• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How to service a Smith machine with linear bearings

Sheesh, I
How about we throw you out? :mad:

just noticved this..

haha shrek dont get ya knickers in a knot...... :eek:

silverback.... understood..... i know what it does just i thought why not sqaut normally? if u have safety bars for squats should all be good.

on another not people need to seriously relax in this forum.. everyones to soft and gets offended with a bit of fun. of course he can use whatever he want. id rather use other things... but seriously..... chill pills need to be had

Last edited:
Going by shreks last performance brendon I'd say his comment to was humour also? ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

If you can squat do it, if you cannot for whatever reason find an alternative.
I will also say that at the end of the day, it's not not how much you squat that's critical so much is just the movement itself that is.
Posted via Mobile Device

hahha ... i cant tell either.. maybe i should read more posts before i post. :-D anyways. zarkov good thing i havent got a high horse and dont need to pull my head in coz im not a turtle.

oh and silverback.. i realsie some cant squat for whatever reasons they cant thats why i asked him why he chooses to use the smith machine

hahha ... i cant tell either.. maybe i should read more posts before i post. :-D anyways. zarkov good thing i havent got a high horse and dont need to pull my head in coz im not a turtle.

oh and silverback.. i realsie some cant squat for whatever reasons they cant thats why i asked him why he chooses to use the smith machine

It's all good I thought that's why you asked, I just clarified.
Posted via Mobile Device

yes I was being humourous, but comments like "throw it out" and put a cover on it" get a little bit stale. This forum does not have a million members, we all see the same comments over again.

From a newbie perspective - I was simply after advice - I do not have as much experience with these things as others on this forum do.

I was kinda hoping that someone would tell me the equipment they would prefer, or that I could have bought instead of the Smith and why. And maybe what I can use the Smith for in regards to training (rather than land fill).

Instead I seem to be caught in the midst on an on-going arguement with a lot of in-jokes and innuendos that I don't understand.

And no - my panties are not in a knot. Just making an observation.

hey littlebloke.. smith machine is ok if you have a reason as to why you cant squat. i would say though most of us prefer to use a squat rack and Free squat. doing a squat outside of a smith machine engages more muscle mainly the smaller stabiliser muscles and is better for gaining strength.. instead i would of bought a squat rack, barbell and 200kg of plates. then a bench as well as then can use the squat rack for bench press.. plus with the barbell you can do a plethora of movements with it.

This is not intended as an argument.
The argument machines vs barbell has been going on for years.
I don't really buy the "stabilizer" issue.
It's true that in the bb squat there is extra importance is placed on maintaining the path of the bar.
But resistance is resistance in a well designed machine the groove that it follows allows the targeted muscles to fatigue fully.
I don't like the smith from a safety point of view.
There are people who cannot receive the benefits From bb squats due to body proportion.
As I said it's not the weight on the bar it's the movement that is.
Posted via Mobile Device

It just gets back to the old tired attitude that everyone assumes everyone else wants to get HUUUUUUGE! or everyone should go for free weights.Not everyone wants to get big or machines are enough for them.
The same goes for gloves,belts and smith machines.

It just gets back to the old tired attitude that everyone assumes everyone else wants to get HUUUUUUGE! or everyone should go for free weights.Not everyone wants to get big or machines are enough for them.
The same goes for gloves,belts and smith machines.

Yes zarkov it also gets back to wanting to make goats piss out of gasoline.

Some extra special people have become huge using machines but the argument there is did they get that big because of it or inspite of it.

Some need to realise it all works
In the field of exercise i don't think we've advanced at all in fact gone backwards.
Posted via Mobile Device

It also really annoys me when I read someone telling us you are a beginner if you cannot squat an arbitary figure.
What should be telling the neophyte is compare yourself only at one point in time to another.
Goals are needed but If you set a goal for a certain date you can set yourself to fail.
Posted via Mobile Device

It also really annoys me when I read someone telling us you are a beginner if you cannot squat an arbitary figure.
What should be telling the neophyte is compare yourself only at one point in time to another.
Goals are needed but If you set a goal for a certain date you can set yourself to fail.
Posted via Mobile Device

What's wrong with that? There has to be a common standard for strength.

If I only compare myself to myself, then I have no real target to chase. If I'm far off the beginner standard, it means I need to work harder. It's not meant to be easy and it's not meant to be kind to my ego.

If you always achieve the goals you set for yourself, then your goals aren't challenging enough. Of course if you fail most of them then you're not being realistic.

Everyone wants to be special these days. Nobody wants to fail, admits that they're sh!t and need to work harder.

Goals need to be based on tangible results like going to the gym regularly, eating clean food and biulding strength.

I'm all for common strength standards, I've been well aware of them for a very long time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Anyways.... WD 40 should get it on the move real nice.

I train alone and have used the smith for inclines for 20 years now. Best way to do em without a spotter. Sometimes for squats but I am an old pre exhaustion HIT trainer so no need for ego poundages.

Above all have fun in the iron.

Lots of fun agreeing to disagree around here.

Stick to your guns. What ever floats your boat.

What's wrong with that? There has to be a common standard for strength.

But who decides what the standard is?And by what criteria?

When someone says X should be benching 20kg more because he has been
benching for two years without knowing his goals WTF is that about?Maybe X is happy where he is and doesn`t want to go heavier.
Unless X says he wants to go heavier or get bigger everyone should just quit the second guessing.