• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Name your lifting inuries...

Bulging disc in L4/L5, associated sciatic nerve pain, ect

Vader with those injuries you must have been doing things wrong.

Right Shoulder Rotator Cuff: Always been a nagging injury doing any sort of press.

Left knee: Ditto for all extension type work. Damaged the ligament doing squats with too much weight too quickly.

Right knee: Ligament damage when sailing as a bowman and pulling in a spinaker whilst straddling the spinaker pole. Little gust pulled me sideways while my knee was against the pole but my foot firmly planted on the deck. Couldn't feel the outside of my right knee for hours.

Tore the hamstrings on both legs independently. Nice big muscle belly tears with good bruising and blood pooling down to my shins. First one was over-extended doing Tae Kwon Do and put my foot on my opponents shoulder while sparring to prove I could have cleaned him up only to have him then step backwards and tear the hammie. Other one was just being a dickhead and doing the full splits without warmup showing off. 20 years ago alright! Same outcome, big tear...

All pretty good now. Only the right shoulder still gives me grief and is a bit aggrevated from last night's seated MPs. Sleep, fish oil tabs, rest.

Cheers,
Mike

Bulging disc in L4/L5, associated sciatic nerve pain, ect

Vader with those injuries you must have been doing things wrong.

No I have been at this since 1985. Although the biceps and rotor cuff injuries were early in the game and may have been due to dumbness, the others have just happened as unfortunate events. 25 years is too long to be training like a dick. We all become better as we have been at it longer. Who knows why these things happen?

I will say that I have trained HIT and Mentzer style for most of my training life . NEver let anyone tell you that 2 work sets isn't enough to wipe out a muscle group. Possibly my obsession with brief and infrequent extreme HIT workouts is also a factor. Being so regimented and locked in with my minimalist approach could have been a factor.

When I was my biggest, all my big man friends would be pumping away for a couple of hours and I would be gone home in 20 mins.

This year I am just pyramiding and have increased my volume to more conventional levels. I am training hard but not insane. MAking good weekly gains. Muscle memory is on my side. I have no intention of hurting myself any more.

Rob

With all due respect a poor tradesman blames his tools.

If you are performing an exercise incorrectly you will pay.
The dictum has nothing to do with it.
I want to make this clear to trainees just starting out.

The gym should be the safest place, exercise should not injure you, if it does you need to re-asses your training.
Posted via Mobile Device

The gym should be the safest place, exercise should not injure you, if it does you need to re-asses your training.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:
Current injury left AC joint from going too heavy on bench press partials.
Occasional hamstring twinge.
On going sciatica nerve - don't put this down to a gym injury - just from being fat.

Trev

Fractured nose and chipped eye socket when I face planted my bike HAHA. Biggest headache the next day.

I have never been negative or disrespectful to anyone here.

If you feel the need to act self righteous and tell me that I have trained dumb for 25 years then bite me.

Anyone who thinks my list is due to poor form is both arrogant and dumb.

Science

Youngs Moduluce

Stress over strrain.

Stretch a spring past its elastic limit and it will be broken or stretched, stretch a rubber band too far and it snaps. FACT!

If you don't get it I don't care!

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

I call it as I see it.
I've never met you or know you, I'm reacting to seeing someone who has been training for many years with an extrordinary list of injuries.

You've put forward your view I've put mine, your telling kids to train like rubber bands I think that's just silly.

I'm sure you are a nice fellow, but on this point I just totally disagree.
Posted via Mobile Device

I call it as I see it.
I've never met you or know you, I'm reacting to seeing someone who has been training for many years with an extrordinary list of injuries.

You've put forward your view I've put mine, your telling kids to train like rubber bands I think that's just silly.

I'm sure you are a nice fellow, but on this point I just totally disagree."

Fair that you disagree but telling someone he has hurt himself many times over 25 years of training all because he was doing it wrong every time is a simplistic and superior perspective.

We live and learn. Each time we hurt ourselves, we suffer consequences.

To imply that everything has occurred due to poor training technique is way too general. You might as well just resort to calling me a moron.

and

Spring and Rubber band were an example of materials having a breaking point when stress becomes strain and is placed at a point of no return.

We all have that point.

If you thought I said to train like a rubber band then pop back and try to comprehend my text as it was written.

Everything has a breaking point so it seems do I.

Ive trained with world class weightlifters who have moved heavier weight, trained for longer and still have less injuries.

Ive trained with world class weightlifters who have moved heavier weight, trained for longer and still have less injuries.

This is boring. If you haven't got anything new to contribute then F@CK OFF.

I am not in the witness box here so don't expect me to tolerate being cross examined and put in my place by simply sharing what I have been through.

Sooooo over it.

I don't give 2 F@CKs who you know, who you are or what your credentials are.

Putting me down is just an indicator of what stereotypical dumb lifers you are. Thanks for letting me open my mouth and share. .:confused:

Bye

Rob

No it's not boring it's bloody serious, vader, you feel injuries are a badge of honour? Or a result of overtraining, poor form?
Or all of the above?

It's not about you, you ninny.
Posted via Mobile Device

Apart from aches and pains (that don't last more than a few days) I can't say I've had any injuries. So far that is. :)

Edit: Do calluses count? If so, I had a few of them at the start, but now I wear poofy gloves and my hands are silky smooooooth.

Last edited:
No it's not boring it's bloody serious, vader, you feel injuries are a badge of honour? Or a result of overtraining, poor form?
Or all of the above?

It's not about you, you ninny.
Posted via Mobile Device

No, my injuries are shit weak links that have come undone and caused me grief. No honor to be found here.

But
Never poor form.

Over training possibly
Undertraining possibly ( HIT )
Under warm up possibly
Not enough stretching possibly

But in the end who knows?

If I seemed shitty it's because the back injury meant I had to learn to walk again and was incapacitated for months. Some of the injuries have been life changing.

It's like someone being at the peak of fitness and dropping dead of a heart attack. You wouldn't tell the corpse how many people you know that were fitter than them would you? The damage is done.

Don't expect me to have a happy, polite well mannered chat about events which have been major stuff ups in my life.

I'm not happy about it.

Doctors have told me never to train with weights again.

I will be training until hell freezes over.

You could have genetically poor posterior longitudinal ligaments (holds the disc in at the back of the spine among other things) which under load have given way eventually, or you coul have injured yourself when you were teens to early twenties outside or weight lifting by moving heavy boxes etc improperly like we all did when we were younger and then the ligaments hav finally given away under a heavy load. Your form could have been perfect and it was just a matter of load and time.
Posted via Mobile Device

You could have genetically poor posterior longitudinal ligaments (holds the disc in at the back of the spine among other things) which under load have given way eventually, or you coul have injured yourself when you were teens to early twenties outside or weight lifting by moving heavy boxes etc improperly like we all did when we were younger and then the ligaments hav finally given away under a heavy load. Your form could have been perfect and it was just a matter of load and time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Great to hear some more friendly and accommodating responses.

Thank you!

I did hurt my lower back being a shift worker in the Birdseye frozen veg factory in my early 20s, that meant that my squat and DL form from then on were always very strict and upright......

Dad has had the same bad back forever. Could be a genetic weakness too.

Stress over strain = damage ( Youngs Moduluce )

BUT can we please just drop it.

Having a bad week this week for personal reasons so can we please just move on to someone else?

Thanks Rob