? lol, i'll be super keen at what these teenage beasts end up lifting on the big stage!

yea, thanks to you i entered and i conquered my fear of the deadlift. had i not entered, id still be on the 180kg deadlift program, dreading a deadlift session... bring it on, i say! I'll continue to try to aim for the magic "squat 80% of your deadlift"

Congrats Alvin!

Thanks blbarclay, your trainings going very well too!

now your parents are aware of your passion and talent and are there to support you!
I'm sure having your dad there to cheer you on will get some even bigger numbers next time!

I'm sure having my Dad there would give me a lot of support, I didn't tell them anything about results though :p

I wonder how they'll react when i drop the 'can i go to victoria to lift weights' bomb on them...

Well done, chipmunk... I mean champ!

Told you you have plenty more in that deadlift!

Great squat too! Why didn't you join CAPO there?

Thanks dude, you've been supporting me all the way hey, i owe you a lot! if we meet up one day, dinner's on me :)

I was really surprised the deadlifts came off the floor. When i tried 160kg three times at home, it was stuck to the ground. This time around, they came off the ground, let alone locked out!

Why didn't i join CAPO, I'm kicking myself now!

Well done Alvin.

And damn what a squat!

Thanks Nick, means a lot to me coming from you. I swear ive seen every video of you on PTC's youtube channel, you are a very strong guy (just in case you didn't know). ;)

Excellent work Alvin, PBs in 2/3 is very good

my parents are the same hahahha

What can i say, the atmosphere was crazy! Maybe it was a mix of the atmosphere and me not trying hard enough on 1RM at home...

Thanks nievs. :)

--

Also, everyone HAS to watch this:

[YOUTUBE]60ROmMB9Bxo[/YOUTUBE]

James Fig breaks the world record with a 170kg bench!

Watching that video again, it seems like Colin (the main/front spotter) touched the bar and helped him up a bit @ 0:13 seconds. He wasn't a spotter for any other lifters, so I don't know why he wanted to spot the WR? Not having a go at him, I'm just curious, what do you think?

Markos agreed, "lol, and THAT is why you cant break WR at state titles lol"

The second the lift off spotter stepped back onto the platform, it was a failed attempt, regardless of when he touched the bar.

One of the judges is a friend of a friend, he red lighted the lift as he saw the spotter touch the bar, the other 2 may have missed it.

The lifter gets an oppurtunity to ACTAUALLY break a WR at the Nats, the only place you CAN break a WR

guys that video is of Frank Ballestra ( might have spelt last name wrong )
James F is a 60kg lifter so not likely to be doing 170 raw anytime soon

Thanks for picking that up, I've no idea where I got James Fig from...

Apologies for the mistake, the video has been renamed.

That site is very hard to read, but from what I can see, did you just kick all the arses in the 18-19 RAW category, Alvin? :D

cheers for the results.

no problems, a quote from Henry on facebook:

Quick Update from WA State Tittles: 24 lifters competed - (21 lifted raw), 49 Aus Records claimed (based on CAPO's current web sites record page). Had at least 80 spectators attend... Results: Women; 1st Jaye Thomas, 2nd Candy Outten, 3rd Kay Jacobs. Men; 1st Mat VanBeunnigen, 2nd Colin Thomas, 3rd Luca Rossi.... Highl...ights; Frank Balestras unofficial World Record Bench 170kg @ 75kg. Jaye Thomas's amazing debut smashing her weight class records with ease. Full report will be out in next few days.... Cheers Henry
[/QUOTE]
That site is very hard to read, but from what I can see, did you just kick all the arses in the 18-19 RAW category, Alvin? :D

tbh, i haven't checked! just going through it now, nope i didn't. beating other people wasn't even on my mind hey :p

obtw, here's some pics of the day:

CAPO WA Meet

and some videos of Paul and Dan:
YouTube - ruccisgym's Channel

Last edited: