• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Drinking while bulking

May as well stop all prohibition full stop and let everyone run rampant..

People that take drugs will take them regardless of legality the difference is the people that are getting robed, home invaded, stabbed, old ladies getting bashed, organized crime making billions from drugs would be reduced 99%.

Personal freedoms are a beautiful thing. Smoke, drink, hire women of the night, do cocaine, I don't care as long as you are prepared to deal with the consequences of your actions. Personal freedom is the freedom to do something, not freedom from the aftermath.

If you want to drink, go for it.

I don't think anything about the OP said he NEEDS to drink to have a good time. I'm sure the poster and their friends do other stuff that is fun and doesn't include alcohol.

As for the poison comment, it's true, it is poisoning, but so is fluoride, the air, the method of keeping bugs off our fresh produce etc etc.

I drink. I love beer, wine, irish whiskey, scotch, rum, gin. But the way I love it, is the same way I love food, music etc. It's an appreciation enjoyment, not an abuse enjoyment.

And opposite to what a lot of people on here say (this board has a lot of members who are very anti-alcohol), I have successfully gone through bulking and cutting phases while drinking alcohol.

I think if you want to, you should. Just be sensible about it.

I really like to have a drink, I drink because I enjoy it not because I need it...
It pisses me off when people on this forum flame other people because they drink, it a personal choice and no one has the right to tell you other wise..
I agree with the person above - I have also bulked an cut while drinking, obviously not to excess but sensibly..

A toxin is a toxin regardless of how much you ingest, the level of toxicity may be reduced that's all.

I agree completely, Shrek. I'm not sure anyone would be silly enough to argue otherwise. But there are a lot of other toxins in this world we consume (with or without knowledge) that can be just as bad or worse.

Without knowledge, well I guess that can't be helped (to an extent), but knowingly ingesting a toxin is just plain stupid and inconsiderate.

BAck to original topic,

Bulking is to make muscles bigger. Yes we can get bigger muscles in a bulking phase because there is an excess of available nutrients for energy, growth and recovery but all calories provided by alcohol are shit. No energy, no building or repair surplus being supplied, alcohol is just excess calories devoid of all nutrients that make us fat and act like a dick.

PS

I don't drink. :)

Rob

Last edited:
I never made said statement. Complex much ?
I was thinking the exact same thing, don't know where he pulled that from?

If you want to have a drink, have one, hell, have 6.

I consider a couple of beers to be like a cheat meal, if you have them, you can't have a cheat meal that week, no biggy. Life is too short.

Life is too short.

Exactly, so why ingest crap that may only make it shorter?

Last edited:
i dont have a problem with people having a drink every now and then.
just for me, im not sure what it is, but any type of alcohol makes me feel sick, even if its 2 drinks. i just had one then, and i feel like throwing up. its not for me.
its not a big social thing in my life, but the gym is

Life is too short.

Exactly, so why ingest crap that may only make it shorter?
That's pretty bloody dramatic post, are you in bed with noobs or something? A few beers here and there isn't going to kill, nor is it going to ruin your bulking. Please note I said a FEW, not binge drinking 3 nights per week.

Of what benefit is the drink to your training and recovery?

Interesting banter here. We seem to have 2 fairly separate camps.

Drinkers and Anti-Drinkers.

This debate is pointless, Itll just go round and round and never stop :D

While I agree with what shrek says, I will never stop drinking (sensibly)
because it is part of my life and I enjoy it, I guess the big thing is whether lifting is the main priority in life for you which in my case it isn't, I lift to keep in shape and for the needs I have (I have no need to be able to dead lift 200kgs) for me its just not practical, and while I have full respect for the effort and discipline of the people that can, to me its pointless...

"personal choice"

This debate is pointless, Itll just go round and round and never stop :D

While I agree with what shrek says, I will never stop drinking (sensibly)
because it is part of my life and I enjoy it, I guess the big thing is whether lifting is the main priority in life for you which in my case it isn't, I lift to keep in shape and for the needs I have (I have no need to be able to dead lift 200kgs) for me its just not practical, and while I have full respect for the effort and discipline of the people that can, to me its pointless...

"personal choice"
What is it that you enjoy, the taste or the drunk feeling you get?
Just curious.

A bit of both sherk, Nothing more relaxing then chilling out fishing with a beer..

Im not totally disagreeing with you, I think people that go out and get absolutely maggot on a regular occasion are silly that's what will harm you.

On a side note, on the news a little while ago, an old fella he had just turned 100 an they asked him what his secret to long life was and he said a pot of beer everyday :)

noobs you can be healthy and still drink...

I think people are combining their personal belief with personal choice. But personal choice should be looked at more objectively.

I think it's great that people don't drink. But don't get righteous and act like it is the only way people should be.

It seems like the anti-alcohol people on here are similar to vegans/anti-meat friends of mine. They believe in it so much, they don't accept anyones reasons for not doing the same. It's fantastic they have such strong convictions, but don't be so down on others for taking a different path.

In the grand scheme of things, alcohol consumption - not in excess - isn't going to do much.

Beer is a tasty drink, so if you want the odd beer, go for it. If you don't like it, for whatever reason, then feel content to not touch it.

I'm sort of in the middle, leaning towards the anti-drinking camp. I have the fish gene in the family and can drink like one. So does my Dad, a few uncles and my grand uncle who could outdrink anyone at the age of 86.

It's about priorities. I don't need to drink to have fun with my mates - this is the stupidest thing in the Australian culture. Luckily peer pressure means nothing to me, and if any of my mates gives me shit for not drinking, I'd like to see how much he deadlifts. :p I used to drink a bit (never to get drunk) when I went out, not anymore. I may at most have a glass of wine and that's it. I want to recover well for my next workout!

Drink if you want, but if you're after a significant change in how your body looks and your strength, you gotta give up a few things, drinking included. If you're not after a significant change, drink away, cheers! Just don't whine when you keep failing to achieve what you want.