• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The Life of a bodybuilder

How heavy were you there?

only about 84 kg.....

I got heaps bigger around 2000 but carrying a gut. More strong man than bodybuilder to look at but drug monster sized arms. Sorry I have no pics from then as I wasn't really after a look. Gym owner measured my arms at 20 1/4. I wasn't just at home in the bedroom measuring stuff. :p

Muscle memory is with me. I have been there before.

I'll Be Back! ;)

:eek:

That's massive!!

LOL

Maybe but never managed to have a tiny waist and keep the big arms.

I am a bit like Tealc on Stargate. Have you ever seen his abs? ( Never LOL )

Drug free massiveness is doable, just not in contest shape.

Back then I was doing dips with 60kg on belt and 160 Lb triceps push downs. Curls were 85 Lb dumbells seated 2 arms together / not alternate. All reps slow smooth and well within normal range ( not stupid RMX or cheaty )

Ahh... the good old days.

:):):)

Now I am over 40 and am happy just to still be at it.

Last edited:
Do you reckon doing weights slow, and with perfect form built better size than doing heavier weights faster and relaxing form a little?

Do you reckon doing weights slow, and with perfect form built better size than doing heavier weights faster and relaxing form a little?

Still heavy as hell but no pendulum action or momentum. While ever the weight has speed motion it's moving through space on its own inertia. The load is off and you are just going along for the ride.

eg pull downs. Try 3 seconds down 2 sec hold to chest, 4 seconds back to top. Thats 9 seconds per rep. ( That's 72 seconds of continuous tension / real work vs yanking a pendulum ) Does that make sense? Always reach actual failure too. This is bodybuilding technique.
How many power lifters at our local comps have little arms and bench a ton? Most. To make growth happen you need to make the muscle work harder, contract more etc. Lifters are very skilled at getting the weight on the move. The power is in the momentum. To make a muscle grow you need to learn to make it contract harder and to stress it into getting bigger.

Try these

Dips 3sec up, hold 2 sec at top, 4 sec lower to bottom.
Pull downs,
Bench
inclines,
BTN press,
lateral raises
curls
Push downs etc

Squats 5 sec down 4 sec up.

This was my Mike Mentzer secret back in the day.

And only 2 work sets.

The most productive rep of any set is the last ball breaker. Ever notice that that rep takes 3 to 4 seconds? All my reps are that speed.....

BUT BEWARE

When all reps are at that speed there is no slow down phase to tell you you are on your last rep. You can get stuck without warning. I have many times.

Still go as heavy as you can, but keep the motion dead. As soon as it speeds up the tension is off and inertia is what is doing the work.

I have always trained new training partners with this rep speed. They become more in touch with muscle training and less with just lifting.

Have you ever seen footy guys throwing dumbells around for curls. They throw the positive, never hold the top and drop the negative. Only real value is overall work stress and overtraining. Almost no mass benefit at all. As for the bouncing to chest bench press?? Need I say more?

Last edited:

Progression is key.
Just move the weight in a controlled cadence, slow enough to be able to pause .
To the super slow people I say why not just go slower???

The first rep must be identical to the last, I mean how many people here move around, contort themselves, cheat a little, swing move slower to get the last rep?
That's not progression.
Posted via Mobile Device

Silverback, have you ever squatted heavy wieghts? try doing 5 reps at 80% of your 1rm, the last rep is going to be nothing like the first.

You are a tool my friend, keep spewing forth your completely misguided, wrong information.

Hope you like being weak.

LKT, Silverback is well respected around here.

How about posting up some of your own lifts?

I know im only a noob to this site....... But hasnt this gotten a little bit off topic?

If LKT is the guy im thinking of though, he can lift. And he must be doing something right with the OUTSTANDING progress he has made in the last 2 months. I tend to agree with him on this one.

At the end of the day, its going to be different strokes for different blokes.

Squats: 150X5, 160X3, 165X2, 170X1
Close grip bench: 110X1
Deadlifts: 195X1
Overhead: 110X1
Clean: 100X1

None of these are max lifts, just what i have done so far.

I am at a loss about the children comment though.

LMAO at this thread. It sounds like a conversation you hear in a school playground. "You tell me". "No you first". "waaaaaaaaaaaa I'm dobbing on you".

LOL.

Squats: 150X5, 160X3, 165X2, 170X1
Close grip bench: 110X1
Deadlifts: 195X1
Overhead: 110X1
Clean: 100X1

None of these are max lifts, just what i have done so far.

Shit mate, impressive numbers there (110kg overhead? Fark!). Are you training at PTC? How long have you been in the game?