• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

lower rep vs higher rep range?

M

midz

hey, lately ive been doing 10-12 reps, and lifting as heavy as i can for those reps. i was just wondering to put on size, is it better to do that style of hypertrophy training or is doing 3-6 reps with a very heavy weight better for size gains.
any advice would be greatly appreciated.

hey, lately ive been doing 10-12 reps, and lifting as heavy as i can for those reps. i was just wondering to put on size, is it better to do that style of hypertrophy training or is doing 3-6 reps with a very heavy weight better for size gains.
To put on size you need to do three things:
  1. eat
  2. bust your arse, whatever the rep range, make it a weight you can only just lift that many times
  3. eat
As Markos likes to say, strength is built in the gym, size at the dinner table.

higher reps are better for mass gain, but you must also throw in a few weeks of the 5-3 rep range in order to build strength and create a new stimuli on the muscles.
8 weeks of 8-12 and then 4 weeks of 3-5, week off.

strength training gains size form volume.

If you do not trai nfor strenght you will be weak regardless of size.

Example, I saw Kai Greenes chest workout, ramping up the weight doing 10-15 reps on 140kg, then 180kg, then reps on 220kg...

lower rep vs higher rep range?

Every rep range is here to serve a particular pupose. Please look below: I can't post the table now so please do check it here: http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/9124-fadi-bodybuilding.html It displays the different muscle fiber types with with different rep ranges.

Our musculature system is not exclusively one type or another; it's mixed about 50/50. A bodybuilder who never ventures into the high rep territory is missing on a certain percentage of muscular growth through stimulating such slow twitch type I fibers. Please don't take my word for this so let's look at what happens in the real (bodybuilding) world.

You pick a magazine and you are surprised to see your idol bodybuilder is now touting the benefits of high rep sets. Ask this bodybuilder few questions and you'd come to know that he has always been under the impression that only one certain rep range is good whilst all else is bad or unproductive. Somehow someone convinces him to give high reps an honest go and lo and behold, his muscles just explode into growth!

What took place do you think? Nothing really special in my opinion, he simply (and finally) did something which has activated/stimulated the type of fibers he thought never existed. This same example can be reversed so as to have a high rep bodybuilder who got convinced of venturing into some low or mid rep range territory.

Moral of the above, see exactly what you need and work towards it. Never stay away from one particular rep range for too long lest you lose whatever effect it had on your muscular growth/strength/different type of muscular growth (sacroplasmic/myofibrilar) in the first place.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=QWSn4iKgNo8C&dq=Science+and+practice+of+strength+training.&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=v2b9NhLIAt&sig=15ayLz-YWp1Y4LNaJYfXdQYbqyw&hl=en&ei=KRjQSpu5JqjU6gPeh-DyAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CA4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Check: Muscle Dimensions pages #48-50 above for more on the last point I made. Thank you.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Whatever the range is - must be progressive.
I tell you know the secret is there is no secret.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dunno about that mate. I've seen some pretty strong BB's who never train specifically for strength.

You are talking about professionals not normal people..

With your statement i could argue against it saying BB are stronger then normal people but weak as shit compared to professional strong men.

So if you do not train to be strong you will not be strong better then average isnt strong its simply better then average....

If billgates has 20 gazillion dollers and i have 100 and everybody else has 10 bucks am i rich? No im just a little better then the majority.

Where did I mention professional athletes?
I've squated 150 x 5 and do not train for strength and I garauntee there's guys who squat more for more reps. I don't and never have trained for strength.

I've squated 150 x 5 and do not train for strength...
Now close your eyes Adrian and just imagine what you would be squatting if you really trained for strength! Try 200kg for starters and 220kg not far behind it...

150kg is impressive in anyone's book especially when the lifter does not specifically train for strength. Well done mate.

Fadi.

I don't care how much I squat. I care about having massive tree trunk legs, weather they squat 150 or 250. I know I am stronger than most so that's good enough for me.
You can see size you cannot see strength.

I don't care how much I squat. I care about having massive tree trunk legs, weather they squat 150 or 250. I know I am stronger than most so that's good enough for me.
You can see size you cannot see strength.

Yeh you're right!

This is true, but I still like setting up beside the 100kg lad and out benching him lol

you can see size and you can witness acts of strength, Personally i am aiming for a balance of both..

so Fadi,....you mention doing hi rep and low reps sets each week, do these have to be in different sessions or can you pyramid up each session ie:
60 x 10
80 x 8
90 x 6
100 x 3
110 x 1, and keep pushing these each week, its what i do when getting close to a peaking out so to speak, but generally i cycle up to it. Once I hit my Pb or 1 rm maxes I drop the weights back down, starting at a slightly heavier weight and building up to and beyond my previous pbs. as i peaked around Aus day I am now doing bigger reps, about 10, some exersises 20 but try not to go less than 8 at the moment, in a few weeks I will start increasing the weights and, tapering out the sets /reps again..sort of a grow some muscle , then teach it to be strong..

This is true, but I still like setting up beside the 100kg lad and out benching him lol

you can see size and you can witness acts of strength, Personally i am aiming for a balance of both..

so Fadi,....you mention doing hi rep and low reps sets each week, do these have to be in different sessions or can you pyramid up each session ie:
60 x 10
80 x 8
90 x 6
100 x 3
110 x 1, and keep pushing these each week, its what i do when getting close to a peaking out so to speak, but generally i cycle up to it. Once I hit my Pb or 1 rm maxes I drop the weights back down, starting at a slightly heavier weight and building up to and beyond my previous pbs. as i peaked around Aus day I am now doing bigger reps, about 10, some exersises 20 but try not to go less than 8 at the moment, in a few weeks I will start increasing the weights and, tapering out the sets /reps again..sort of a grow some muscle , then teach it to be strong..

What you've got above is great Mick. Although some (people in the know) prefer to maintain the same reps and weight throughout the exercise, claiming it's better for the nervous system, I see no problem with pyramiding. If you check my bodybuilding program, you'd find that I do both, ie: same reps throughout the session at times, whilst mixing it up at other times.

Fadi.

Last edited:
i struggle with the concept of hitting a pb in the squat, then a few days latter working away from that number. It looks like two steps forward, 1.5 steps back. For example when i first squatted two two plates, years ago i felt at the time insecure about using more weight. So i lowered the weight (i don't remember to what) but it was enough to make the 100kg another long journey ahead of me. Long live the bulgarian training system
Posted via Mobile Device