• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

TrentZor

I generally dont grunt when im not lifting near my personal best.

But generally say if im squatting say 120kg + i would start grunting on my last few reps.

Now i have seen people grunt lifting 30kgs on dumbell bench presses and causing a ruckess (sp?) then dropping it on the ground like it weighed 120kg.

Now forgive my eletism but lifting 30kgs and grunting like the gym was on fire seems a bit wacky to me as its such a dismall weight.

thoughts? Am i just an old and jaded trainer who had forgotten what its like to be new to the sport?

Thoughts?

Were they able to lift 120 though or were they trying their hardest with the weight they had? I personally find a grunt helps me firing up for that last rep whatever the weight.

"Grunting" whilst exerting full effort at your top weights (whatever they are) is fine.

Fadi.

Someone on their last rep of twenty squatting 220kg might also think someone grunting the last set of ten with 120kg be amusing, but I doubt it.

Any lifter regardless of what they do demands respect.
Posted via Mobile Device

Got some snide remarks from a bunch of pencilnecks doing 20kg lat pulldowns about my grunting while squatting 130kg 3x6. I'd love to hear the noise they make with that weight on their back.

For me, regardless of how much you lift, if you're going for max effort, you'll be doing the valsalva maneuver and you'll be grunting. It's the lack of grunting that indicates people aren't working hard enough! :D

i never grunt while working out... ive tried it and it makes no difference whatsoever to lifting. lol... grunt if you want. i choose not to.. but make sure your putting in the effort to grunt.

I don't grunt, I yell :)

but as others said, if it's epic reps, or max weight for a person, noise making is totally fine.
I know a guy that squatted 150 for a pb, made some grunts, and was asked by a worker not to make noise while lifting.

He no longer trains there lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

i never grunt while working out... ive tried it and it makes no difference whatsoever to lifting. lol... grunt if you want. i choose not to.. but make sure your putting in the effort to grunt.

You make a very good point there Brendon. For me it has never been and it's not now that I make a conscious decision to or not to make a sound; if it happens so be it...it came purely from physical exertion (whilst being in the zone) and not from a thinking mind.

I think people here may or may not be taking exception to the way or how audible a "grunt" may sound. As for me, you wouldn't know I'm in the gym training; my "grunts" are hardly audible. I'm no Sharapova!

Fadi.

I grunt doing deadlifts nothing else..

It is a masculine thing, it is fine to do if you are doing somehting that permits it..

For example

Me deadlifitng 200kg has a right to grunt..

The guy next to me doing calf rasies does not.

If someone snatched 200kg at your gym and made noise you wouldnt think twice. But curling in the squat rack with a belt you get the idea...

Grunting in general is just a cry for attention, if you are an attention seeking douche and you want everyone to think you are a loser, go right ahead.

I'm one of the strongest lifters at my gym (It's pretty tame) and when Im pushing for a PB, I don't scream, that shit is gay.

Grunting in general is just a cry for attention, if you are an attention seeking douche and you want everyone to think you are a loser, go right ahead.

I'm one of the strongest lifters at my gym (It's pretty tame) and when Im pushing for a PB, I don't scream, that shit is gay.

Really you think someone attempting a 1rm that makes a little noise out of frustrating/sturggling is crying for attention?

Its like silent sex who the **** enjoys that..

Its masculan its alpha male its just in us, Being tuaght though martial arts to expel force through breath should correlate to lifting.. You tense your diaphram in anticipation for an incoming strike wouldnt that same effect have benefits in aiding in support for ones core?

Not to mention the positive release and feeling of manlyness that can phsycologically allow you to lift heavier wieght?

Im sorry i disagree with you, if it happens it happens. But no it is not out of attention seeking. If im doing a 1rm the last thing im thinking about is watch bicep curling moron is looking at me nor do i care about attracting them with masculan verbalisaiton..

The Rules of Grunting

• It is acceptable to grunt at any weight during the latter half of a work set
  • It is not acceptable to grunt during the latter half of a work set if the lifter was grunting at the same weight six weeks earlier
  • Grunting any time during one-rep and three-rep maxes is okay
  • Sub-max grunting is permissible from rep three of a five-rep set with escalation to all-out grunting acceptable from the fourth rep
  • The spotter is never allowed to grunt in empathy
  • The lifter is to never emit a victory grunt after a particularly good set, but the rule shall be occasionally waived when a personal best is set

NIce Mini..lol

I find I dont grunt much, occasionaly i may, but generally if i am on a last rep of a set and I feel I am close to failure I may umm swear at the bar, I am particulary fond of "Get the, FK up there" the emphasis is expelled as a gruntish sound..and the desired result... I can only remember doing this on bench.

I was always taught in martial arts to expell air or noise as you strike. I do the same when pushing weights I struggle with. Grunting is subconcious for me and far from a cry of attention, having said that I have my own gym setup and the only person who hears is my spotter. I think I would make an effort to silence somewhat if I was in a gym.
Posted via Mobile Device

LOL

I agree Fadi, grunting is believable when maxing out and it's true you ain't no Sharipova.:p

I never take it seriously. If it happens it happens.

When my kid was a little tot she would grunt for me when ever I was squatting.

It's all fun.

Just don't scream and throw weights around. That stupid gorilla attention seeking crap gets old real quick with me.....

For me only acceptable attention seeking in the gym is from:

a) Checking out your pumped muscles in the mirror - while standing directly under the most favorable lights. :p

b) Training with respectable poundages or tenacity.

BUT

attention seeking antics...... those are the guys who you offer give a spot on bench press...... Let them know what maxing is all about. LOL. Just one more... hold it.... and another one.... with me.... now isometric hold....for 10 seconds...... now one more..... youve got it.... its all yours.... last rep takes a good many seconds..... :p To grunt or not to grunt..... they will decide for themselves

Last edited: