• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Christian

Active Member, June10MOTM

One striking effect is seen in the inhibitory capacity
of 18​
b-glycyrrhetinic acid (Fig. 5). This substance
found in licorice does not influence the oxidative pathway
but inhibits reduction of androstenedione to testosterone.
Previously, it has been observed that the serum
testosterone level in men consuming about 7 g of a
commercial preparation of licorice (containing 0.5 g of
b-glycyrrhetinic acid) a day is significantly reduced. It
has been demonstrated that licorice consumption inhibits
b-HSD (Walker et al., 1995) 17b-HSD and
17,20 lyase activity (Armanini et al., 1999). Reduced
b-HSD activity might be due to the inhibition of
b-HSD type 3 or 5. Decreased testosterone levels
result in reduced libido or other sexual dysfunction but
might have beneficial effects in cases of abnormal
prostate growth.
In summary, our results show that 17
b-HSD 5 is a
potential target for the inhibitory effect of a variety of
phytoestrogens. Inhibition of 17
b-HSD 5 might contribute
to the cancer preventive action of a soy-based

diet.

Phytoestrogens inhibit human 17b-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase
type 5

A. Krazeisen, R. Breitling, G. Mo¨ ller, J. Adamski *
GSF National Research Center for En6ironment and Health, Institute for Experimental Genetics, Genome Analysis Center,
Ingolsta¨dter Landstraße 1, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany

Enjoy your licorice fellas.

n00bs, although I don't eat licorice of any kind, there's that one word that always crops up in my mind whenever I see the word licorice and that is: Hypertension.

Having said that, I believe the culprit here is more in the way this black stuff is eaten than anything else really. So we’re talking habitual overeating here and not your occasional normal type of consumption.

Fadi.

n00bs, although I don't eat licorice of any kind, there's that one word that always crops up in my mind whenever I see the word licorice and that is: Hypertension.

Having said that, I believe the culprit here is more in the way this black stuff is eaten than anything else really. So we’re talking habitual overeating here and not your occasional normal type of consumption.

Fadi.

Yes i agree..

But there are some people who could possibly be consuming this daily.

One thing i have learnt is that just because your health standards are a certain way, be it cleanliness eating doesnt mean that everyone is like that. My grand father used to eat licorcie daily. And 7grams is not alot at all.