• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Drop before you stop and up the intensity in an instant.

Fadi

So you think you’re done with your set yeh? I’ve said it before, there is no such thing as a true muscular failure, except when we die that is. Only then your muscles and mine won’t contract, but until that moment arrives, drop sets is where it’s at for anyone looking to sky rocket their workout intensity in an instant.

And no, you don’t have to restrict yourself to the usually known drop set exercises such as d/bell side laterals or moving the pin in the lat pull-down machine etc. No iron warriors, I’m talking squat drops, I’m talking deadlifting drops. Ultra deep muscle stimulation aside, I can not think of anything or any other way that would stimulate your own powerful testosterone hormone and blast it into the stratosphere than this. Yes, the stratosphere is a special region above the earth, where only special planes such as the mighty SR-71 Blackbird can ever conquer.

633921216578802045-SR71BLACKBIRD.jpg

So, are you just your average jet fighter or are you a special Blackbird…soaring above all else like a majestic eagle?

Granted, drop sets are not for everyday use (especially on compound movements) since they place the body under great stress. They are to be treated like platinum, diamond, and gold; precious metals for that special occasion.

So, when was the last time you opted for a drop set on a squat instead of your normal high volume exercises with their high volume of sets? I say just for a change, why not bring the Blackbird to the table for couple of times a week over a one month period and then tell me if you don’t feel like an eagle by the end of your flight…

Sure, there are other training principles such as the powerful rest-pause system, where stimulated muscle fibers are kept for longer under higher tension than is possible with a normal set. These great principles are just another tool in a bodybuilder’s gym bag, they come out on that occasion when a muscle (or group of muscles) are in need of that extra special treat…icing on the cake if you will.

Bald_eagle.jpg

Fadi.

Last edited:
Can you point out for the knuckle heads like me, fadi when this special occassion for drop sets would ocur?

I'm one of your biggest fans, so I know one of your most common messages is train smart. In fact I think I remember you posting in a couple places that good training doesn't necessarily have to involve feeling that burn or putting yourself under extra stress. So I'm curious as to when something that appears to go against your regular message would be suitable. If it benefits greatly, then I want to include it in my training repertoire
Posted via Mobile Device

Fadi, you have an amazing grasp of our language. I love to read everything you write.

Can you point out for the knuckle heads like me, fadi when this special occassion for drop sets would ocur?

I'm one of your biggest fans, so I know one of your most common messages is train smart. In fact I think I remember you posting in a couple places that good training doesn't necessarily have to involve feeling that burn or putting yourself under extra stress. So I'm curious as to when something that appears to go against your regular message would be suitable. If it benefits greatly, then I want to include it in my training repertoire
Posted via Mobile Device

Whenever you feel the need to shock your neuromuscular system into new adaptation, you would opt for such an ultra intense principle such as the drop set system.

Perchance you may have hit a plateau despite taking it easy or going hard at it. With the drop set system, there is no guess work; it will jolt your system and force it to adapt. Now it goes without saying that such a system requires a top notch nutrition regime as well as a restful mind and body. Failing to adhere to the nutrition and rest aspect would surely end in an individual falling ill, (due to the stress placed on the immune system).

Apie, look at the drop set as a catapult into the next higher mountain, where there'll be plenty of walking and perhaps some running through that mountain until you arrive at another higher mountain with a need for another catapult to set you on your soaring way.

Ultimately, let your own body be the judge of the frequency of this magnificent "catapult" of a system and let not your head get ahead of you in excitement, for this is a system that demands the utmost of respect lest your immune system suffer (due to a possible under-nourished and less rested body and mind).

PS: Apie, if you look at this thread Fadi on Bodybuilding reply #13, you'd find that I have a week I called the "wild" week. Here is where a "catapult" of your choice may be used (if you think you're a need to scale a new mountain that is).

Fadi.

