• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Five-a-day' fruit and veggies have only limited impact on cancer

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
EATING lots of fruit and vegetables has only a small effect on warding off cancer, a new study says, although its authors insist that tucking into the recommended "five-a-day" is still good for general health. Doctors led by Paolo Boffetta at the Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, pored over eight years of data from a major European investigation into the relationship between cancer risk and food.

The investigation, which is continuing, covers nearly 470,000 volunteers recruited in 10 Western European countries.

Between 1992 and 2000, more than 30,000 of the participants were diagnosed with cancer.
'Five-a-day' fruit and veggies have only limited impact on cancer | News.com.au

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

ill just copy and paste 2 responses

Nutrionist of Canberra Posted at 3:04 PM Today
They dont mention what the other percent of their diet consists of? Or how much exercise they were getting? Was anyone exposed to chemicals in their daily duties? Go on.. Sit on your butt all day, eat mcdonalds, throw in some vegetables bought from your local woolies that are laced with pesticides and have been frozen for 6 months and you will get a 3% better chance of not getting cancer. Eat organic, reduce chemical intake, stay away from harmful cooking oils and exercise. Prevention is the key.
Fink of Perth Posted at 2:58 PM Today
ARE YOU KIDDING! 3% is fantastic news! Its proof that what you eat affects your health and it CAN improve the odds that you could dodge the dreaded C word. Hip Hip hooray! Now only if we can convince everyone to give up cigarettes and walk for 30 mintues 3 times a week and I'm sure we'll find a dramatic improvement on that 3%. 3% of Australian's population is 681,510 people. Eat your damn apple and carrot sticks. -F- -F-

I dunno, when I don´t get my fruit and vegies I lack energy and my poos are too hard or too soft.

Good energy and a decent crap seem like a good enough reason. Cancer shmancer.

funny saob ut this study is it a 3% greater benfit?

we learnt on friday that it allopathic medicine only needs to have a 0.5% benefit to be a great success..

Yet 3% is not good enough?? you have to read into these numbers corectly im guedding its a bit of a shock tactic troll atempt of an article...

chemotherapys effectiveness is rated at somehting like 0.02% yet its the number one thingto treat something you have a good chance of avoiding in the first place.

sigh

who eats their fruit and veggies just because they think it wards of cancer? You would be a bit of an idiot if that was the only reason, and you would be a very large idiot if you thought just eating a good amount of fruit and veggies would save you from cancer.

Hey I worked cleaning up the chernobyl site but its ok cause I ate 5 serves of fruit and veggies a day so there is no way I'll get cancer.

I eat lots of vegetables, not so much fruit, because I am a vegetarian.

who eats their fruit and veggies just because they think it wards of cancer? You would be a bit of an idiot if that was the only reason, and you would be a very large idiot if you thought just eating a good amount of fruit and veggies would save you from cancer.

Hey I worked cleaning up the chernobyl site but its ok cause I ate 5 serves of fruit and veggies a day so there is no way I'll get cancer.

fruit and vegies and lifestyle changes will save you form cancer

Really, so you are telling me wife's dad who ate more than 5 serves of fruit and veggies each day and then died of a brain tumour was in some way eating the fake fruit and veggies?. And for your information he was quite a healthy eating freak.

Really, so you are telling me wife's dad who ate more than 5 serves of fruit and veggies each day and then died of a brain tumour was in some way eating the fake fruit and veggies?. And for your information he was quite a healthy eating freak.

OMFG you have no idea the response i just wrote and i bumped the move back button on my mouse and it was all deleted

:mad: it was at least 10 paragraphs long..

I will try and sum it up in a few lines...

Its lifestyle, quality of food not quantity and of course shit happens (genetics) . However for a situation to occur in the body through genetic the enviroment for it has to be present. Diabetes for example.. you can be predesposed but unless you make the enviroment right for the problem it wont surface...

Also there is more to lfie and health then 4 serves of fruit and vegies... What was the quality of these like? What were other lifestyle factors / exposure to radiaiton toxins chemicals ect. Proper eating and diet will protect you to some degree im not saying 100% but you will have an obvious better chance then if u ate shit and smoked drank and treated your body like shit.

The fact that people can cure illnesses and disease / cancer with food has to be proof of this. Overseas it is constantly done.. Problem is for the medical community they dont care if you have 100 people and you cure 80% of them form cancer if you cant explain on a ceullular level exactly how it was done... So if you save 5% but can explain exactly how that is what is important to them.. I had this argument with a lectuer on friday he is traditionaly trained allopathic medical dr. His words where well we dont know exaclty what can happen with treatments that we dont not know exactly what happens..

So in the eyes of allopathic medicine you can be saved but we dont know what problems it will cause so we cant go down that path. We have something that will kill you before the cancer does but we know it iwll kill you and exactly how it works so we will use that because it isnt a liability for us as we have tested this method many times on human ginnypigs and they all die so we cant be sued as it is accepted that people with cancer die.

Cancer is a lifestyle disease.. we all get cancer in our life, our body manages to kill those mutated cells many times. So what happens the time it cant? Why cant it? I believe the problem lies with hormones and the endocrine system... And what powers that system? macronutrients and phytochemicals.. what empowers it exercise and mood.. Stress kills stres raises cortisol cortisol suppresses the immune system, stress and depression also lower tetsosterone levels in men.. Testosteorne protects us from cancer and many disease.. So keep lifting and eating well guys your all on the right path.

