• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bicep trouble

W

wakmat

Hello

I'm wondering if anyone has the same problem as me,and could provide some help,When I do bicep curls I have alot of trouble isolating my bicep from my forearm,I always get pumped in the forearm and my bicep dosent feel as though I have exercised it enough,I have tried different wrist positions,and hand placement on the barbell,I have tried dumbells with my wrist rolled,I only seem to get a half decent bicep workout doing hammer curls.Any help would be great.

Thanks tim

dont wanna sound harsh here Wakmat but mate if your forearms hurt when doing curls then your forearms are probably weak as shyte.... if its not causing you any pain other than muscular soreness, then just keep going mate, your forearms will catch up eventually. other than that just practice grip exercises or do more exercises which involve alot of grip like chin ups and pulling exercises.

I agree with Jman, you should probs do some work on ur forearms, and swich to a ez bar, with the hands just wider than your shoulders. Thats the way i lift and i can feel almost all the concentration from it in my biceps

The role of the bicep is to suppinate the hand.
There's two biceps.
The long head attaches above the shoulder.
Two effectively isolate this group you would need to raise the arm over the shoulder, for the preacher curl to be effective the pad would need to be positioned a lot higher than it is.

By suppinating you hand and then flexing your bicep you have only partly contracted now in that position lift your arm so the you now have you fist just behind the base of your skull push down as though you are trying to touch the middle of your back, hold it there for 30 seconds then release, you bicep will cramp.
This is just a demonstration of the fact that during a normal bicep curl the muscle are never fully contracted.
Posted via Mobile Device

What moons and Silverback said...

Switch to an easy curl bar and position your hands where moons mentioned. Then make sure you curl for full ROM high. I actually curl until the bar touches my lower lip then lower all the way down just short of full release of tension.

You'll find the easy curl bar brings the work back on to the bicep. I had the same problem with forearm discomfort until I switched to the easycurl. It allowed me to then systematically increase my weights and attack the biceps themselves.

Powersports, FYI n00bs has a thing against isolation exercises. If its not deadlift, squat or bench then it has no place in a workout in his view of the world. I use bicep curls as an assistance to my back work. Can't chin too much with week biceps.

Cheers,
Mike

asif not do biceps curls with your deads.. Its all about the guns!!

True dat. Chicks love the guns. There's one office girl here who's a bit of a hottie who openly states she goes all gooey for big guns.

Neglect them at your peril.

Cheers,
Mike

my missus loves teasing other girls who hang onto their boyfriends/partners tiny biceps/arms by rubbing my 18's in front of em. I feel used but ill live with it.

People who train their guns a lot a making up for something downstairs.

Now I'm off to do some more curls for the third time today :D
Posted via Mobile Device