• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

11th hour

I'm really interested in getting some opinions on the benefits of animal protein vs plant protein, red meat vs white meat and concept of low meat consumption for benefit of alkaline diet vs high meat consumption for its nutrient dense qualities.

The usual disclaimer - I won't take responses as medical advice - I'm just interested in a discussion on these topics.

Last edited:
Meat is good, this is coming from an ex-vegetarian. In regards to akaline vs acid, Noobs will probably go on for about 300 pages on this so I won't say too much. We have too much acidic foods that can cause problems in our body (especially our teeth) eating more alkaline food will help negate this.

In regards to meat/protein sources. Eat some eggs, red meat, white meat, fish they all with give you a good amount of protein. It is really what comes with the different sources of protein that count i.e. omega 3's with fish. Noobs will go into this more I am sure as he has more knowledge about nutrition.

Plant proteins are not great, they usually do not have the full spectrum of essential amino acids and come with a lot of carbohydrates. If you can not eat meat they are the next best thing but I would go for meat and lots of veggies then plant proteins next if you can not find a meat/protein powder source.

Question Dave... Do the proteins from either group absorb quicker then others? Do our body's digest the meat proteins better? or vise versa or the same?

Im at college at the moment so i cant reply indepth i will later,

There are many factors but you have to know what your goals in life are.

If purley longevity is your goal then a vegetarian diet might be better for you form studies we have.

However form what we are leanring about hormones and aging now, and we already know resistance training increases these hormones then eating amino acids form meat to fuel this exercise may lead to longevity...

We do not know and we may never now... Who can organise a study to last a lifetime?

Some studies suggest that supplementing vitamins and actually fasting may aid in longevity. But who wants to be old and weak?

It all comes down to what you want out of life.

A high intake of protein in general increases uric acid. Uric acid is well what is sounds like. This aids to acidising the human body...

THis might be of some shock but we are designed to DIE and there is no way around this ellegant design... We oxygen is needed for life but it kill us in the end through oxidisation.

All we can do is balance our life to a healthy lifestyle of our choising...

I am willing to intake a higher protein content but i do other things to negate the negative affects it has on my body such as eating raw vegetables and having a high vitmain intake and not eating processed or chemical sprayed foods.

I will delve into more later.

I'll let noobs answer that as I don't have a clue. Never really cared as long as my wpi was doing it's job post training :).
Posted via Mobile Device

animal cruelty vs vegtable cruelty

I hate carrots but love my cat so im gonna have to go with vegtable protien is better.

in saying that i just finished a cat sandwich mmmm purrrrfect.

please ignore my post hehe

Question Dave... Do the proteins from either group absorb quicker then others? Do our body's digest the meat proteins better? or vise versa or the same?

This is something I have not studied yet, and im not sure if i even will...

Most of the stuff i share with you guys is learnt from further self education. As i perosnally do not believe infomation that is mass produced and delivered to us to gobble up. If that makes sense...

EDIT: Just found this.
Spirulina Vegetable protein vs animal protein

Spirulina contains more than 60% vegetable protein, which is much higher than fish, pork, or beef (which contains about 15 ~20 %).Animal protein is a much bigger molecule than vegetable protein, and is much harder to for our system to digest.
Most modern people overindulge in animal protein, by eating fish, beef, pork etc. When too much animal protein is eaten, it is deposited in our body as fat. Too much fat will cause high cholesterol levels and may impact our heart and blood vessels. ("Healths" problem with animal protein is with the fat content of meat. This can be avoided by eating lean meat/fish/kangaroo -n00bs)

Vegetable protein is water soluble, and is much smaller than animal protein. If you eat too much vegetable protein, it is simply discharged by your system as waste and not stored as fat.
Animal protein is a much bigger molecule than vegetable protein, and is much harder to for our system to digest.
Most modern people overindulge in animal protein, by eating fish, beef, pork etc. When too much animal protein is eaten, it is deposited in our body as fat. Too much fat will cause high cholesterol levels and may impact our heart and blood vessels.
Vegetable protein is water soluble, and is much smaller than animal protein. If you eat too much vegetable protein, it is simply discharged by your system as waste and not stored as fat.

Spirulina FAQ's

I have no idea of the validity of that reading since they sell spirulina.

[FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL,GENEVA]The body requires amino acids in specific proportions. If a food is low in one or more amino acids, those amino acids are called limiting amino acids, and the body cannot use all the amino acids completely. The most ideal proportion of amino acids is found in eggs. All other foods have some limiting amino acids. [/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL,GENEVA]Limiting amino acids in spirulina are methionine and cystine, but it is still higher in these amino acids than grains, seeds, vegetables and legumes, and higher in lysine than all vegetables except legumes. Spirulina complements vegetable protein and increases the amino acid quality if eaten within several hours of other foods. Over 100% of the daily essential amino acid requirements for a typical adult male are supplied by using only 36 grams of spirulina, about 4 heaping tablespoons.
[/FONT]

http://www.roberthenrikson.com/SpirulinaSource/earthfoodch2a.html#protein

Last edited:
Noobs – thanks for your response – really interesting. I’d never really thought of diet in terms of what you want to get out of life before. The way you explain it and thinking about what I have read/heard – vegetarian diet is best for heart health, longevity etc; amino acids from meat are essential; alkaline is better than acid; - everyone may be right as far as their agenda is concerned… so now I get what’s going on there… I’m curious about what is the process of “oxidisation” in humans – I know what it means for metal…

Dave – what are the benefits you’ve found by adding meat back into your diet after being a vegetarian?

Noobs – thanks for your response – really interesting. I’d never really thought of diet in terms of what you want to get out of life before. The way you explain it and thinking about what I have read/heard – vegetarian diet is best for heart health, longevity etc; amino acids from meat are essential; alkaline is better than acid; - everyone may be right as far as their agenda is concerned… so now I get what’s going on there… I’m curious about what is the process of “oxidisation” in humans – I know what it means for metal…

Dave – what are the benefits you’ve found by adding meat back into your diet after being a vegetarian?

Oxidisaiton is basically the removal of ions from something..

Thats what rust is oxygen removes ions from metal and it "rusts"

The same thing happens to our body. Thats why we have "anti-oxidants". Anti oxidants lend their ions to ones i nthe body that are missing...

So naturally if you have a diet and lifestyle high in free radicals. Free Radicals are atoms that have lost an ion and they want it back!! So they steal it from other atoms in the body, and this process is like dominos. Eventually this is how our dna gets damaged. Then when the damaged cell replicates it replicates wrong because its blueprints are messed up and this is what we know as cancer.

From all that i have read from all that i have watched a vegetarian diet with no soy seems to be the healthiest diet in terms of protection against this damage. Animal products do cause cancer, milk causes cancer casein is an evil protein. Fadi can tell you more about this.

So it comes down to your priorites and what you want out of life... Naturally if you are 50 with cancer then looking back you may regret some decisions you have made in terms of health. But you have to make your decisions and accept that their may be some consaquences.

Im not preaching here in fact I dont like hearing the truth, my diet is heavily meat orientated and its bad news for me to listen to this sort of stuff but i have to accept the fact that that is how it is...

Thanks noobs.

Seems to me trying to strike a sort of balance is your best bet for health. Vegetarians do seem to get a pretty good bill of health but then I've known vegetarians who have struggled with iron levels and had deficiency of vit B12.

Thanks noobs.

Seems to me trying to strike a sort of balance is your best bet for health. Vegetarians do seem to get a pretty good bill of health but then I've known vegetarians who have struggled with iron levels and had deficiency of vit B12.

Im not preeching vegetarianism.. My mrs would kill me, But b12 shots and an iron supplement wouldnt go astray.. Men dont usually have problems with low iron it is usually the other way around.

Its only if you do it properly and well planned. Include supplements and a variety of foods and no soy that a vego can diet can be of benefit.

Depends on how much iron you can absorb. My dads side of the family has a problem with absorbing too much iron so when I was a vegetarian I would have been fine :D, most people are not like this though.

Personally wise I found it really hard to eat clean and healthy as a veg, when I ate clean and healthy I found my body wanted meat badly. When I ate average (think processed carb foods etc) then I would not feel the need to eat meat, but I was not eating as healthy. I took the 'listen to your body' idea and started eating meat again.

I remember that Alkaline foods was supposed to be the big thing back in the 90s, then it seemed to lose importance. Then I remember Randy Couture saying that it was one of the most important things he considered in his Diet.