• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Variations of leg curls

maxwolfie

As part of my workout routine (Lyle's adv. keto workout) I have both seated leg curls and just "leg curls". The seated leg curls are fine, as I have a seated leg curl machine at the gym. I am still having an issue with the "other" leg curls, I have tried the following variations with little/no success:

* GHR on lat pulldown/seated calf raise - Machine/environment didn't allow me to do this properly/ No gym buddy to sit on legs.
* Romanian deadlifts - I am still perfecting my normal deadlift technique, I am not too keen on trying these until I at least get that sorted first
* Incline D/B curls - Couldn't for the life of me hold the D/B with my feet/ankles properly. ~10kg was fine but wasn't stressing my legs at all. Any more and the D/B would fall/feel very uncomfortable etc.

What else can I do to substitute leg curls? Remember, I am also doing SEATED leg curls on the same day, so variations that train different muscles to seated is needed here.

Why are you doing leg curls?

Can you do lying leg curls?

Are you barbell squatting?
Posted via Mobile Device

Welcome to ausbb, Ill have to check your other threads for an introduction and a bit of a backgorund behind you but my quesiton is why are you doing any of those ' exercises'

A leg curl is a leg curl it will hit the three hamstring muscles which all flex the knee as well as the gastroc which assists with knee flexion. Also if you can not deadlift properly yet then I think you may want to forget all your leg curls and start deadlifting instead even if you are only working through light weights for the first few weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Do stiff leg deadlifts.
High foot leg press.
Ask your gym to buy a glute ham raise machine.

A good adjunct to a squat based template is to occasionly supplement a leg extension, leg-press and leg-curl set up;
all to Momentry muscular fatigue, no rest, from one machine to the next.

Low weight, high rep, something like; 20-50-20 rep's followed by bent over rows pendlay style.

Works the lower extremities well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Im guessing this only occurs with light - moderate weight and higher rep numbers..

With low reps and higher sets and 5x5 for example or 5x3 i dont get fatiqued i just fail.

Semantics really.

Amazing things really, place an electrical current big enough through a muscle and the contraction it causes literally rips it from the bone.

The way a muscle naturally fatigues ensures it keeps going.

Muscle comes from the word mouse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Semantics really.

Amazing things really, place an electrical current big enough through a muscle and the contraction it causes literally rips it from the bone.

The way a muscle naturally fatigues ensures it keeps going.

Muscle comes from the word mouse.
Posted via Mobile Device

:confused:

Muscle basically fatigues through either a lack of energy being provided or inadequate neuromuscular facilitation. High reps work usually fatigues your energy stores first low reps work usually fatigues the neuromuscular components first. There are other factors and a lot more detail that comes into play but we don't need to go into that.

Im just thinking of fadi's words dont go to failure...

For example especially in overhead exercises failure is alot more BOOM here i am then with other lifts. It sort of just rears its head rather then giving you warning..

do them one leg then.

Cheers, I will try that.

Why are you doing leg curls?

Can you do lying leg curls?

Are you barbell squatting?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm doing leg curls/seated leg curls as part of my "Advanced Keto Workout" by Lyle McDonald. It's a 3 day split - Day 1 is legs/core, Day 2 is Upper, <two days off>, Day 3 is a Full body/depletion workout.

Welcome to ausbb, Ill have to check your other threads for an introduction and a bit of a backgorund behind you but my quesiton is why are you doing any of those ' exercises'

See above, I will have to get around to posting an introduction. :) I have been posting on BB.com, but so far I'm finding the responses on here a little more informative. Oh, and just to clarify - I'm NOT doing GHR, Romanian deadlifts etc for whatever reason (see my OP). I would if I could.

A leg curl is a leg curl it will hit the three hamstring muscles which all flex the knee as well as the gastroc which assists with knee flexion. Also if you can not deadlift properly yet then I think you may want to forget all your leg curls and start deadlifting instead even if you are only working through light weights for the first few weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, getting my deadlift form right is probably my #1 priority at the moment.

Do stiff leg deadlifts.
High foot leg press.
Ask your gym to buy a glute ham raise machine.

The stiff deadlifts I think are also called the Romanian deadlifts.

In regards to "high foot leg press" - this is actually also part of my routine and is alternated with Leg extension, which tells me that it would work different muscle groups compared to leg curls?

Last edited:
To simply put them:

Romanian deadlifts - stick your ass out and flexing at the hips and knees.

Stiff legged deadlift - flexing at the hip keep your legs straight (slightest knee bend is ok)

Go to exrx.net if you need an example.