Last edited:
The saying among doctors is "genetics loads the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger."

Some people are born with loaded guns pointed at their heads. If every male in your family had a heart attack by 50 there´s not much you can do. If every one lived till 95 you can probably get away with a pack a day. I´ve known an alcoholic live till 92, and a vegetarian fit guy have a heart attack at 32 (he survived, but his lifestyle is restricted now).

However, most of us don´t have the extremely good or bad genetics. So most of us will benefit from lots of fruit and vegies, some strength and fitness exercise, not too much drugs, and so on.

None of us will live forever, nor have a perfect quality of life the whole time. All we can do is make it the best and longest life we can, just give it a go.

It´s plain, at least, that unlike sitting on the couch eating Tim Tams all day watching Oprah, or smoking a pack a day, or living on KFC, eating lots of fresh fruit and vegies at least does no harm to you. From "messes you up" to "does no harm" is an improvement.

How does everyone here consume their veggies? I know I'm pretty good with my vegetable intake but I get bored of eating the same old thing all the time. Do you guys have any interesting ways of spicing them up? Interested in hearing your opinions.

I eat curries or stir frys. Swap them for each other every 1 to 2 weeks. Load up on the vegies in them especially peas and broccoli.

Also guys that was my point with Genetics. It was a response to Noobs short "fruit and veggies and lifestyle change will save you from cancer". I was pointing out you can be healthy and steer from bad lifestyle choices and still get cancer due to genetics or anything beyond your control and that his statement was not a very good one, they can help BUT they will not save you.

Last edited:
I eat curries or stir frys. Swap them for each other every 1 to 2 weeks. Load up on the vegies in them especially peas and broccoli.

Also guys that was my point with Genetics. It was a response to Noobs short "fruit and veggies and lifestyle change will save you from cancer". I was pointing out you can be healthy and steer from bad lifestyle choices and still get cancer due to genetics or anything beyond your control and that his statement was not a very good one, they can help BUT they will not save you.

No i believe it was..

Free radicals damage dna cells, free radicals come from the enviroment but alot of the time from what we eat.

Usually your body kills these free radical cells, but when your body is not running at optimum this process cant happen and those cells then reproduce in a matter that is not expected by the human body...

So stop the free radical damage prevent the cancer... go live in the mountains of tibet and eat properly..

If every one lived till 95 you can probably get away with a pack a day. .

this pretty much sums up my family. My Nanna is 90, her younger brother still has his own business at 87, her older brother has been diagnosed with prostate cancer but he's 96 and drinks like a fish, her older sister is getting a bit wobbly, but at 103 who gives a sh!t - she has her 80 something daughter in the same retirment village so she comes and checks on her any way. My grandpa smoked until the day he died - 92. My mum teases me that she'll move in with me at 80 and still be there...when I'm 80.

I like your mums sense of humour puff. You seem to have some good genetics on your side.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok ill state this as simple as i can...

All cells have certain genes that act as enzymes that allow them to self kill or stop themselves from forming into cancer...

When we eat certain foods say steak burnt (carbon) and expose our self to carcionogens or toxins/radiation these things affect the body by stealing protons from our atoms that make up molecules that make up cells that make up tissue that makes up organs that makes up our body.

Wether it be a proton or a electron they steal one you are left with 1 on its own. Now in nature for every proton there is on a atom there is an equel electron present in all things. The number of protons and thus neutrons is allways the same.

Ellectrons that surround atoms are what control its chemical bonds so how it bonds with other atoms to form things.

Free radicals steal this electron leaving the atom unstable.

What antioxidents do is they "give" there electrons to the atoms missing them in the body thus they stop the dangerous consequences of those atoms wanting their electrons back.

This directly affects us as when cells are damaged in this way they can lose their cancer protecting genes thus cancer is formed..

This is the same way radiation works... Radiation itself doesnt kill you it is the stealing of electrons that does because these electrons will do anything to get back what they have lost and this reaks havoc on your body.

When ever you are going for xrays MRI's ect ect remember all these things displace electrons in your body so UP THE ANTI! especially at these times.

Also remember to take vitamin c with food as it needs insulin to work into cells.

Hope that helps someone

No one is disputing that Noobs but it is not the total answer.

Some gene alterations are inherited (from one or both parents). However, having an inherited gene alteration does not always mean that the person will develop cancer; it only means that the chance of getting cancer is increased. Scientists continue to examine the factors that may increase or decrease a person's chance of developing cancer.

From the National Cancer Institute of America. Notice how it uses genetical inheritance of gene alteration to say you can have a greater chance of getting cancer than another. That is the point, Puffs family may have none of these, mine may have many gene defects. So therefore I have a greater chance of getting cancer through radiation, carcinogens etc etc etc etc. I could live in the himalayas and eat the healthiest meals ever, exercise perfectly etc etc and the UV radiation I get could give me enough radiation to cause a tumour due to my inherited gene alterations. Puff could do the exact same as me and live to 120, the bastard.

i've put the theory to the test with a few hundred thousand cigarettes and too much booze when I was younger. i had chronic chest pain a few years ago (turned out I pulled a muscle in my chest) but my GP sent me to hospital in case i had a heartache as the pain was so severe. hooked me up to an ecg, breathing asparatus, x rayed my lungs and a few other things. was given a clean bill of health and was told, "You've clearly never smoked, your lungs are crystal clear and your heart is excellent." i had been smoking about a pack and half a day - my wife was appalled. i don't know how they couldn't smell it.