• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Burning desire

Jim_Junkie

Hey, I love my workouts but at the moment there are two really good exercises that whenever I perform I just can't feel the burn. These two exercises are skullcrushers and one arm dumbell rows.

For some reason I struggle to feel the movement in my lats when I do one arm dumbell rows. Also when I do skull crushers I feel bugger all in my triceps as opposed to doing rope pushdowns.

Any advice on where I might be going wrong or how to perform these excercises would be great. Cheers, :)

What weight and rep are you doing,

When doing skull crushers do dips first, then crushers or db french press which I find better.

for the rows, lower the weight and up the reps a tad, and then focus on really good form, full extension, back strait and flat. bring the weight up to you hip, and squeeze it at the top.

Hey, I love my workouts but at the moment there are two really good exercises that whenever I perform I just can't feel the burn. These two exercises are skullcrushers and one arm dumbell rows.

Jim, if it would make you feel any better, I also did not feel any burn in the two above mentioned exercises...big deal and so what!

I remember performing 50 rep squat sets without the slightest burn whatsoever; not so after 10 or so reps on a leg extension machine though. We both know which exercise is better for building gigantic muscles now don't we Jim!

Fadi.

If you have a weak grip db rows will go a long way to strengthening it. Leave the straps, get some chalk.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kroc can do 13 reps with 140kg, is that even possible without straps? :p

Jim, if it would make you feel any better, I also did not feel any burn in the two above mentioned exercises...big deal and so what!

I remember performing 50 rep squat sets without the slightest burn whatsoever; not so after 10 or so reps on a leg extension machine though. We both know which exercise is better for building gigantic muscles now don't we Jim!

Fadi.

what the heck weight did you use for 50 rep squats? 50%? 45%?

Rows target the upper back so your lats won't really feel much as your arms fatigue quite quickly.
Chin-ups are the ticket.
Pull-over type machines come into their own here, if you have one use it.
With a relatively light weight, do as many as possible, 20 is a good target, go to fatigue, the run to a pulldown type machine and continue, a hammer high pull is a good choice, I promise you will recieve lat burn, the trick is to not rest between the two.
After a month of this you will be able to activate lats when chinning.
Posted via Mobile Device

what the heck weight did you use for 50 rep squats? 50%? 45%?

60% of 200kg which was 120kg at the time. By doing such high repetitions I was extremely fit in both the cardiovascular system as well as the muscular system, hence no fatigue...just boredom made me stop the set. I stopped doing 120kg shortly after and upped it to 130kg for couple of sets of 20 reps (the first 10 done in a non-stop fashion) so as to really tire the quads.

The above is not something that can be done overnight, it takes months of conditioning and determination, not to mention strong legs (and possibly someone of my height at 164cm tall).

Fadi.

120 x 50, followed up by a few sets of 130 x 20!!!!!

Impressive!

No Ben, (sorry for the misunderstanding), 130kg x 20 came out of the boredom I was going through when doing a "light" weight for too many reps, that's why I upped it by 10kg and began to stick with 130kg whenever I felt the need for some high reps. So they were not done in the same workout, that would have been a real waste of time and more boring.

Fadi.