Last edited:
More food for thought thanks Fadi. I have used this technique over the last year.
My problem has probably been over doing it. Is there such thing as overdoing it though? I understand the concept of a plateau breaker but what exactly are the negatives of using the method all or most of the time? Is it the whole muscle memory argument or more the tiring muscles out rather then growing them? Curious to hear your knowledge on this one.

Llew
Posted via Mobile Device

Do it every week and you will understand what the problem is. If you don't want to give it a shot the answer is you will not be able to recover, fadi's words stimulate not annhilate is a good answer for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah as I thought. The Max-ot program always suggested working out for no longer then an hour and never failing on a set so you "work" your muscles instead of "tiring" them. I see allot of people doing drop sets every night at my new gym. There is just so much isolation exercise going on. I've seen two strength trainers so far.

Brothers Dave & Gauche, please take a look over here Fadi on Bodybuilding at reply #36 and read it carefully. Follow the link I had provided and...Knowing how you two gentlemen think, you may even like the book I provided to give support to my answer: Muscle mechanics By Everett Aaberg

When bodybuilders begin to fully comprehend the difference between muscles and nerve cells recovery, then...and only then will they produce amazing bodybuilding programs which take not just muscle stimulation into account, but also the often neglected (puzzle) that is nerve cell recovery.

I thank you both equally; Dave and Gauche.

Fadi.

This is quite interesting. Somehow I've only just discovered this thread. A squat drop set my coach has gotten me to do (though their usually always different) looks a bit like...

70% x 5reps x 1
75% x 4reps x 1
80% x 3reps x 1
70% x 5reps x 1
75% x 4reps x 1

Now, without a doubt the last rep of the last set is always the toughest...that is if you're actually working at the right 1RM. Even though you're moving less weight than previously (for example in the 80% set)....your legs should be pretty stressed (tho not fatigued). For further insight into drop sets that i've done, feel free to check out my training log 'A Novice Weightlifter'

Thanks Fadi only just seen this then. Max-ot always stressed 3-4 minutes between sets. Lift heavy 4-6 times then rest for 4 minutes. No more then 3 sets on one exercise. No more then 12 sets all up. Train the muscle group only once per week. Mix the workout around every few weeks e.g go to free weights instead of using the bar. All in all im not saying this is the best routine but they have crossed all the t's and dotted a few i's haven't they? I meant they do lack mixing the rep range up I believe but they do include deadlifts and squats as a plus.

I meant they do lack mixing the rep range up I believe but they do include deadlifts and squats as a plus.
Mixing the rep range is where it's at for a bodybuilder, after all this is not weightlifting or powerlifting. Not mixing the reps and going high is missing on 50% of your muscle potential for growth since we're made up of about 50/50 slow to fast twitch muscle fibers.

Max-ot have their good points but what they lack is flexibility which is the opposite of rigidity as far as I'm concerned. Variety reign supreme in the sport of bodybuilding; anything else is too rigid.

Take a look at pro (yes pro) bodybuilders who have trained in a certain way for years on end, only to rubbish what they've been doing in favour of the total opposite they're doing now. So if pro bodybuilder X was clinging to heavy weights/low reps, now he tells us that high reps is where it's at, and vice versa. Why go through all these years holding to the "only right way" when the "only right way" simply does not exist, except in the mind of that rigid bodybuilder.

Fadi.

Hey thanks Fadi, you articulate your thoughts extremely well, elegance and efficiency, which makes learning from you a pleasure as others have noted. I have ordered the book you recommended this morning along with another, looking forward to a good read. Knowledge is power...

Hey thanks Fadi, you articulate your thoughts extremely well, elegance and efficiency, which makes learning from you a pleasure as others have noted. I have ordered the book you recommended this morning along with another, looking forward to a good read. Knowledge is power...
May the loving and just God bless you Reverend on your chosen words; thank you kindly Sir, I very much appreciate it. And you’re absolutely right; knowledge is power that duplicates itself especially when shared with others.

Fadi.