• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How long can you leave your protien shake mixed?

So,
I was chatting to a mate of mine about my diet. I told him I mix up my protien shake in a 2L milk bottle so I can just take it to work and drink it through out the day.
Now he says that you need to drink it soon after its mixed. I dont know why he says this, he couldnt back it up with any facts ect.
I'm sure that on one of my old tubs it said "consume within 12 hours of mixing", which I do (takes me about 7 hours to get through 2L). My current tub says nothing about times.

So, how long can I leave it mixed, and what - if anything, happens to the nutrients?

Cheers,
Sticky.

I understand that if the protein has creatine in it, it should be consumed quickly. Be interesting to hear the facts behind it. If you mixed a batch of milk powder as long as it's in the fridge it should be all good so I would think protein would be the same. Good question.
Posted via Mobile Device

Interested in the answer to this as well because I make my breakfast shake the night before, so it sits in my fridge mixed up for about 10-11 hours..

not sure myself either mate but they have shaker containers these days which keep the powder and liquid seperate untill some part on the container is screwed down which releases the powder into the liquid.... tbh its prob overkill, u can always just pack some powder into shaker containers and add liquid to each when u want to drink them.... i dont see why they would go bad tho. its mixing with liquid... what does he think happens when its consumed? its not dried up or something lol your body consumes it as a liquid anyways...

If it smells funny don't drink it, didn't your mum teach you blokes anything?
Posted via Mobile Device

These ones stay mixed for a very long time before consumption:

619205ac7ae3c8d2d4f9d986a86bb75b.jpg

These ones stay mixed for a very long time before consumption:

619205ac7ae3c8d2d4f9d986a86bb75b.jpg

I've been looking for 'pre-mixed' shakes that I can
buy off the shelf.

Anyone know where?

And yes any evidence regarding the mixing and
keeping drinks would be good.

how hard is it to stir a spoon in some milk of a morning?? what does it take 30 seconds?

Noobs, did you read my original post? Its so I can take 2L pre-mixed to work. I ride my bike and dont have room for all my food + 2L bottle of milk + shaker + container of protien powder ect.

Oh ok, fair enough. It's hard to see where eyes are looking on the interwebz :p

Do you have an imput though?
Posted via Mobile Device

It's fine mate.

This is one of those urban myths that people sprout as fact because they've heard it over and over again, but people just forgot their highschool chemistry and common sense.

Why would it go off, if the separate components wouldn't? There is no chemical reaction happening as you are putting it in an airtight container (i assume). So they won't oxidize or anything. Just normal aging. If you make it in the morning and are drinking it that day, you are fine.

But seriously... leaving your protein shaker in the car, in the sun for just 1 day will create the foulest smell ever. I just chuck the shaker out. There must be some degeneration of the protein that occurs as soon as you mix it and leave it at room temp.

I was taking a 3l of milk to work and leaving it there so I can mix my shake, until everyone else wanted to help themselves to my milk for their coffee, all work has is long life powdery crap.

So now I make up my shaker before i go to work, shaker holds about 700ml, so i make a double batch, 600ml milk, 4 scoups protein powder, and 4 tablespoons of milo. It actually ends up mixed much nicer, and tastes better after it has been in the fridge for many hours. Just ensure it stays cold.

I wouldn't worry about the protein changing form after being mixed, but keeping it cold is important to avoid getting sick.

But seriously... leaving your protein shaker in the car, in the sun for just 1 day will create the foulest smell ever. I just chuck the shaker out. There must be some degeneration of the protein that occurs as soon as you mix it and leave it at room temp.

At no point did sticky say he leaves it in the car, in the sun or at room temperature.