• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I lift in my shed, alone, and I find myself grunting or whatever towards the end of my deadlifts. I'm not sure who I would be seeking attention from when there's noone else around? It just started happening when I started lifting heavier shit. I guess in my case it's ok until the police arrive due to some form of complaint.

I also find my mouth starts moving on it's own undoubtedly making me look f*cking ridiculous, maybe it's my subconscious counter so I don't attract any attention in my empty shed.

My 2cents.

No choice but to Grunt if you are
pushing yourself!

And who cares what others think?? Really!!!

Devante.

I was always taught in martial arts to expell air or noise as you strike. I do the same when pushing weights I struggle with. Grunting is subconcious for me and far from a cry of attention, having said that I have my own gym setup and the only person who hears is my spotter. I think I would make an effort to silence somewhat if I was in a gym.
Posted via Mobile Device
Im the same and always remember those simple rules, i concentrate on my breathing and push the air out as im pushing or pulling the weight, this turns into a grunt on squats and deads. The missus and daughter come and shut the door of the garage beacause apparently its annoying :D

I think grunting is fine, and if you arent making some kind of noise its my oppinon that you arent trying as hard as you could be. I think the annoying thing is how loud people grunt and for what they are doing.

I grunt on most of my work sets for the last 2-3 reps. Its not loud and you probably wouldnt hear it if you were more than 5m away from me.

I have some annoying people at my gym that grunt for everything. There is one guy that you can hear over the other side of the weights room, the worst is when he does bodyweight lunges. Its annoying not because of the fact he is grunting, but how loud it is.

maybe not in a commercial gym, PTC yes, comps yes, olympics yes.

I have grunted once pulling 110kgs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF0VPBP57t0&list=UUh47572HqY_-URrsjPpsO9A&index=24&feature=plcp]Forklift Deadlift.AVI - YouTube[/ame]

I don't purposely grunt, but if it happens I don't give a shit what anyone thinks....I go to the gym to lift, not worry about manners

Im the same if I grunt when working hard then so be it, it's something that happens. I think we all know the difference between someone who is grunting to get attention and the people who are grunting because there going hard at it.

Grunt wherever the fuck you want/need. Fuck everybody else.

Was going to post this pretty much lol
I also find that some lifts I like to grunt but others I don't, and different lifts get different grunts

bench is like HRRRRRRRRRR at the end half of the lift
deadlift I pretty much shout at the start of the lift then air just silently comes out my throat
squat there is no noise I just hold that shit

lol 0ni you make me laugh :D

You make some kinda noise when your moving weight, shifting weight, holding weight, pushing weight or resisting weight. Whether its your breath, a grunt, a groan, a yelp.

My friend Darren shouts when he lifts weight, I find it very amusing :)

Hell I grunt getting off the couch sometimes lol

Why is this? Why should anybody put any less effort into a curl then a deadlift or squat for example? In my opinion you should train every muscle group with the same intensity.

The difference is that squat and deadlift ARE every muscle group.

Also, some people put it on. Especially tennis players :p

because grunting is the valsalva manoeuvre and doing so will add nothing to a curl and 10kg to a deadlift