• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much can you chin?

chrisp

THIS IS NOT A TYPO,

Unlike the bench press, most guys gauge chin up performance on 'how many reps' they can perform,not how much weight they can move.

The chin up is one of the most important excerises anybody looking to get stronger and bigger can do.

I think you should be able to 'chin' wot you can 'bench'.

Shoulder injuries rise significantly when a guy bench's 15% more than he can chin research has shown.

Tomany guys overtrain on the bench,even some of the 1rm lifts on here prove that.

So try it?? If you bench 120kg at 90kg b/w, strap 30kg to you and chin..
Or do what I do, do as many chins as you can, say you manage 15.
then load the barbell with your b/w and do 15.

If you fall short you have an imbalance,and are prone to shoulder injuries.

I'm near 100kg and I can get about 8 on a good day...
I can bench 100 for 8 too, so am I balanced??

today i chinned 15 plus bw (83) for 8 reps. i could probably do 3-4 at 98kg on the bench

Do you guys use hip/leg drive to bring the weight up?

I personally think a proper chin is when you are fully dead hanged and then pull yourself up.

Very balanced shrek thats fantastic for 100kg guy , your a machine.

I put this thread up because im so surprised the amount of guys that im seeing that bench say 120kg, at 90kg b/w and cant do 2 chins?
Also alot of guys are benching say 120kg and only squating and deadlifting marginally higher weights.
I understand the first thing you get asked is "HOW MUCH YOU BENCH" and lifting heavy is most's goal, but there has to be a balance otherwise there is going to be alot of hunched over guys with bad posture's,and injuries.

Last edited:
hey fadi are you using the other hand to grip your wrist???

Not holding onto anything Chris. I know it would be easier if one was to hold their wrist with the other hand and that's how I started back in the early 80s, but later got stronger (and more imbalanced) where I could manage without holding on to anything at all. I wouldn't advice one try it since it's really nothing to be proud of when you have imbalances throughout your body.

My left side is almost all injured and therefore weaker than my right, including my eye but not my ear! How's that for some self analysis!

Fadi.

Last edited:
Best is 17 with good form (ie not swinging legs or hips), today I did, 15, 10, then 5 with less than a minute break between, after my workout. I find MP's horrible but chins I actually like.

Great thread, although your comparing a horizontal press with a vertical row.

The question is, can you perform a horizontal row with the same weight you can do a horizontal press. Thats what shows up imbalances.

The military press is a horizontal press, like the chin is a horizontal row.

Using this combination you will find most lifters are greatly imbalanced, except for Olympic lifters who are the best "weight" athletes around.

Awesome effort Fadi.........again.

Dips are easier than pull-ups though. Your arms are supported in dips, so it's not full bodyweight like pull-ups, and the ROM of dips is significantly shorter.

Dips are easier than pull-ups though. Your arms are supported in dips, so it's not full bodyweight like pull-ups, and the ROM of dips is significantly shorter.

The weight thing is identical, your forearms are the only static body part in both exercises, and in both exercises neither involves lifting the forearms.

The range of motion in a dip is less, about 2/3 of a pullup.

So you should be able to do a higher weight in dips due to the shorter range of motion.

I think the biggest issue would be that one requires a lot of forearm strength to hold your grip, the other does not.