• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much can you chin?

Considering I way roughly 75 - 76kg and my bench is 75kg for 8 reps I'd say im roughly similar considering by the end of a set of 5 of 9 reps of chin ups w 30 secs I can barely pump out the last couple. However are you referring to max amount? If so I believe my max is around 25 maybe slightly more bodyweight chin ups. Which are you referring to?

110kg bench x5 and i chin 80kg (bw + 30kg hanging) for 5 reps before grip gives way.

Last edited:
Chinned a total of 107kg tonight with a current bench PB of 107.5kg haha.

I was thinking though, the opposite of the bench would be the row right? So wouldnt a better test of "balance" be -
bench VS row?
O/H VS Pullup?

I guy that I with cant do 1 chin.... Any advice on how I can get him up there? Lat pulldowns the only option?

I did 2 chins today at 107kg.. My bench 1rm is currently 110kg...

Ill try them when i am fresh.. but i had already done push press and squats before it...

I need to incorporate them In and not be lazy.. I always seem to forget dips as well.

I can do more pull ups than I can chin... what does this indicate? Weak biceps? Time to do some curls or throw in a few more squats.. hmm

Chins and pull ups are the same thing. !!!!!

?? Chin = palms facing you, pull ups = palms facing away from you. I find pull ups use more lat while chins use more bicep?

Funny because a lot of people I know find chins easier than pull ups. Maybe its because I've never done a set of curls in my life, so I have weak biceps? :D

My bench 5x5 is currently 140kg @ 120kg bodyweight
My widegrip pullup 5x5 is currently BW + 12.5kg

Not totally balanced anymore, however, I bench first and pullup 2nd in most workouts, I'm sure if I switched it around I could probably manage BW + 15kg on the pullups.

Pretty happy with it

?? Chin = palms facing you, pull ups = palms facing away from you. I find pull ups use more lat while chins use more bicep?

Funny because a lot of people I know find chins easier than pull ups. Maybe its because I've never done a set of curls in my life, so I have weak biceps? :D
They are the same thing regardless of hand positioning. Anyhow.......

I did 10 the other day palm facing in.

Been doing chins a bit lately, usually do 3 sets of 10 reps, with 25kg strapped to me. I weigh about 73kg.

Do chin ups give anyone else headaches? I find that it kinda strains the muscle at the back of my neck (Levator scapulae maybe?) Really annoying ;\.

I find that whenever I get headaches during training it's due to incorrect breathing during the set, try focusing a bit better on your breathing.

I find that whenever I get headaches during training it's due to incorrect breathing during the set, try focusing a bit better on your breathing.

Yeah true, I will concentrate more on my breathing next time. This could actually be my problem, thanks.

Does anyone not do chins?

I've always done wide grip pull ups. They just feel way more natural.