• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Common mistakes made by advanced lifters

The people at PTC who are in a rut are because of their eating, not their training.

Three hours a week with me, 165 hours away.

I'm good, but not that good, nobody can overcome those odds.

Also, no ADVANCED lifter makes those mistakes.

Fadi aside, their is no advanced lifter on this entire forum.

Greg that Nick mentions is 18, nobody on here is within the same post code as him, and he is 15 years short of his peak.

I, and every single person on here, are novices with some intermediates. I also doubt any will ever get to the advanced stage.

To me an advanced lifter will win or place in National Titles in Powerlifting, Weightlifting or Bodybuilding.

Winning and placing at State level makes you intermediate.

Being the strongest guy in your gym and never competing against others outside your gym has you pegged as a novice, no matter how strong you think you are or how good you think you look.

Its one of the reasons my comps have taken a back seat and I am encouraging my lifters to compete outside PTC, we are even going interstate next week to test the waters.

Nice thread by the way Ceffo, two thumbs up. I understand others may have a different interpretation of what constitutes an advanced lifter, and there opinion cant be wrong, I was just stating mine.

With winning National titles, thats a peak you can achieve without the financial hardship of competing overseas. If thats the peak, it must be advanced. Anything lower than that has to be ranked intermediate.

Last edited:
It depends on how you categorise, some people like to state what Markos is saying as Elite lifters, the very best you can get. I assume that is what you call advanced Markos? And he would be right there is only one person on this board who could be classed an Elite lifter and that is Fadi, he makes me look like a little girl now (besides the height thing) I don't want to imagine how bad I would look when he was at his peak.

I like to think of it as novice, intermediate, advanced and then elite. Personally i think of advanced as someone who is well over the general population around the 2.5xBW squat area and training for at least 3-4 years. I would say a few fit that bill on here, then there a lot of intermediates (some pushing advanced) and novices.

Also that Greg kid is a god damn freak.

Elite is a proffesional, someone who makes a living from his sport, Ronnie, Ed Coan, Dimas, they are Elite.

Although I doubt Ed made any money directly from his sport, prizemoney has only become substancial in powerlifting since the Arnold Classic, but you get my point.

Professional = elite
National competitor = advanced
State competitor = intermediate
Every one else = novice

That doesnt mean that an Elite lifter cant make mistakes or has nothing to learn, plenty of Elite lifters have bombed at World Championhips where they have chosen too big an opener, or Danny Padilla wigging out on his diet and eating a sack of doghnuts before the NY Night of Champions lol

I like your rankings there, maybe change elite lifters to who do it for a living (not so much make a living from it unless they get lucky). Everyone makes mistakes except me cause I am perfect and all....

Professional = elite
National competitor = advanced
State competitor = intermediate
Every one else = novice

I think the word "amateur" conveys what you're saying better than "novice".

Within the amateur class, you can have novice, intermediate and advanced.

If you compete at state or national level, or make money from it, you're professional-class. Beyond that, you're world-class. If you win championships & set records, you're elite.

That's the ranking I get from soccer / football. If in doubt, check FIFA 2010. :p

Anyone that plays sport full time for a living is a professional, otherwise your either a semi pro or a amateur.
Are there really any pro powerlifters in aus ? I doubt it.

Well i thought it was to be proffesional it has to be your profession... ( my spelling sucks)

Yeah well I haven't thought too much about it, but I reckon "novice" is the wrong term to call lifters who aren't professional and don't compete. "Amateur" is the better one.

###

A little more on topic: based on personal anecdotes at my gym, I'd say that the most common mistake that "advanced" lifters make is assuming that they're advanced or awesome just because they've been training for years and have some good-looking muscles.

I have no idea what other mistakes are, because I'm not an advanced lifter nor have I seen one training in person.

Good post but I disagree with the last point about expecting too much. I think people expect too little. And most people are allergic to extreme effort over an extended period of time.

A few examples.

Noobs deadlifting 200kg with the testosterone level of a 10yo girl
Max squatting 175kg @ 75kg, 17yo
Kelly benching 161kg and deadlifting 247.5 @ 83kg

These are all normal people, not genetic freaks. They just know what hard work can do.

I know a genetic freak. His name is greg, he is 18yo, he benched 180kg at 17yo with a single ply shirt. Unofficial world record. He benched 90kg @ 13 and 110kg @ 14.

He is now around 95kg and on monday squatted 260kg for triples with a belt and light wraps, he does 3's on around 250 in the dead with just a belt. FREAK

Dont sell yourself short.

Those are awesome achievements of normal people they should be proud of.

When I'm talking unrealistic I'm talking about the guys on bodybuilding.com who said that if they worked hard anyone could bench 180kg within a year of training naturally.

benched 180kg at 17yo with a single ply shirt. Unofficial world record. He benched 90kg @ 13 and 110kg @ 14.

He is now around 95kg and on monday squatted 260kg for triples with a belt and light wraps, he does 3's on around 250 in the dead with just a belt. FREAK

Impressive.

Where does he train?

Those are awesome achievements of normal people they should be proud of.

When I'm talking unrealistic I'm talking about the guys on bodybuilding.com who said that if they worked hard anyone could bench 180kg within a year of training naturally.

Well they are not advanced lifters. They are oxygen bandits.

Impressive.

Where does he train?

Bodyworld in Balaclava, Melbourne.

I have few years ago n00bs; 9!

Fadi.

Well you beat me haha

No. I've had no reason to.

I am somewhat curious though.

I suggets you do would be interesting to see..

Although as long as you are strong minded and do not feel like you are opening pandoras box in regards to hmm im not optimum i need gear to get best results.

You do not seem to be this way inclinded but some people prone to possibly obsessive style thoughts may think along this way though i doubt you would.

Last edited:
Yeah I might. I'm a tightarse though and I dont really want to spend money i dont need to.

Can you get that sort of stuff done all on bulk billing?

when i become a advanced lifter il re open this thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm an advanced lifter! Well, advanced in years anyway, I'll be the big 4-0 this year... Shame I didn't get into this gig when I was young and had lots of testosterone bouncing around my system. ;)

Ah well, just means I have to work harder.

Cheers,
Mike

Yeah I might. I'm a tightarse though and I dont really want to spend money i dont need to.

Can you get that sort of stuff done all on bulk billing?

Yeah depends on how good your dr is.. like if you explain to him you are having ED ect they will check your test lvls.. Basically they need a reason to put on the pathology form.