• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How long can you leave your protien shake mixed?

It's fine mate.

This is one of those urban myths that people sprout as fact because they've heard it over and over again, but people just forgot their highschool chemistry and common sense.
I must admit to being in the urban myth camp. I always thought that once its mixed the protein starts to degrade. Hence why I avoid the pre-mixed containers like the Aussie Bodies one linked.

I know the stuff won't go off and give you cramps, but I had heard that the quality of the protein degrades once mixed so mix immediately prior to use. I keep a big container of WPC at my desk at work and a shaker then just raid the work fridge and drink their milk that's there for coffees. They just increase the volume of milk purchased when they see it going down at a faster rate...

Where's Fadi or one of the educated gurus to set a novice straight on protein degradation once mixed. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Heat is your most problematic part of the equation. Mix it and keep it in a fridge and you should be fine for the day, leave it out in a warm environment and I would not be so trusting. You are all just having these premixed for the day ones with water yeah?

Also I forgot bacteria, its every where so it will slowly degrade the quality of a shake. Heat makes them work faster so mix it, keep it cool, place it in a fridge at work and clean it well afterwards.

Last edited:
I probably should have put that this in my OP.

I mix my shakes in full cream milk. I'm gaining weight.
Posted via Mobile Device

im guessing, if the milk dont go off, there wouldnt be anything wrong with it, the protein degrades sounds more like dont boil water twice, or its bad for you! because of the oxygen deficiency. (asian water myth, because they have to boil water before drinking)

Sticky the milk would go bad before the protein powder in it. So
follow normal milk keeping procedure. Under 5 degrees and if it smells
bad toss it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha, why would the quality just automatically degrade? If milk made protein deteriorate then milk wouldn't contain any. Also, why would you ever mix it?

Nothing stays fresh, effective and potent forever, but INSTANTLY degrading so much that it can't stay good for 7 hours when refridgerated? HahHaha if this were the case, don't you think a support company would have found a new delivery system so they could patent it and make more money?

I've worked in pharma before and this is how it works for companies to bother with a natural compound.
Posted via Mobile Device